Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Afternic blows! endless listings that push yours far to the back, no customer service

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I waisted 35$ and im sure others have to. Sure the site gets lots of exposure but who is going to look through thousands of names, i seen some categories with 40,000 names in it, what is that?? I recently found a site thats listed #1 on yahoo that sells domains and has 4 names listed on its front page, its a 1 page site. Damn now that i think about it afternic must be making loads of money just like ebay. 35$ a pop to signup with thousands of ads, wow! Anybody else agree that afternic sucks?

Domain summit 2024

Yep, afternic sucks.

Pretty much all listing sites do for getting good sales - as I'm sure you'll discover.

chris

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by eddie1278
I waisted 35$ and im sure others have to. Sure the site gets lots of exposure but who is going to look through thousands of names, i seen some categories with 40,000 names in it, what is that?? I recently found a site thats listed #1 on yahoo that sells domains and has 4 names listed on its front page, its a 1 page site. Damn now that i think about it afternic must be making loads of money just like ebay. 35$ a pop to signup with thousands of ads, wow! Anybody else agree that afternic sucks?

eddie,

What are your suggestions for correcting this problem (having to look through thousands of names)?

1. Deeper categories?
2. Better search features?

And, what would afternic have to do to make you feel like you got your money's worth?

Thanks,
Chris

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Welcome to DnForum!

I gather your delicate interest in making Afternic better means that your $40 million has disappeared and you're set to retake the burned-out Afternic like a latter-day Steve Jobs.

Just remember to take a $1 in token salary...heh heh..

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by chris

eddie,

What are your suggestions for correcting this problem (having to look through thousands of names)?

1. Deeper categories?
2. Better search features?

And, what would afternic have to do to make you feel like you got your money's worth?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris, Are you connected with Afternic in some way? Judging by the way you worded this it appears perhaps you are.

Afternic sucks so bad I can't even put it in words. Amazingly I was once one of the few supporters of AN - what an idiot I was! Reasons follow -

Total lack of support. Ignored all client emails and help requests ever since taken over by Register.com.

Ignored numerous complaints regarding very slow pay and little support for Virtual Broker Domain Sales.

Failed to do any policing or moderating of the forums and chat, letting it get taken over by the obscene lunatics.

Shut down Forums, Appraisals and other good features with no notice to loyal members, thus prventing us from archiving our Posts and saying goodbye to others, showing no respect at all to members.

AN did little if any advertising and marketing to help the zillions of name listings sell thanks to some publicity.

Register.com wasted 35 million $ grossly overpaying by buying AN and it appears has lost it all by letting AN decline and run into the ground. What idiots at Register.com!

Now all Afternic seems to be is a worthless automated BOT with almost no good content and reason for anyone to visit there anymore.

In the past I did buy or sell a few names there and made 400 Forum Posts (which I have lost due to its shut-down). Never again would I waste my time at afternic.com. :mad:

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think im going to develop a resell sight, nah, i think im going to stick with the real world life, go out and earn a living. I wasted so much time on this overrated internet its pathetic. I think people are right the net is dead.

chris

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DnPowerful
Welcome to DnForum!

I gather your delicate interest in making Afternic better means that your $40 million has disappeared and you're set to retake the burned-out Afternic like a latter-day Steve Jobs.

Just remember to take a $1 in token salary...heh heh..

hmmm... Did I ever say I had a "delicate interest" in making Afternic better? ummm... Nope!

I have no affiliation with Afternic -- but it's hilarious to me that you "claim" I do.

Now, maybe you should put your tail between your legs :D

Even a shark will sometimes nibble before taking a big bite...

Hilarious post!

Chris

eddie1278

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
its now starting to hit me that is someone really going to pay thousands maybe millions for a word? 7.5 million for business.com, come on now. domains dont work, web sites too many, sex is supposed to be the biggest $ maker, but the net is flooded with sites. There is just to much competition out. They say sales will reach 1 trillion in 2003, and half will go to ebay, 1/4 to paypal, and the rest to sex sites,lol

Everybody on the net thinks they are a salesman. Im going to stick to banging nails, and cutting wood the rest of my life:)

chris

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames
Hi Chris, Are you connected with Afternic in some way? Judging by the way you worded this it appears perhaps you are.

Nope. I've never even spent more than 15 minutes at afternic before. I was researching what "eddie" thought was wrong with afternic. Information is priceless. Knowing the downfalls of one company can be the blessings of another.

Chris

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
why are you guys talking about, a non freindly, non customer oriented, shill bidding, lack of support co.?

Everybody on the net thinks they are a salesman. Im going to stick to banging nails, and cutting wood the rest of my life:)

Good choice, Jesus was an excellent carpenter himself.

Originally posted by krisblade
I´ve sold a domain name 2 months ago, and they never release the funds :(

They, as you all know.. are owned by Register.com

So, to Reach the NY office: 212-798-9200
212-629-9305 (i believe that's their FAX line)

domainregistar@register.com

i've got a toll free # around here somewhere to AfterNic..

I'll have to locate it!

What name/auction is it, that closed & you have not rec'd funds on? Have you & the buyer in contact by email? keep all your records. g/l

its now starting to hit me that is someone really going to pay thousands maybe millions for a word? 7.5 million for business.com, come on now. domains dont work, web sites too many, sex is supposed to be the biggest $ maker, but the net is flooded with sites. There is just to much competition out. They say sales will reach 1 trillion in 2003, and half will go to ebay, 1/4 to paypal, and the rest to sex sites,lol

You lost your faith real fast eddie!

The truth is, good names sell - bad names rot unless you get real lucky. Telling other people the names are good doesn't make one cents worth of difference.

If they are good, buyers will come knocking - thats the only true metric.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
those days are over eddie

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to agree. Afternic is a joke.
The same domains are in the "auction spotlight" and most have no chance of ever being seen.
The search tool has hours when it doesn't even work.

Of all the domains Ive sold I NEVER sold one through afternic. In all cases the purchaser has contacted me directly.

I sold GlassSlipper.com a few days ago and actually received only 1 offer while on afternic and I referred the person there to bid.

And the message boards were taken down for obvious reasons (most posts were about how people were screwed by afternic with regard to their escrow).

Prediction: Afternic either changes dramatically with regard to customer service or fails within 2 years.

BTW, they talk about their traffic. Most of the people are simply going there to update their portfolio or trying to get their names in front of some buyers by soliciting appraisals. Now that the appraisal feature is gone their traffic will diminish.

Just my .02

Afternic Escrow Division:
Call John Toorock
212-798-9100 X 5474

* I've read that he's a good guy.. don't know, i've never
had any personal or biz communications with him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators