Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

$25,000 is great, but am I getting ripped off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Obviously they're at their peak. If you keep rejecting their offer any further they will most likely go elsewhere. It might take years before you will get this kind of offer again on your domain name. Just my 5 cents.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's more then a fair offer!

Rather suspect nonetheless, given the jump in price and offering of domains as part of the transaction.

I'd go with Katherine's suggestion to sell the domains and use that cash to increase their offer.

While a good offer is nothing to belittle, I wouldn't let them bully you. You hold the cards, given the rarity of good LLL's.

What I'd do is I'd contact brokers and the like who have waiting buyers for LLL.com's (there are plenty of them), and say you're looking for at least $30k.

IMO, you shouldn't have much trouble getting it.

Remember, at this point, $23.5k is a sure thing. Shop it around for a bit more (you have 7 days) and if that fails, you've got your surefire $23.5k.

limestar

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sure thing hardly. Buyer does something in between the doddling and suddenly doesn't have the cash to do the domain buy and may have capital tied up for quite awhile. Seems like an attractive offer to me. How many offers do u get on this domain per year?

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure thing hardly. Buyer does something in between the doddling and suddenly doesn't have the cash to do the domain buy and may have capital tied up for quite awhile. Seems like an attractive offer to me. How many offers do u get on this domain per year?

For this kind of money, I would hold them to the contract to which they bound themselves by saying "Please seriously consider our offer and respond to us in 7 days. If it fails, we will try other domain. This will be our last inquiry."

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the other offer activity you get (we sold off our LLL .com domains a long time ago so I'm not sure how active the market is for them at this point).

Going by your initial post, you said yourself you don't see much downside to their offer. If that's truly the case, why NOT accept it? That offer is considerably above reseller price at this point even with the repeating P. As long as they're proceeding through escrow, I say go for it. You can buy very nice quality meaningful names with that kind of money right now.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Take the deal and the LLL while the offer is there, it may not come around again for a long time.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Take the deal and the LLL while the offer is there, it may not come around again for a long time.

The offer is a given for the next 7 days. He is free to go about his own way and seek out other offers during this time.

Which is exactly what I'd do. If I have jokers offering me $15k, I have the peace of mind of knowing I have $8.5k more waiting for me. And I can use that as truthful leverage to say "If you really want this domain, you know what to do. I'll sell to whoever gives me the nicest-looking number. Not the nicest-sounding reasons/explanations/etc."

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is what you need to ask yourself Sitka.

If you counter at 30K and they walk and the deal falls apart will you regret it?
Do you have plans for that money? If you've gone back and fourth 35 times you both look motivated to put a deal together.
If it means waiting years for the next offer - which may not be 35K will you regret it??
There is no shortage of names...

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with them, but I am a bit surprissed all the optimistic "six-figure" domain owners are not telling you to ask for more.

As someone above posted, if you could sell it (not any day but any year) for $15K, you only lose $8.5K by blowing the deal.

If you did ask for $50K firm, there is a 50% chance IMHO they would walk away and you would "lose" $8.5K (and that other domain name if they are still willing to throw it in) and a 50% chance they would say yes giving you a $33.5K profit.

Sitka Brett

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I probably already blew it. Based on most of the comments here, I was prepared to accept the offer. Then I put vpp.com up for sale with afternic.com and paid for their appraisal. They appraised it at $60,000. Last night I emailed the broker and sent her a copy of the appraisal. I told her based on the appraisal value, I was passing on her offer. She wrote back with well wishes. The deal's over. I would have had regrets either way. In the end, I chose to go keep vpp.com to give it an honest chance on the open market. Time will tell if it was a good decision. We've had it 16 years. And I've got 50 years ahead of me. I appreciate everyone's feedback!!

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with them, but I am a bit surprissed all the optimistic "six-figure" domain owners are not telling you to ask for more.

As someone above posted, if you could sell it (not any day but any year) for $15K, you only lose $8.5K by blowing the deal.

If you did ask for $50K firm, there is a 50% chance IMHO they would walk away and you would "lose" $8.5K (and that other domain name if they are still willing to throw it in) and a 50% chance they would say yes giving you a $33.5K profit.

So .. Let's say he'll lose this deal and he will lose out on the $23,5k offer. According to you; he will only "lose" $8,5k if he can sell the name for $15k in a year or so later. But, .. how much cash could he have made in that year by re-investing those $23,5k he would initially have gotten by selling VPP.com today? Not to forget about the additional domain he can resell for another $5k+ profit.

I have no idea why anyone here would say that this is a deal worth risking. He has got a great offer on the table and obviously he has stretched it as far as he can. Those saying he can easily get more really have no idea what they're talking about. I'm 100% confident not a single one of the known LLL.com buyers/domainers would pay anywhere near that price for this domain. At least not in the nearest future.

Also BTW, rest assured the LLL.com broker/buyer who contacted you about your name is watching this thread closely. So he/she is already one step ahead of you if you decide to stretch this deal any further. :)

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

I probably already blew it. Based on most of the comments here, I was prepared to accept the offer. Then I put vpp.com up for sale with afternic.com and paid for their appraisal. They appraised it at $60,000. Last night I emailed the broker and sent her a copy of the appraisal. I told her based on the appraisal value, I was passing on her offer. She wrote back with well wishes. The deal's over. I would have had regrets either way. In the end, I chose to go keep vpp.com to give it an honest chance on the open market. Time will tell if it was a good decision. We've had it 16 years. And I've got 50 years ahead of me. I appreciate everyone's feedback!!

Why did you pay for an appraisal when 20+ experienced domainers have already appraised the name for you in this thread? ..

Anyways, you don't sound desperate to sell and you say you have the patience to wait, so I'm sure you will get a good price for the name some day. Best of luck!

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So .. Let's say he'll lose this deal and he will lose out on the $23,5k offer. According to you; he will only "lose" $8,5k if he can sell the name for $15k in a year or so later. But, .. how much cash could he have made in that year by re-investing those $23,5k he would initially have gotten by selling VPP.com today?

If you put the money in the bank, it's 1%, 2% or 3%, which is unlikely to keep up with inflation - of holding any asset such as a domain name.

Of course if you are paying 18% on credit cards or with some skill and time added to your investments you can earn a higher rate more.

The name was up on Afternic for a minimum bid of $40K and a BIN of $125K.

$25K was a good retail price IMHO and the opinion of many above and $50K would have been a great retail price. You are going to scare people awake in the $25K to $40K range by having a six figure BIN, which it sounds like you have done. A BIN of $50K would get people (the very few retail customers wanting that exact name) thinking that it's only a bit more than I want to pay.

Sitka Brett

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One reason we passed had nothing to do with business. My wife and I are both stretched thin with everything else in our lives and we just weren't ready to deal with this right now. Not the best reason, but our reality, nonetheless. And again I appreciate all the feedback here. But like someone wrote, "don't sell if you're going to regret it." Ultimately, that's the advice that fit our situation best for now.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you put the money in the bank, it's 1%, 2% or 3%, which is unlikely to keep up with inflation - of holding any asset such as a domain name.

Of course if you are paying 18% on credit cards or with some skill and time added to your investments you can earn a higher rate more.

The name was up on Afternic for a minimum bid of $40K and a BIN of $125K.

$25K was a good retail price IMHO and the opinion of many above and $50K would have been a great retail price. You are going to scare people awake in the $25K to $40K range by having a six figure BIN, which it sounds like you have done. A BIN of $50K would get people (the very few retail customers wanting that exact name) thinking that it's only a bit more than I want to pay.

I have no idea why you're talking about bank interest. I obviously meant the profit he could have made by re-investing those $23,5k in other domain names.

Also, what does the minimum bid on an Afternic listing has to do with the value of the domain name? .. :confused:

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it's now obvious from the original poster's last post that they have neither the time nor skill to speculate or invest in domain names.

$25K today is $25K today not some future profits, which to me is like counting chickens before they hatch.

But even assuming that $25K today should include some future profits (which I don't agree with), then $50K today should also include some future profits to, which does not really change the math of the "bet" on what price to ask for - all numbers would just be scaled up by the "future profits."

For example, I know some people who can invest $25K in a rental house, put in hours of work, and wait years to earn $100K (if all goes well). If they had $50K to invest, they could buy two houses or a large house and earn $200K (if all goes well).

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was a good offer.

By the way, as a domain reseller, I might be interested at around $10,000 range for the domain if in case you like to sell it in near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators