• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Apple Inc bought AppStore.com?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

owntag

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
1,703
Reaction score
33
Just noticed that the registrant of AppStore.com is Apple Inc now.

If I recall correctly, the domain was registered by another company in the past.

Anyone knows when did Apple get this domain and what's the cost?

Thanks
 
wonder what they paid SalesForce for it...I'm pretty sure salesforce wouldn't have let it go for a bargain
 
wonder what they paid SalesForce for it...I'm pretty sure salesforce wouldn't have let it go for a bargain


I agree, but the purchase makes sense for Apple, of course depending on the sale price, but I am sure they could afford it ;)
 
what i dont get is how it was trademarked. seems like a generic term.
 
if the greater recognition for APP would be for apple, wouldn't that follow ICANN's rules regarding domain use, recognition, and salesforce not being known by the "appstore" name?

ICANN holds that passive holding of a disputed domain name permits an unlawful inference of registration and domain use in bad faith. The other two tenets of disputed domains are that no use of the domain name or website that connected with the domain name is occurring, and that the domain holder is not widely known by that name.

link
 
Last edited:
ICANN holds that passive holding of a disputed domain name permits an unlawful inference of registration and domain use in bad faith. The other two tenets of disputed domains are that no use of the domain name or website that connected with the domain name is occurring, and that the domain holder is not widely known by that name.

Those are scary words for any domainer.....
 
Appstore is used so much by Apple and Iphone/ipod/Ipod touch/itunes users . Its a good buy for Apple but i wonder how much they might have paid for it or how they got it.
 
I got a good "App" name, but it has nothing to do directly with Apple. was planning on developing it to sell applications for a various amount of different mobile phones including the G1 (google phone).
 
ICANN holds that passive holding of a disputed domain name permits an unlawful inference of registration and domain use in bad faith. The other two tenets of disputed domains are that no use of the domain name or website that connected with the domain name is occurring, and that the domain holder is not widely known by that name.

Those are scary words for any domainer.....

Yes they are. Who gave them the right to make that decision? Isn't that power in the courts? At least the US Govt. is backing off of their influence in ICANN (at least a little).
 
Apps.com is run by Intuit (Fortune 500 payroll company) --

Apps.com is an outstanding name
 
ICANN holds that passive holding of a disputed domain name permits an unlawful inference of registration and domain use in bad faith. The other two tenets of disputed domains are that no use of the domain name or website that connected with the domain name is occurring, and that the domain holder is not widely known by that name.

link

What's source of above statement; blog link has statement but no substantiating source(s). There have been some very bad UDRP rulings -- but believe thses are bad UDRP rulings versus ICANN (though if the IP lobby gets its way...). A significant contributing factor in a recent URDP case was that there was no response. Don't get me wrong, this is not an excuse for an extremely sloppy and piss-poor ruling by the National Arbitration Forum (NAF).

Did you know NAF was sued by Minnesota for fraud, false advertising, and deceptive trade practices due to substantial bias? Now they can now only participate in domain name disputes. And they need to quickly tighten handling of domain arbitration (e.g. such as above) -- or get out of business altogether.

------------

I just posted the above and then found an excellent analysis by Paul Keating of this piss-poor decision by a NAF Panelist.
 
Last edited:
I wonder if the domain name www.AppGiveaway.com would be a good buy for Apple??? Maybe its a domain they could use in future and so securing it now would be a good idea :?:
 
I wonder if the domain name www.AppGiveaway.com would be a good buy for Apple??? Maybe its a domain they could use in future and so securing it now would be a good idea.

What a great idea!

How much for your name?
 
Please dont spam this thread.

Because I own the domain name www.appgiveaway.com and I commented on the appstore.com domain name doesnt mean I am spamming. I have genuine interest in tis topic as I own a very similar domain name operating in a very similar marketplace.
 
Because I own the domain name www.appgiveaway.com and I commented on the appstore.com domain name doesnt mean I am spamming. I have genuine interest in tis topic as I own a very similar domain name operating in a very similar marketplace.

Agree with you on that. It's not spam. We are not commenting in sales threads. Isn't this a domain news and domain discussion forum?

BTW, last time I checked, SalesForce.com (who apparently sold the AppStore name to Apple) is also the firm doing Moniker tech supt by coincidence.

P.S. Maybe Apple could also use my Apps name in my sig below :)
 
Last edited:
it is naive to think that all app- domain names are now worth more (or anything at all in some cases)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom