Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

discussion 200 .co's or 4 good .COM's? BIN or Make an Offer? Let's find out!

This is a general discussion thread revolving around the a topic of the original poster's choice.

JLJ

Level 1
Epik Staff
Reaction score
I’ve never been an hardcore domainer at all. Until last year, I’ve never had more than 40 domains at one single time, and I’ve been in for about 4 years now I guess. Calling it a hobby until 1 year ago is an overstatement. I’ve had 5 sales all my life, and all 4 lifted me from very severe financial discomfort, which many of you here might relate to. Life took a turn for the better, and I can now diversify more into domains.

But you know, all my life with little means have made a cheap ass dude I’ll tell you folks that. Now that I'm taking domaining more seriously, I’m not only always looking for a big ROI, but I'm always looking for the best deal, trying to find a balance between quantity and quality. I guess we all want that. I like to get into things early, so research, brainstorming and hand-registering during promos has been my preferred method of making money through domaining, and you folks who have had less to work with will understand.

I’ve read many, many threads on this topic, and learned a lot over the years. So I’ve taken the time and effort to do a little experiment to see if I can give back some good data to the community.

I’ve taken the opportunity of Epik’s .co promo, and I’ve spent $200 on 200 .co domains. All my 4 figure sales until today were .co believe it or not, so you can take your .com maximalism to another thread.

These domains were grabbed over 2 weeks from the daily drop on ExpiredDomains.net. There were no particular niches or keywords chosen, and the general guide I used was common sense - names must be whole (no better version of the domain apart from it being .com lol).

At the same time, I've spent $200 in 4 SquadHelp Premium .COM Domains (2 5L and 2 Two-Word Generic). You know how there's always one dude that goes full on "might as well pay 500 for a good name that 500 for 100 average names"? We got it okay Jeff, everybody knows your purist opinion, just shut up preemptively while we try to find out if there's some merit to this.

I've divided these names into two sections of 100. These two sections will be split into two, where 50 will have a BIN Price under $2k, and the other 50 will have Make an Offer. We'll use the best landing pages in the domain industry - Epik.com and the new DAN.com.

Setup is the following:

- 50 Domains on Epik.com Make an Offer
- 50 Domains on Epik.com BIN + Sedo MLS
- 50 Domains on DAN.com Make an Offer
- 50 Domains on DAN.com BIN

The goals of this experiment will be to ascertain the following:

- Can I make my money back in one year? If yes, in how many sales and what's the ROI?
- Discover the difference on average between BIN and Make an Offer conversions on the same platform.
- Discover the difference on average between BIN and Make an Offer conversions different platforms.
- Are "brandables" and generic two-words .co domains hot enough to warrant a future investment?
- If I couldn't make my money back, what's the lesson given all the statistics?
- Are one year promo investments in volume worth it?
- Is Jeff right after all?

What you guys think? Will I make my money back? Or will I lose it all and have to stop being cheap about my acquisitions?

Find out this and more on the next episode of "Maybe I should've bought ADA instead, but let's hope this pays off"!

Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This reminded me of an earlier experiment that I started using the amounts of our stimulus checks in different investments.

I chose to buy more quality .coms than quantity of something else though.

I think that this one might play in your favor as you look like you have well researched each name and didn't just slap a list together in 30 minutes and call it a day. If even one sale comes from it, you should be breakeven.

The real test will come next year though. I'm unsure what the renewal price of -- let's just say a hypothetical 195 names -- would be. Will the 5 sales cover the rest for another year? Will you be fine dropping the rest as you would have profited (time not factored in)?
- Are "brandables" and generic two-words .co domains hot enough to warrant a future investment?
I'm interested in knowing this myself. But, it looks like I'll have to wait a year. ;)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

i don't reg during promo's
why?
because you're in a state of mind, that the amount you are spending, at the time, is of no significance.

when you pay full price, more analyzing goes into acquisitions.

additionally, the spread between promo price and renewal price is too wide, for .co

imo...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
because you're in a state of mind, that the amount you are spending, at the time, is of no significance.
I would definitely agree here for 1-day pricing. Perhaps some of the names could be on a wishlist from past research, but even then, if they lasted that long... they're probably not worth registering.

But from the sound of it, it looks like they were purchased over weeks which would be the best to get quality out of the quantity. Time doesn't seem to have played a factor here much.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators