Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

An interesting story of a domain sold for $999. What is the lesson from this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheapbuying

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting story for a domain i sold recently for $999.

I had a .org domain and expired an year ago. (It was a crappy registrar and i forgot to renew. they never send me any expiry notice too. Due to very low price for .org, i registered only that domain with them. Normally all my domains are with GD).

I was marketing it without knowing it was expired. I got a buyer for $999 (there were 3 buyers and the top was 999$). After my sale of $999, i got offer for $1500 from one of the another buyer. As it is not ethical, i explained its sold for $999. ( I sold the .com version of this domain for $1500 2 years ago. Now surprised to see .org at same price now. All are end users.)

Then comes the issue. The domain is not in my account. !!! It was in namejet prerelease closing due on 13 oct 2011 8pm et. (the whois expiry shows enom & expiry sep 2012!) I was the only bidder. but they didn't award me the domain. instead they just removed the domain from the pre-release date. I contacted them. They said its their rules blah blah... I'm still not understanding why they mention prerelease date as 13 oct 2011. To shorten the story, It was no use with namejet.

But the main part happen.

Buyer has sent me the payment of $999 by paypal & Paypal automatically withdrawn money to my bank account same day as per RBI regulations!

The domain is not in my account. What to do?

I contacted

1. old registrar
2. enom (enom replied domain with namecheap !)
3. NameCheap
4. Namejet

In the meantime I was adding more funds (to cover paypal fees, exchange loss ) and ready to refund buyer.

After my chasing finally old registrar replied - domain is not with them.

Namecheap said, they can't guarantee. But if i fund my namecheap account with $209.69 they will give a try!! I made that in instant & namecheap really did a quick work and finally i got the domain in my namecheap account.

My goodness. What a big tension & relief.

Now i have asked buyer for his namecheap account and will push the domain.

To me few things got in my mind.

1) Should never use many registrars for few dollars.
2) Must check expiry b4 marketing
3) Never use namejet

What do you peers think on this story?

After pushing the domain to him, i'll reveal the domain name.

Another very very important & amazing note will be added in a day or 2. What is it?

Domain summit 2024

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wisdom of the story
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, It is a thing to be acheived."
William Jennings Bryan

good job )))

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The moral of the story is never use crappy registrars,i learnt the same hard way.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another very very important & amazing note will be added in a day or 2. What is it?

hand reg? i can't wait ....it's like the suspense of a cliff hanger movie :popcorn: :pound:

nicot

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Did you have to pay the $209.69 or any of it to get your domain back?

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i love the soaps (domain drama)

cheapbuying

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I paid $209.69 to get back my domain.
I sold for $999 (even though the high bid after sale was $1500)

The very interesting part is......
I put this domain on NP auction & the high bidder of $8 & next bidder $7.

Both didn't like to pay for this domain. However it paid me $999.

Now i realise i shouldnot auction premium domain in forums. Is it right?

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have bought names for $xx and sold for $x,xxx i have also bought names for $xxx and sold for $x,xxx - you never know

my formula for sales is: Right name + right buyer + the right time + Luck = sale

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Twice I've been contacted with an offer for a domain that I was letting drop - each time had to pay Godaddy $80 to get my domain back. Both were decent sales but it hurts to be held to ransom when the domain hadn't actually dropped.

cheapbuying

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have bought names for $xx and sold for $x,xxx i have also bought names for $xxx and sold for $x,xxx - you never know

my formula for sales is: Right name + right buyer + the right time + Luck = sale

Hi,
I too have many sales like that. But this particular domain made me in tension. Thats why i have shared my story here.

I will not settle with crappy registrar ( even they are cheap by 2 - 4$ a domain).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom