Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Announcement re name pulled from auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
To all,

I would like to notify everyone that kareem.org is not for sale in the next live auction. It is listed, but I just sold it and did not realise that I could not retract it from the auction - I actually did try to, but gregr did his job by sticking to the rules which I had failed to read properly.

As I cannot be there, I will not be bidding, so please be aware that I am no longer the owner of kareem.org and cannot therefore give it to anyone who bids on it. If you are present at the auction please notify the others there.

I apologise for the inconvenience, but I did not realise the name could not be removed from auction.

Thankyou

***EDITED TO ENSURE NO BAD REFLECTION ON GREG AS THIS WAS NOT INTENDED***

Upvote 0

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tigga - this is the whole purpose for having rules - and you agreed to them. You should not be attempting to sell the name after the deadline. The 4th rule down from the top states very clearly.......

"After Friday 3:00PM CST, no changes can be made to listings and they cannot be removed. Don't tell me you already sold the name because I'll tell you to buy it back."

http://www.dnforum.com/auction.php

Please don't try to act like anybody here is being unfair. If anything - you are being unfair by breaking the rules that you agreed to in the first place. I also don't like the fact you post Greg's private comment in public - trying to make him look the bad guy - and gain sympathy from people. You have nobody to blame but yourself.

Domain Summit 2024

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com
Tigga - this is the whole purpose for having rules - and you agreed to them. You should not be attempting to sell the name after the deadline. The 4th rule down from the top states very clearly.......

"After Friday 3:00PM CST, no changes can be made to listings and they cannot be removed. Don't tell me you already sold the name because I'll tell you to buy it back."

http://www.dnforum.com/auction.php

Agree! Sorry, Tigga ... but this one is very clear!
Good Luck.

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
Woah, absolutely no intention to make Greg look like the bad guy here - I thought his response was fair enough anyway. I was just stating what happened so DNF users could see I had made a reasonable effort to retract the name and hopefully nobody would get upset.

Both of you are absolutely right - I had not read the rules properly and missed it as you have pointed out - this is my mistake and I apologise to the DNF community. I hope that you can all forgive me this one and I swear it will not happen again.

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
As I do not want to upset anyone at all, if anyone does bid on kareem.org, then I will give the winner the choice of either vandamme.org or rupees.org - both I think you will of agree of similar value. Same starting bid of $1. I realise I am probably going to lose out as a result of this, but I want to be as fair as possible.

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
As I do not want to upset anyone at all, if anyone does bid on kareem.org, then I will give the winner the choice of either vandamme.org or rupees.org instead - both I think you will agree are of similar value. Same starting bid of $1. I realise I am probably going to lose out as a result of this, but I want to be as fair as possible.

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
Sorry about double post - I just keep screwing up!

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Tigga ... your posts definitely read as heartfelt and apologetic. It's not a good situation. My guess, though, is that this will NOT be acceptable if your domain is selected in the auction. Actually, I hope it's NOT selected ... would make life a lot easier. However, if it IS ... I think the policy is pretty clear, that being "zero tolerance". It would set a bad precedent for future auctions, IMO.
Again, I'm sorry this has come to pass ... let's hope it works out, for all of us concerned.
Good Luck.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tigga ... What are you thinking? How dare you break a rule here at DNF! I can't believe you would even try! Do you realize how much work it would be to remove that f'ing name from the auction?

Do you realize that rules MUST be followed or koas will erupt! Do you know what allowing this to happen would say to the other members of this forum?

My god man ... really .. what are you thinking?

Shaun

DNInvestor

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sarcasm aside, I agree with others who have posted with the view of zero tolerance.

You've chosen to benefit from this venue and are bound by its rules.

CJ

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNInvestor ... I agree ... zero tollerance. If ANY rule is broken on this board ... members should be held completely responsible. It's either black or white.

Especially something as serious are pulling a name from the auction. I KNOW .... that NONE of the others in the auction would ever pull an name ... even if they were offered $10,000 for the name, becuase that is the quality of members here .... right?

Shaun

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just a question...

Why is it so heinous (sp) to pull a name from auction?

Even on Ebay or any auction site you can retract your item from sale as long as there are no bids. As the auction has not occurred yet, no one has bid yet and therefore no one was hurt by the retraction.

I understand the need for rules and the need to follow them but the rules need to have a reason for being. Looking at other auction models this rule does not exist.

I think the DNF Auctions are a very cool thing but its still being formed and things can still be flexible so as it works for the buyers and the sellers.

Not giving the seller a option of retracting name up to start of auction is not a fair rule....even worse is telling the seller that they now can't remove the name and will be responsible to buy back the name from the person that bought it out side the auction so as to give it to the winner of the auction here.

I don't think anyone on this board would hesitate to sell a name at a good price given the chance...even if it was listed in the auction. I guess I can only speak for myself in saying that if someone offered me $500 for a name that I was gonna auction off starting at a $1 and the auction had not started it would be sold.

The problem that retracting a name causes, may be alittle disappointment for someone who would like to bid on it but thats life. As mentioned earlier...all of the major auction sites allow you to delete you ad before the first bid...why should this be different?

Just my 2¢ .... I see posts saying that everything in DNF is being reworked to make it a better and fairer place. This is one rule that needs to be looked at.

Gail

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hear, hear izoot!

Very well thought out - wish I'd written it.

Originally posted by aactive
.... that NONE of the others in the auction would ever pull an name ... even if they were offered $10,000 for the name, becuase that is the quality of members here .... right?

Shaun

I'd sell it and never look back - sorry, but that is the truth.

I would go so far to offer that a contract is made up of an offer and an acceptance. Listing a bid is an offer, acceptance doesn't occur until someone bids. Therefore, no matter how disappointed someone might be, as long as I retracted my "offer" before the first bid occurred - no contract. May not be very "nice", but money talks and bullsh*t hangs out in forums yapping.

Gail

(oops - a birdie told me not to believe everything I read LITERALLY :embarrass )

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost
Tigga ... your posts definitely read as heartfelt and apologetic. It's not a good situation. My guess, though, is that this will NOT be acceptable if your domain is selected in the auction. Actually, I hope it's NOT selected ... would make life a lot easier. However, if it IS ... I think the policy is pretty clear, that being "zero tolerance". It would set a bad precedent for future auctions, IMO.
Again, I'm sorry this has come to pass ... let's hope it works out, for all of us concerned.
Good Luck.

Get a grip Coolhost - this isn't Sothebys.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can see the point of the mods and gregr. Rules were put in place to avoid situations like this. If a name is allowed to be retracted, what is the deadline to do so? One hour before auction? One minute before auction? During the auction? While the name is being auctioned?
There is five days to decide whether a name is one which you feel the auction is your best bet to sell it. Once put on the auction block, you are bound to sell there. The auction listing should not be used as a forum to advertise names for sale. Anyone interested in your name should be directed to this auction(provided that they have access....... sorry gregr-- couldn't resist).
The auction cannot be constantly in a state of flux. I myself like to know what is being offered.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stevo you saved the day with your post. I was starting to look pretty bad. :)

BTW I discovered another revenue stream for DNForum. I just need to collect all those 2 pennies showing up in posts lately. :)

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by stevo
The auction cannot be constantly in a state of flux. I myself like to know what is being offered.

I agree with you..it can't be in a constant state of flux...but it just starting out and needs to grow and form. Find the things that work and those that don't.

I also think that its a interesting assumption that someone would post a name in the auction at DNF for advertising reasons, only. Maybe I'm missing something.

Once again..other established auction sites offer the opportunity to delete your auction prior to the first bid ... which I have no problem with. Whats the big deal? Will life stop if you can't bid on a name? Probably not ... will ya be disappointed? Maybe alittle ... get over it :D

I think that this problem arose is a good thing ... a set policy could be established and this situation avoided from happening again.

another 2¢ ( got lots of pennies lying around )

( btw greg ... this has not been a personal attack ... )

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Way to go stevo ... somebody had to pick up where CoolHost left off. gregr don't bend to the will of the dissident voices .... rules are rules ... whether they are right or wrong.

Show tigga that the rules must be followed. Compassion has no place here!

Shaun

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed30
Get a grip Coolhost - this isn't Sothebys.

Listen, Ed30 ... 'rules are rules, are they not? :eek:
Now, I'm still trying to find the precise reference to Sotheby's in my post.
Stay :cool: ... and hopefully this thing will work itself out, as I DID mention.
See you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom