Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Accidentally Purchased Premium Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I love GoDaddy!

Sold an absolute crap name there about a monthy ago for over $4k.

congrats

is that on the 'premium listing' , where you pay 32-62% commission on a sale? :eek:

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lol, I feel for you man, but seriously ~ how do you not notice purchasing a $4,500 domain and then not figure it out til a month later... Is this just buyer's remorse or what? I check my cart $$$ totals at least 2-3 times before I submit my order whether I am paying $7.xx or $700.xx+

I have OCD when it comes to my domains, my bank accounts, etc. I am checking them a few times a day at the least, so maybe this is why I don't understand your situation.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't DCG on the board there? Maybe he can help you.

It's not that easy to buy a premium name for $4500 buy accident and not notice it in your shopping cart upon checkout and then not figure it out for a month.

-=DCG=-

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not that easy to buy a premium name for $4500 buy accident and not notice it in your shopping cart upon checkout and then not figure it out for a month.

-=DCG=-

Adam, I'll grant you that it is odd to not have it noticed for a month but it does seem you are making it far too easy to do something like this when you just add names to the shopping cart during the process. This isn't something like privacy, hosting, or whathaveyou... this is an entirely different domain name.

Giving one the option to purchase an additional "Premium" domain is one thing... but making that an "opt out" rather than an express "opt in" just seems wrong in the first place.

Seriously, doesn't that smell even just a little bad?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seriously, doesn't that smell even just a little bad?

yes. actually, upselling the way godaddy does by prechecking boxes or adding 2 or more years instead of 1 is probably illegal. it will only take 1 person to sue them. or maybe a hot lawyer that gets misled like this

it should be other way, like the way you have to manually check box to agree to terms and conditions

godaddy do need a rocket up their arse for sure. also it seems every hack or scam occurs at godaddy. its why im shipping what i got out of there asap

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes. actually, upselling the way godaddy does by prechecking boxes or adding 2 or more years instead of 1 is probably illegal. it will only take 1 person to sue them. or maybe a hot lawyer that gets misled like this

Then they might as well go after many retailers in the US. When you go to a store and buy a computer more times than not I see them add in service plans without telling the consumer.

Car dealers will many times add on fees and non-standard equipment and not even tell you - even if they tell you it is the base model.

When you sign up for a mortgage they show you a wonderful payment but don't include insurance or taxes and then on top of that the payments jump drastically the second year.

When you sign up for a service (phone, cable TV etc..) they tell you its $24.99 a month but don't tell you the extra fees that jack your bill up to over $40 a month.

If it is illegal then why are so many different companies allowed to do the same thing? This isn't anything new either. I saw it when I worked in retail over 15 years ago. It's come down to the purchaser needs to pay attention to what they are buying and what charges they are approving.

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think the arguments presented here are an apple for apple comparison. I've bought loads of computers (3 in the past 3 months), loads of cars (new and used), and have mortgaged, remortgaged, and gotten at least 3 equity loans on my properties over the years. It's just not the same.

I agree the purchaser bears some responsibility, but the deceptive trade practice laws (and similar acts) were'nt born because of overly diligent consumers, they were born because of over zealous retailers and sellers trying to make a quick buck.

WRT to this specific case, I see some potential holes and misalignments in the claims/timeframes, etc. I'm just saying that godaddy in particular has a habit of doing some shopping for you. If you weren't a savvy domainer you could end up buying a lot of shit you don't need just cos godaddy put them in your basket, and the newbie assumes you need them to get the most out of your domain, or for it to even work.

Just my 2.5 cents.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is not like an added warranty plan, upgraded memory, or anything like that.

This is like going in and buying a computer and having them automatically add ANOTHER completely different computer to your cart without even asking "Would you like to add?" (which most retailers do, even for the warranties)

Defaulting the Registration term for extra years or adding privacy protection by default is one thing - it modifies the domain the consumer actually ordered. Sneaking in another completely different and overpriced domain is not even close to that

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Then they might as well go after many retailers in the US. When you go to a store and buy a computer more times than not I see them add in service plans without telling the consumer.

Car dealers will many times add on fees and non-standard equipment and not even tell you - even if they tell you it is the base model.

When you sign up for a mortgage they show you a wonderful payment but don't include insurance or taxes and then on top of that the payments jump drastically the second year.

When you sign up for a service (phone, cable TV etc..) they tell you its $24.99 a month but don't tell you the extra fees that jack your bill up to over $40 a month.

If it is illegal then why are so many different companies allowed to do the same thing? This isn't anything new either. I saw it when I worked in retail over 15 years ago. It's come down to the purchaser needs to pay attention to what they are buying and what charges they are approving.

all of the things you mention are out of order, and can't you see are unfair, and i would suggest illegal if challenged. it just needs the irght people and right time to do it
most people roll over and take it up the a*s
its understandable in some ways when governments and companies are literally getting away with murder that people take it

look, banks in the UK have been ripping people off for years, they would say 'our charges are in the terms and conditions' its your job to keep an eye on your account

except when you go £1 overdrawn by accident as the same day you pay money in (doesnt count til next day), and a payment you made online 4 days ago on paypal hasnt come out your account to today its pretty unfair right? especially when they charge you £40 for the honour. well because of a climate change, people actually complaining to trading standards, and local mps in record numbers, the banks were told theyre breaking the law and they have to repay everything bank. now its taken years, they have made it as hard as possible, they still havent paid out, the courts are giving the banks years extra, backhanders, lobbyists, you know the score, but voting with feet and complaining to relevant people works

in the uk, technically, if enough people complain to trading standards about any company, no matter how big, they can cease to trade

you dont have to sue people, make complaints to relevant bodies. most of the things you mention, are illegal imo, you dont have to be a lawyer to see that and t&c's mean jack sh*t if companies are using dodgy practices.
my point about 'you' having to check box is also a glaring mistake by godaddy

so draggar the choice is yours. keep getting ripped off or vote with feet or complain to relevant people. if we all did it, youd be amazed what a difference you can make

i for one will have all my domains transferred away from godaddy anyway for other reasons, mainly they are not a safe haven and they seem to have accounts hacked higher than anyone and i dont feel safe there. i also have friends who have regged a few domains at godaddy, not domainers, and they just couldnt get the hosting or privacy out of their carts and becuase id warned against frontrunning they felt had to buy.

godaddy rape you the next year when the 'free' products get auto renewed. just very bad ethics imo, but has made godaddy boss rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom