Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Advice on a reply

Nazzz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey ladies and gents!

Over the last couple of days I have been reaching out to some potential buyers for a domain.. I received a reply from someone who owns a similar domain, though on a lower scale. Keep in mind I'm not dealing with another domainer here.

Now, judging by their reply, I may be able to persuade him into making the purchase.

The reply was that, he isn't doing much with his domain and was curious to know what I wanted for my domain.

Hopefully someone can give me some tips on how to handle this.

Domain summit 2024

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No one would know without additional information
- The domain name
- Who is the buyer -Small - Medium or Big?

I can sell the same name to Small Buyer for $300 - Medium $3,000 - Big $30,000
There are a lot of factors involving pricing a name.

Nazzz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can I PM those details.. For some reason Im paranoid, lol.

Simon Byrne

Level 9
Reaction score
Hey Nazz,

You will get this a lot. Do a bit of research on the domain he is using, and if it is doing better that he is telling you, well then you know he is interested but playing his interest down. Also check if he is advertising for his current domain, i find if someone is advertising they are generally making money.

I would sell this to him on the basis of protecting his current domain, and not having someone else come in and take a slice of his business with your domain.

Oh and research lots of research.... Always know who you are dealing with :D

Nazzz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great insight Simon.

I checked his is domain prior to contacting him and it appears to be undeveloped and has the "Check back soon" written over it.

EarlGrey

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They said they went really interested in doing much with everythingeverywhere.com and the same day Ted Kelly sold it for a tiny price he saw it as the focus for a huge TV campaign.

It doesn't matter what the prospective owner is or isn't going to do with it.
If you have a price you want for it and they are prepared to pay then this is all good.

It's just a transaction

Nazzz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So should I just throw a price at him without having to convince him on why to buy it ?

Simon Byrne

Level 9
Reaction score
I don't know what the domain is but if you are confident in your own valuation, Yes. You cant educate everyone, you would spend all your time doing it :)

cmdomains

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Would be interested to know about what to reply as well. I had an odd inquiry - basically asking what my interest is on a name that's close to what I have (no mention of the word 'price' as well, maybe trying to keep their own interest on it to minimum). I tried to do reverse search on email address but didn't get any good leads.

Regards

Nazzz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
PM me with your domain. I maybe able to assist you.

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Check what names he owns
Trace him via WHOIS
Check his name on LinkedIn, you can find a lot of info on who the person/company is via LinkedIn, Bloomberg, Google etc
See what company he works for? Are they a big company, small company?
Does he own other names? Are any of them developed?

You need to know all this before replying to the person.

cmdomains

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This person doesn't leave tracks. No website attached to its email address etc. I tried checking IP but I don't know maybe the instructions on doing email IP search aren't getting to me. I just never done that before. It was yahoo mail that was used.

Nazzz, I'll have to let you know at a later time if you don't mind. Still doing my searches hehe.

I did respond to email before making my first post here though - that the domain the sender had on subject line is not what I own but I didn't bother saying I have a similar name either.

Just not sure when's a right time to open up the conversation for them to acquire it, broker it, lease, whatever. Do I initiate and finally tell them I have a similar name? My thought is they might use it to lower value .

In terms of trying to find out more about the person, I guess I can simply ask who they are ? I don't quite know why I didn't think of that . I feel like they won't give it away anyway.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators