Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Anyone have real success contacting end users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is one of my exchanges with end users:

1. Sent emails to a dozen end users for my generic .com domain, most had similar, less quality domains. I did not specify a price but invited offers.

2. Next day received one response. There were just two words in the email: "how much?".

3. Responded to the email with a set price.

4. Next day received response of "thanks anyway". I responded that I can accept offers below price.

5. Next day received another response from a different end user. There were just two words in the email: "how much?".

6. In the end I received only two responses. One buyer finally offered $100.

7. I ended up selling the domain on DNF for twice as much.

and the moral of this story is.... what?

i'm trying to put together a correlation between the title of this thread and the "end" result as expressed in line 7 above

and get some idea of ...

so what was the duration/length of time between line 5. and line 6.

and what was the duration betweeen line 6. and line 7.

if you will...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO the moral of the story is that pitching low- to medium-value domains to end users is often not very cost-effective, because end users are uneducated/uninterested.
Still it's not hard to sell domains to end users for low/mid-$$$ (whether the time and effort involved is worthwhile is another matter). When you add one zero to the end of the price tag - things get exponentially more difficult.

That is why so many domains are flipped among domainers.

As usual, quality over quantity. If you have great names you don't have to be as proactive to end users, they will find you.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
and the moral of this story is.... what?

i'm trying to put together a correlation between the title of this thread and the "end" result as expressed in line 7 above

and get some idea of ...

so what was the duration/length of time between line 5. and line 6.

and what was the duration betweeen line 6. and line 7.

if you will...

This is only one example of my experiences with end users.

The buyers expressed they could not offer anything near the asking price and one refused to make any offer.

This shows some end users are not willing to spend real money on domains which has to do with ignorance of domain values or lack of interest in the benefits of domains and other variables.

Coldforce

Coldforce.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bought ofxm here for 40 i think, instantly emailed onlineforexmarket.com and sold for 1100 ..whole process took me about 2 days :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is only one example of my experiences with end users.

The buyers expressed they could not offer anything near the asking price and one refused to make any offer.

This shows some end users are not willing to spend real money on domains which has to do with ignorance of domain values or lack of interest in the benefits of domains and other variables.

but what about the duration between lines 5 , 6 and 7

i'm trying to make a point here and you won't help :)

bought ofxm here for 40 i think, instantly emailed onlineforexmarket.com and sold for 1100 ..whole process took me about 2 days :)

cool beans and really nice profit!

it was smart of you "see beyond" the domain's value according to a reseller pricing guide.

though the member who sold it to you probably didn't :)

they probably only saw two premium letters and that was that.

congrats

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

This might have been a better chance for a decent sale because the end user runs an online based website with high competition and probably spends alot of money on online marketing and branding. What department in the company did you contact?

but what about the duration between lines 5 , 6 and 7

i'm trying to make a point here and you won't help :)

The "negotiations" lasted for a few days. It has been months with no further responses.

Last edited:

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recently sold a .us for $3900 , a .info for $5000 and a .com for $5000. In each case it was the enduser who found me.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've sold a bunch to end users in the mid-high x,xxx, most of which I originally contacted. I've noticed it more difficult lately, probably because of the economy. Often companies don't see the value in domains too which makes it difficult.

Funny story.. I had a end user once contact me about a domain, which they had once owned but let expire. They wanted it for free at first which wasn't going to happen. After a month of exchanging emails and phone calls, we arrived at $13k. 1 year later they let the domain expire again, but someone else registered it when it dropped. Then about 3 months later they got it back again, but I don't know if they had to pay for it again... :)

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After a month of exchanging emails and phone calls, we arrived at $13k. 1 year later they let the domain expire again, but someone else registered it when it dropped. Then about 3 months later they got it back again, but I don't know if they had to pay for it again... :)

This shows how much money endusers may spend on domains - and how wisely they use domains.;)

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't see Don's question answered even though you replied a few times.

Why can't you simply answer his question about the time interval so he can make his point?

I thought I answered this question already.

If you want to know how long it took me to sell the domain after that, it was another few days.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The best way to get deals with end users is to have great names and wait. Of course the majority of inquiries will come from lowballers so patience is a must :approve:

That's pretty much what I do, Wait... I'd say 98% of my sales are to end users, it's not by choice, Most resellers just arent willing to pay my asking price, which is fine with me, I dont mind waiting.

Over a year or two ago, I posted a lot of names here for under $250 and nobody showed a interest, since that time many of those same names ended up selling to end users between $1000 and $2500 each.... End users are clearly where the money is at, that is if you have the patience to wait for them.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I do, Wait... I'd say 98% of my sales are to end users, it's not by choice, Most resellers just arent willing to pay my asking price, which is fine with me, I dont mind waiting.

Over a year or two ago, I posted a lot of names here for under $250 and nobody showed a interest, since that time many of those same names ended up selling to end users between $1000 and $2500 each.... End users are clearly where the money is at, that is if you have the patience to wait for them.

True but you can end up building a portfolio of hundreds of domains waiting for an enduser like me and then paying $3k a year renewal fees so i gotto sell at least one a year for that much to break even :-(

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
True but you can end up building a portfolio of hundreds of domains waiting for an enduser like me and then paying $3k a year renewal fees so i gotto sell at least one a year for that much to break even :-(

I understand your point, but that's where choosing your domains wisely comes into play... I pay right about 3K a year in renewals on almost 400 domains, which is a very small fraction of what I generate in yearly sales... Even if I didn't sell a domain all year, the PPC revenue from only few domains more than pays for the renewal fees.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This thread is about Contacting End Users.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1 in 10 will response, 1 in 100 will buy. Seems to be how it goes typically though it also depends what you are trying to sell them.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought I answered this question already.

If you want to know how long it took me to sell the domain after that, it was another few days.

the point i was trying to make, is that maybe you are/were too impatient

if you got two replies back from sending unsolicited email, asking "how much" then that should tell you....that there IS an interest.

for you to settle for twice as much as the "$100.00" offer you received from one responder, indicates the point.

This thread is about Contacting End Users.

true, but in the end, you decided to sell to a dnf member

now, i have said in the past...that there ARE end-users here on the forum and some disputed that fact.

so maybe you ended up selling to an end-user after all, or not. :)

i do think you had success in contacting potential end-users, but because of "lack of patience, need for funds, etc." you didn't extend the email campaign or try to negotiate with responders to increase their offers.

imo...

DTalk

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Y'know...If I spent exactly the same amount of time actually researching & approaching targeted end users every day - as I spend reading & participating in domain Forums - I'm certain that I'd make a hell of a lot more money....lol...I should probably be more proactive.

Its easier to wait for someone to approach us with offers....but, no business I know actually grew successful by just sitting around waiting for buyers/customers to arrive.

Its probably true that we're likely to get a higher price, if an end user is motivated enough to seek us out on a name....Similarly, we're likely to get a lower price if we cold call a less-motivated someone that maybe has never considered buying that, or any, name. Human nature.

So, maybe, we should have a double-layer strategy on this?.....ie Wait for endusers on our best quality names - but, actively canvass our less quality (but relevant to the target end user) names, which we may be less likely to get approached on?

Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i do think you had success in contacting potential end-users, but because of "lack of patience, need for funds, etc." you didn't extend the email campaign or try to negotiate with responders to increase their offers.

imo...

I think you nailed with Virtuals "lack of patience" 4 days of effort then he gives up by unloading it on DNF... lol.

A few months ago I completed a sale to a end user, We exchanged about 8 emails in year and a half period, where he tried to reduce the price to less than half of my asking price, I offered a 20% reduction and no more, He kept blowing it off and finally he came back and agreed on the price.. It took a hell of long time but I got the price I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom