• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

A WOW fan site sold for 1 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not surprised, WoW gold is a big business:)
 
But they said that they do not allow any wow gold business and be against any kind of virtual item exchange!

Actually, I do not even know what are this site doing? a forum? not likely either.
 
even though I never played WOW, i think that WOW gold trading is allowed... I've seen numerous websites selling it.
Of course, WoW gold is a huge business. I don't know any exact numbers--nor does anyone else since the buying and selling of WoW virtual assets, and those of most online games, is prohibited by the games' publishers. But by some estimates, the so-called secondary market for these virtual assets (of all online games) is approaching $1 billion a year.

So, in that regard, $1 million for a site that traffics in these virtual assets may not be very much money at all.
 
I have never known that the online game world is so big in value!
Here is one more quote from a blog(http://www.techsoapbox.com/hot-off-the-presses-wowhead-sold-for-over-1-million/ ):

Allakhazam.com was operated by a guy who used the nickname ‘Allakhazam’. He was one of the fiercest anti-IGE players around. I had once offered him $1 million (before WoW even entered alpha) - he wasn’t interested. Anyway, the site took a hit, and after a few years of struggling to survive, he eventually broke down. He sold out to IGE for roughly $7-10 million. The justification was that he sold the site to ‘Affinity Media’, which owns (but isn’t) IGE. Anyone with half a brain knew that they were the one and same.

7-10 million dollars for a game fan site, amazing!
 
And to think I started buying up the MMO sites for them ;)

And ugh - I wrote the original article (Tech Soapbox), and then emailed the writer at News.com. I hate it when people don't source the original article that actually broke the news.
 
I've been sitting on "WarcraftUniverse.com" waiting for the inevitable release of the Warcraft Universe Edition. That's my little "Virtual Gold" reserve ;)

In the meantime, I do want to build a killer fansite there covering ALL the WOW games in thier Universe.

GoPC
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom