Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Accidentally Purchased Premium Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You still have the nuclear option: chargeback.
Of course if you do that GD will lock your account and freeze your domains.
How can that be possible? Locking and freezing accounts because of a dispute??? If the names locked are not the name(s) being contested, I can not see how they can legally do this - surely this is not part of their TOS.

Domain Summit 2024

w11guy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've thought of ditching my godaddy account for this very reason. If i'm searching for lots of different domains it automatically ticks some of them and adds to your cart. I nearly bought one by mistake the other day, but notice at the last moment. And then a day later they added on for £4000+ to my cart. I think this is very sneaky behaviour on their part. It is so easy not to notice. You check one domain and realise it's not availaible, you don't notice they have added a $4K domain to your cart, then you find and buy another one. You don't bother looking at the cart properly because you only expect the domain you picked to be there. Yes, you should check, but this is disgraceful behaviour. Other companies don't add things to your cart just because you view the product. Behaviour like this should be made illegal.

Show the credit card company how this sneaky behaviour works. Or take them to court. They may back down because they won't want the bad publicity.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How can that be possible? Locking and freezing accounts because of a dispute??? If the names locked are not the name(s) being contested, I can not see how they can legally do this - surely this is not part of their TOS.
Registrars normally treat chargebacks as fraud. So yes, even if it's only $25, your can expect to have your user account locked, along with all the domains it contains.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Move the rest of your domains to another account or, preferably another registrar and then definitely do the charge back.

Forcibly adding extra items to your cart instead of allowing you to optionally add them yourself is an egregious violation of good business practices at the very least.

Unless more people do this, BloDaddy will continue this highly unethical practice.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This could have happened to me a couple of times when a name I had checked was gone and I just clicked to see what price it was going for. It was then added to my basket and I could very easily, if distracted, have bought it.

Since domainers are extremely busy people and very likely to be distracted by doing a hundred and one things at a time, I think the fair way would be to ask (after you've checked the price) if you want to buy the name, and only then add it.

Since the site is so well-automated otherwise, one is forced to conclude that GoDaddy doesn't grieve too hard if someone makes a mistake and buys a premium name unintentionally.

kentog

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not think they can legally lock my account if I think there is a problem. If they do, we will end up in court. I do not feel like transferring my domains, but would do so if they think can just take all my domains in a business dispute. That seems HIGHLY illegal and potentially opening them up to major damages. Has anybody ever had their account frozen due to a chargeback and what happened?

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

gafadi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do not think they can legally lock my account if I think there is a problem. If they do, we will end up in court. I do not feel like transferring my domains, but would do so if they think can just take all my domains in a business dispute. That seems HIGHLY illegal and potentially opening them up to major damages. Has anybody ever had their account frozen due to a chargeback and what happened?

well not in godaddy but i had a incident about chargeback with name.com , i made order of 2 domains and in a day or 2 i canceled my cc for some reason , the company charged back the money and name contacted me telling money was charged back and they froze my acc with 45 domains, they asked for reg fee of 2 domains and $45 extra for charge back . Well if you charge back GD will see that as fraud, bad business practice and they will probably freeze your account.

thanks

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The other day I bought a new phone for my wife. In the cart they also added a leather case and a car charger. Am I crying fraud or deceptive practices? Nope, I just removed them.

I've also seen online electronic sellers add on extended service plans when you buy something - I just take it out of my cart.

Practices like this are not uncommon and very well known and established retailers - even brick and mortar, do this. It's up to the consumer to make sure that they are buying what they want and not more. One you click "buy" (or the final confirmation) the deal is done according to the seller. IMO to demand a refund after a month is poor consumer practices.

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Within few minutes after transaction you would have received email from GD with domain names and amounts paid for each domain. You did not read even that email ?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Accident huh? For $4500? Took you a MONTH to notice? hmmmmmm

What is the name?

gafadi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i would also like to know what the name is , if its worth that much you can simply try to sell it for that much or higher

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've thought of ditching my godaddy account for this very reason. If i'm searching for lots of different domains it automatically ticks some of them and adds to your cart. I nearly bought one by mistake the other day, but notice at the last moment. And then a day later they added on for £4000+ to my cart. I think this is very sneaky behaviour on their part. It is so easy not to notice. You check one domain and realise it's not availaible, you don't notice they have added a $4K domain to your cart, then you find and buy another one. You don't bother looking at the cart properly because you only expect the domain you picked to be there. Yes, you should check, but this is disgraceful behaviour. Other companies don't add things to your cart just because you view the product. Behaviour like this should be made illegal.

Show the credit card company how this sneaky behaviour works. Or take them to court. They may back down because they won't want the bad publicity.
I buy lots of names at godaddy and have never had anything put in my cart "automatically".

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I love GoDaddy!

Sold an absolute crap name there about a monthy ago for over $4k.

ComScout.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
godaddy's website is just too confusing to use. Why can't they make it nice and simple like enom.com?

cmason

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I feel for you! This has almost happened to me a few times, but I noticed at the last second. After reading this thread I am thankful that I didn't get caught with a $1K+ bill for something way overpriced. The check-out process is so long and tedious that I found myself just thinking "click, click, type, click, click, type, type, click, click, click" and be done with it. The only thing I was screwed with once was a 5-year registration on a quick-decision purchase. I was going for speed and didn't notice the length of time - my fault? Of course, but the GD system makes those mistakes more likely than other registrars.

I am glad that you posted this thread, it will definitely educate other forum members (and clearly some guests) as to some of the problems with the GoDaddy check-out.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you people can't manage an online shopping cart and pay attention to the bottom line upon check-out you probably should'nt be on a computer let alone buying domains...

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't DCG on the board there? Maybe he can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom