Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Anonymous domain registration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eris

I would like to register a couple currently unregistered domains - standard dot-coms and dot-nets. I want to register them through a third party, because I do not want any information relating to me in the domains' WHOISes.

Is there any company that will register a domain name for someone (via a money order, preferably), give the person full rights to it, and the person can just send their reg. payment to them every couple years?

(I realize that it is necessary to have WHOIS information to contact the owner by, so that's not what I'm asking about.)

I would be most grateful for any info! Thanks!

- Eris

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anonymous whois is coming..

For now, just put "no phone" for phone number, and set up a special email account at hotmail or yahoo, just for domains.

E

Eris

Thanks doberry...

I still have to enter my real name and other information. I don't see how just basically leaving my e-mail and phone out completely solves the issue. ?

I thought I had heard of two companies who currently did anon regs. Am I wrong?

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Eris you are correct i think i too read about this a few days ago

let me try and find out who it was...

Ciq

E

Eris

Thanks, Ciqala! =D

Also, paying via PayPal would work just as well for me as money order, as long as I could be assured they wouldn't give my information away.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Try domainsbyproxy.com It's a GoDaddy spinoff.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Eris, are you a spy :eek:

E

Eris

mole - Awesome! I think I might just go with that. Thanks!

doberry - A spy for what?

A

airnike764

Eris, you can use godaddy.com and for like an extra $2, you can make it all private

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you use this service Godaddy is the legal owner of the domain. Anyone know if this is true?

E

Eris

DomainPairs - Ouch! I hope not! =( Anybody know?

NameGuy - ::shrugs:: It's for my husband and me to use. We can't believe they're still open, and we simply must have them. ;)

DNbuy

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This samew question was posed to us by one of our customers the other day. Before I show you our response, please be carefull. The email address you put in the whois record for your domain name is critical. If this email address is not accurate or you do not have access to it, most registrars will make you jump through hoops to ensure that you are the rightfull owner of a domain name. Also be wary of any company ( including the Godaddy spinoff) that says you do not need to post accurate info in the whois. If I understand it correctly, this domainsbyproxy is actually the legal owner of your name. This is not a problem if you trust them explicitly but otherwise be cautious. Here is the answer we gave to a customer inquiring about remaining anonymous in the whois record:

"You are correct. ICANN has been getting more strict with this and if they did approach us about a name that was registered through our service, we would have to comply. However there are a lot of domain names registered without accurate whois info and it is very difficult for ICANN to track and force compliance. The bottom line is that although it is required it is rarely enforced. As long as you are not conducting illegal or immoral activity through your domain name there will be little motivation for anyone to enforce this rule upon you. The critical part is the email address. Please make sure you have access to it.

Thank you.

Jim Kerr
DN buy inc.
www.dnbuy.com
[email protected]"

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As I understand it Godaddy is or will be accepting registration of domains where the whois is kept private, but not for adult names. And Jim is right ICANN are getting tough on name owners with non-functioning email addresses.

R

rider8

DomainsByProxy.com is a GoDaddy company, not a spinoff. The domains you register through them become their property, but you have complete control over what happens to them. Go to the thread http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9294 and see that people want this whois information so they can spam you, or worse, try to make you renew your registrations through them, at a higher price (refer to the Verisign court suit, and other scams -- http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/private_register.asp). With DBP, and your correct email address, they filter this spam info for you. Go to the site for more info.

E

Eris

Well, I ended up privately purchasing four domains from them. Works like a charm. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators