Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

$50 seem a little steep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is a great forum and all, but it's based on message board system that costs $85 per year if you buy a license and can be hosted for probably $10 a month.

if a platinum membership were $5 a year or something, i'd be right in there.

not trying to be cheap, but $49.95 a year is pretty hefty for any internet service, let alone one that would normally be free and supported by advertising.

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is being discussed in the feedback room as we speak

i for one know that this site will cost more than $10.00 hosting - the site has up 90 online users at the one time which is a helluva lot of bandwidth

check out the feedback room though :):)

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It would not be free anywhere else - and this isn't just a forum.

100's of names are bought & sold here every week. Yet there are no transaction fees - handling charges - etc.

Also - if you really think this site (with the bandwidth we use) could be hosted for $10 a month - then I don't know what to say to you. That is so far off the mark - that it's insulting.

So to say because the message board license only costs so much - and then to disregard ALL the other facts - and say it's just a forum - is wrong.

In addition - you DO NOT have to pay $50 just to browse and use the message boards. That is ONLY for people who want the perks of selling names - buying cheap 'Snaps' - etc.

For those who do choose to become Platinum members - $50 / 12 = $4.16 a month. HALF of one reg fee.

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i think someone summed it up when they said if you havent made $50.00 through dnforum then dont pay it

i think most members who have been here a few months had picked up a few bargains and sold them for premium prices

i totally understand members feelings for paying to view a forum - regardless of the price but nics right - this isnt a general webmaster forum. The quality of domain traders here is probably the best on the web - im still learning myself.

The way i look at it is - the money ill make here through trading and making contacts is at least 10 times the fee being charged - if not more

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com
For those who do choose to become Platinum members - $50 / 12 = $4.16 a month. HALF of one reg fee.

That's less than a $1 a week! If you are not getting information or services here that are worth at least $1 a week to you, then you are not reading the threads, not following tips on news drops, not using the auctions, not learning anything about the business, etc. If all that is true, what is it that you do here?

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com

Also - if you really think this site (with the bandwidth we use) could be hosted for $10 a month - then I don't know what to say to you. That is so far off the mark - that it's insulting.

what's it cost then? for $100 you can have a DEDICATED server capable of MILLIONS of requests.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fonzerelli_79
$100.00 - whats that - per day

seroiusly, show me a large vb powered forum which is run on a $100 dedicated server

please tell me what it costs then.... now i'm genuinely curious. i have a website that gets 5000-6000 users a day at times. it's on a shared plan. it has ssi, forms, mysql needs, etc. never had a problem. am i just lucky? what is so bandwidth intensive about this bulletin board? maybe processor and mysql intensive, but those are machine issues, not bandwitdh issues.

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cmason22

please tell me what it costs then.... now i'm genuinely curious. i have a website that gets 5000-6000 users a day at times. it's on a shared plan. it has ssi, forms, mysql needs, etc. never had a problem. am i just lucky? what is so bandwidth intensive about this bulletin board? maybe processor and mysql intensive, but those are machine issues, not bandwitdh issues.

well the first host i had deleted my account and told me it was costing them too much money

for example - the last site i sold used php/mysql www.affiliate-review.com - it didnt use that much cpu time

but the forum i got chucked for had 1000 members at the time and the most it had was 15 members on at the one time - compared to 90 here

when you load one page on a forum the server has to access over a dozen scripts

i learned about this the hard way - i had to actually get rid of the forum in question because it just couldnt bring in enough revenue to match the cost of the hosting. And dnf is about 6 times the size that was in terms of users online

believe me - forums need to be profitable or theyll die because they are expensive to host - anyone who has run a forum before will agree with me

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fonzerelli_79

when you load one page on a forum the server has to access over a dozen scripts

ok, fine. that may be. but to be clear, those are not bandwidth issues. you may have been hogging server resources, but you aren't cranking bandwidth. perhaps your host didn't want you using up such a large percentage of the server resources.

people starting yelling about bandwidth after my $10 hosting comment. i just can't see how this site uses an especially large amount of bandwidth.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This site is in the top 2000 Alexa sites, by traffic. Do you expect top 2000 sites are done at $10/month hosting? Does Yahoo's servers cost $100/month for hosting, by that logic?

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
currently 75 gigs of throughput can cost as little as $35/month of high quality bandwidth. Just a question, not taking sides here, how much does this website eat per month?

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One can't serve it on a Commodore 64, though -- one would need a good server, backups, etc. What happens if a hard disk crashes? Would you want the forum and its 100,000+ posts to disappear?

And, I think one should also respect the investment in time...that's priceless. One's time to manage the forum, at even minimum wage, adds up quickly.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So far concurrent users rarely go above 100. I think a RackShack $99 - $159 per month server could handle the load. That's still a substantial cost though.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgeK
One can't serve it on a Commodore 64, though -- one would need a good server, backups, etc. What happens if a hard disk crashes? Would you want the forum and its 100,000+ posts to disappear?

And, I think one should also respect the investment in time...that's priceless. One's time to manage the forum, at even minimum wage, adds up quickly.

yes, i agree, time is a valuable thing. The most valuable thing for me anyway. As for backups, etc, its come with the service. This is a mySQL database, gets backed up every day i am sure. Anyway, i am not getting into an argument here, dont get me wrong. I'm not going to say nything else, i dont want things to be taken the wrong way.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
Point8T you must have been in your HS Drama team. How many times are you going to say you're leaving? Don't answer that. Just do what you say you're going to do.

You just proved my point. Thank you, now i have no doubts and regrets. Please allow me to finish up my business with CoolHost, or at least let me notify him/her that we will finish up though email, give me 2 minutes and you can close my account. Thank you.

P.S. for the record, where did you just see me say i am leaving again? Perhaps you are mistaking this thread with another. I simply stated that i dont want to make things worse and will avoid this argument and not take sides.

You on the other hand just showed me which side to take.

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i would like to know exactly how much does this forum cost you a month gregr?
This forum uses about 25-35 GBs of bandwidth each month. So not much at all. Nothing more then $50 a month.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Every think of how much it costs to pay the programmers to contantly enhance things here so we can stand out from the crowd?

I am a programmer myself. Programming rates are NOT cheap.

-Bob

TheTron

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is that info from Gregr because i have run small forums before and 25-25 GB is not alot of bandwidth for a site this size.

Originally posted by Onyx

This forum uses about 25-35 GBs of bandwidth each month. So not much at all. Nothing more then $50 a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators