Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed 3Gtechnology.net

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tee

I like e and i names cause they are mild references which one might want to get especially if one has intentions of getting the generic root.

E and I have undergone some branding and are known!

Ebusiness is practically a word. Email is.

The thrill of the e and i name is in having the root to deliver the highest quality you can in whatever situation.

E and i can work, just like any generic can fail........

As long as its recognized and accepted, who knows.

Domain summit 2024

I don't really see why anyone would chose to use a .biz name unless they really can't afford a decent .com? Dot com is the standard so most businesses use it, but what would be the point of a business switching to another extension? how would it improve their bottom line?

T

Tee

I think .biz could do ok - only because I think the registry is running on extra cylinders.

T

Tee

Snoopy, by getting as descriptive a name as possible with .biz.

.Com is hardly a guarantee of anything. Get a much more stronger and direct name with the .biz ( at a huge savings hopefully) and rock with it.

Is it so unlikely?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
snoopy, there are

1. existing businesses with existing online presence

2. exisiting businesses with no online presence

3. existing businesses who want to expand their online presence

4. new businesses and new business models wanting to get online

New B2B exchanges using the .biz extension is an example of one such model that category 2, 3 and 4 can benefit.

T

Tee

Its not about businesses switching perse

Its about new business created with biz and old businesss joining

Its the upstarts on the fringes......

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
touche, tee, touche :eek:

Originally posted by Tee
Snoopy, by getting as descriptive a name as possible with .biz.

.Com is hardly a guarantee with anything. Get a much more stronger and direct name with the biz and rock with it.

Is it so unlikely?

tomsters,

yes I can see that given the low registration numbers better keywords could be picked up in .biz, so it has value if you want a cheap, highly descriptive name.

But surely anything other than .com for a business would result in a % of customers going to the .com by mistake? which would likely be a competitors site. I do have a few names (.coms) that others have in .net/.org etc and the amount of misdirected mail is quite amazing, not to mention the free type ins.

T

Tee

Very true but you could also say that all looks at sex.whatever are losses for sex.theestablished in a sense. And you know it!

Just by sex.other being in existence and being advertised means loss for sex.original.

So no, it is not sex.whatever that must worry.....

It is the established which is being reduced.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Traffic is not everything. In fact traffic only serves to steal bandwidth from those who stumbled onto the site, see they came to the wrong site, don't buy anything, then leave.

A good business model needs to ride on a loyal relationship built with its customers, not on curious free-loaders.

Originally posted by Tee
Very true but you could also say that all looks at sex.whatever are losses for sex.theestablished in a sense. And you know it!

Just by sex.other being in existence and being advertised means loss for sex.original.

So no, it is not sex.whatever that must worry.....

It is the established which is being reduced.

tee,

very interesting point. To me sex.net is a very valuable name, but only because of the type in's. In terms of brandability I don't think it ranks very well at all (I may have hide in my doghouse after saying that :)), because as soon as you spend money on advertising a % of your visitors will likely confuse it with the .com.

So I think there is a big differnce between buying a /.net/.org for type ins as compared to buying it to brand with....

Originally posted by mole
Traffic is not everything. In fact traffic only serves to steal bandwidth from those who stumbled onto the site, see they came to the wrong site, don't buy anything, then leave.

A good business model needs to ride on a loyal relationship built with its customers, not on curious free-loaders.

I don't agree with that, type in traffic isn't only about typos. True type in traffic can be extremely valuable and people make type in's because they are looking for a site related to your domain.

T

Tee

Traffic/Quality

As you know, they got ta find ya, ta bookmark ya.

Even content needs eyeballs.

T

Tee

.Com will undoubtedly get some generic/default traffic as a result of non .com advts.

.Com is the typein standard.

I'm not arguing otherwise. I'm saying that every little success in to a .whatever is a potential loss for .com.

I believe .info will steal some of .coms thunder - .us complicates things only slightly....

.info really works hardcore in some ways....

I guess we'll see and hopefully communicate honestly about whatever we do see!

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
exactly, thus the domain baskets theory.

You devote one site to beacon out the search engine with specific key words. Load in a lot of descriptive text regarding that key work, optimise the entire site this in mind.

Then channel traffic with prominent links to your main site, optimised for user experience, and not the search engines.

Multiply this chaining by a factor of ten - linking standalone sites with the same theme, and bang, you've just created the ultimate search engine fortress.

when you use a tld other than .com, you are effectively increasing the size of the domain name by the characters in the tld because people are used to adding .com.

example:

books.com - they only need to remember books
books.biz - they have to remember books and biz, so may as well be remembering booksbiz.com or booksfun.com

the non .com domains are like out of town shopping malls, there has to be a reason for people to bother going and marketing for them to know the mall exists. Right now, there doesn't appear to be that driving force to make people want to switch - and just because some shops are closing downtown in .com doesn't mean people will look elsewhere as there are a myriad of other shops downtown to use.

Personal preferences to tld's are fairly immaterial to domain resale value and benefits from usage. It's a .com world right now with no evidence that things are set to change anytime soon.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal preferences to tld's are fairly immaterial to domain resale value and benefits from usage. It's a .com world right now with no evidence that things are set to change anytime soon.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that .info and .biz are hardly recognised today, what with all the delays due to the .biz lottery fiasco and LL fraud for Afilias still unresolved. Many of the best names are still locked or pending legal challenge.

It will take at least 2 years before we start seeing real movement in the .info and .biz front from the internet masses.

B2B businesses may move a lot faster on .biz, on the main the lag will be most felt with B2C businesses. They still need dotcom. .biz means nothing for B2Cs.

.biz was first and foremost created to serve the business community, and cannot be "sold" The best you can do is to sell a business model, in which .biz domains are integral to that model.

Buying .biz and .info domains is not for those without the stamina to stay out and then renew for another 2 years. It will take that long before real value is appreciated with these extension.

What is true however, is that most early speculators in the game for .info and .biz got really amazing collections that puts their dotcom collections to shame.

I maintain that .biz is great for building massive B2B exchanges using almost perfect name sets relating to an industry, and .info is great as a search engine beacon.

Only when, and if, .shop becomes the next gTLD, most B2C will just have to settle with .com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom