Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Apple iPhone could hurt the .mobi extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even with the Apple browser, it can't hurt to complement your .com by owning the .mobi equivalent name. However I think that .mobi will always be a supporting name to its big brother .com because .mobi sites are bound to lose some traffic to the .com.

I think dot mobi is best used like a folder to neatly deal with mobile traffic of the matching .com. That appears to be the case at sites like foxnews where they obviously own both the dot mobi and the dot com. Therefore I don't see how a dot mobi site can survive without its matching dot com.

At the end of the day a dot com can always produce both normal and mobile pages but a dot mobi will always be limited to being associated with mobile content only. Therefore I see .mobi as a fun add-on to the existing .com brand, a way to neatly sort traffic and around 5% of the value of the matching .com.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
just cause you searched for them on exite means they're based in japan or in japanese...... just go in the later results and everything is in english for an american audience.

With the other engines - after the first tens or so pages these all have the same content. Parking anyone? ;-)

Oh. you are right! ok, then, here you are. There ends up being more in Japan when i select the "japan sites only" radio button :-#:

237,000 (instead of the 47,500i originally posted):
http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&q=inurl:mobi+site:mobi&btnG=Google+検索&lr=lang_ja

Mobi designer, u might want to look into developing japanese idns for PPC. You got the advantage of language, you are a domainer, plus you are a developer - how many of us idners got to rely on cut and paste jp wikipedia articles for our crappy minisites. It's not easy and yet people that don't even know the language are reaping a couple hundred a mth from such minisites.

The japanese themselves are big time into idns, if you search idn.jp, most of the top names are taken by japanese registrants in like 2001.

You need to reassess your strategy to maximize returns. As for your dot mobi, theres' not much you can do to protect them - check Google trends. No businessman that goes against the trend is successful.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=.mobi,+.eu,+&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Yea, i should have bought some of them. they are advertised on Japanese tv and ads on the tokyo trains. If you were here, you could have seen a blond-headed foriegner kicking himself in the ass for not getting any. :upset:

from time to time, i search for some, but "someone" (you, hahahaha) took them! :smilewinkgrin:
ill keep lookin. thank you! :cool:

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Those are 200,000 pages you see hosted on a .mobi - the # of actually .mobi's indexed could be 20k-30k-40k etc.. go past page 11 - you see you can't

there aren't that many japanese .mobi in japanese language. Theres a bit more in english hosted in Japan however not much more than Japanese.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even with the Apple browser, it can't hurt to complement your .com by owning the .mobi equivalent name. However I think that .mobi will always be a supporting name to its big brother .com because .mobi sites are bound to lose some traffic to the .com.

I think dot mobi is best used like a folder to neatly deal with mobile traffic of the matching .com. That appears to be the case at sites like foxnews where they obviously own both the dot mobi and the dot com. Therefore I don't see how a dot mobi site can survive without its matching dot com.

At the end of the day a dot com can always produce both normal and mobile pages but a dot mobi will always be limited to being associated with mobile content only. Therefore I see .mobi as a fun add-on to the existing .com brand, a way to neatly sort traffic and around 5% of the value of the matching .com.

Funny you say this - nearly a quote of my biz partner. He has been fooling around with building a mobi website and gave up this week during final testing. He stated that he suddenly realized the website was a useless enterprise because it could only get so big. Because of the coding restrictions the website is only useful to mobile browsers, thus if the site is to truly grow it needs to be on a non-mobi domain to escape the coding restrictions.

Being on any other tld means your website can still serve content properly to both pc users and mobile users, but you can't do it the other way around because of the restrictions placed on .mobi. Owning two domains to do the same thing just doesn't make much sense.

We won't be spending any more time developing any mobi websites. We will though spend time expanding existing websites of ours and our clients to be serve mobile content as that market is growing.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fearless said:
Keep promoting the blob concept. I own blobs.com. :)
Great typo. Wish I owned it. Or is it a typo? could be a well branded on it's own...

Is there anything that keeps Wachovia from creating a thin text based website for cell phone users? I agree for some applications a text based system is acceptable.

Not at all. They just got beat to the punch. Not only are they headquartered in Charlotte NC and now have to live in the actual shadows of the Bank of America building (tallest on east coast between Philly and Atlanta) they have to look down on Bank of America Stadium where the Panthers play. That has got to be eating away at them. North Carolina 1800's born and founded banking institution getting their butts kicked by a bunch of surfer dudes from California.

Can a .mobi fanatic explain how there's any value in a .mobi beyond the established brands setting up a secondary cell phone website? How is there any value in qzx.mobi or 17K+ other 3 letter .mobis. On another forum I asked how do these major brands setting up .mobi sites increase the value of saddlebags.mobi. I said saddlebags.mobi assuming it wasn't taken. Turns out it was taken. Then I had to search for another example. It took me awhile. I finally came up with hemroidcream.mobi. I understand there's value in something like ringtones.mobi and other cell phone category names. Someone explain how it extends way far beyond that?

If I own mobi names that make up about 10% of my portfolio, does that make me a mobi fanactic? A speculator? An investor? If I don't own them, does that mean I hate them? I own no .in, .fr, .es, and perhaps 250 other ccTLD's and TLD's. Where does that put me? On the hate and despise side?

There is no value in the qzx.mobi. Therein lies the problem. There is FAR TOO MANY regs going on have no application to a mobi(le) lifestyle as you mentioned. But there is more to phones and what they are capable of doing than just ringtones. IT IS IN THE APPLICATIONS.

Just this evening I was reading the new issue of PC world. They mentioned the new GPS enabled cellphones that give you instant mapping (for a fee of course) and how now you can take it with you. Talking about the only advantage of GPS installed in vehicles is memory and non subscriber service. I don't have one so I don't know this to be the case. Garmin and Megellan should be perhaps a little concerned for the handheld GPS but again, the phone will only work where there is signal strength. Garmin and Megellan are sat based.

Have you actually gone to and used a site like boroughs.mobi? en-route.mobi?

Get directions, traffic reports, weather conditions, and more...will soon be putting in mapping. Sure, you can do this on a cell phone, use Google.com, yahoo.com, bbc.com. So do a comparison test. Which one is easier to navigate and which one gives you the quickest results.

I am not a tech head or a "geek", what ever that implies these days.

So, for a monthly fee, you can get your phone service and all of that. I would question the need for the added cost of a GPS chip and a monthly service charge for the GPS in a cell phone.

As for the insane, stupid reg for the sake of regging I will never understand. I can not explain it and I will not even bother trying to explain it. People see a word in the English dictionary and think it needs to be regged. Some can be easily branded and very applicable to the mobile lifestyle. But my God, the crap I am seeing.

You own Blobs.com. Why? Blob is taken. Good name, a gem. Well branded to this whole thread...blob, blob, blob. But, what is it marketable to? How is it to be branded? It is an end-user decision. Is Blobs.mobi worth anything? Sure, what someone is willing to pay for it if anything at all.

The other night I purchased Surfed.mobi. Any branding applications in that?

A mobi directory
Surf conditions and reports
Surf's up!

I am not one regging the hell out of everything and anything. But I am branding and marketing certain names. mTLD has taken it upon themselves to limit and restrict and reserve certain names.

Chicago is one of them. Why can't Chicago have their own mobi? Are you kidding me? Right in the middle of baseball season? News is reserved.

Can you imagine how much scores.mobi would cost? Or Chicago.mobi? Or News.mobi?

I hope to soon give Chicago their own mobi...Cubby.mobi. ChiTown was gone. But if I get it out there soon, the rest have to play catchup. I know exactly how to promote, market, and advertise this.

Naw, you don't necessarily have to be a Cubs fan. But Chicago is known as the home of the Cubby's and is perhaps proud of that. So give them something they perhaps want and need...their own distinctive mobi. But you can get maps, weather, road conditions, scores, stocks, directions, find bars, eating establishments right on your phone. Who is carrying a laptop into a sports stadium? No one. Who is carrying a camera? Most not as they have been banned in many public sports facilities. But those phone with the cameras have not.

LAL.mobi...what the hell is that? COV.mobi...what does that stand for?

Naw, you don't necessarily have to be a Cubs fan. But you can get maps, weather, road conditions, scores, stocks, directions, find bars, eating establishments right on your phone. Who is carrying a laptop into a sports stadium? No one. Who is carrying a camera? Most people are not as they have been banned in many public sports facilities. But those phone with the cameras?

Nor do I need to be a tech head or a mobi fanatic to read and keep up with the global economy and market place to see what is going on and where things are heading. It is a belief in a product and its viability and usage and versatility that has me convinced.

There will absolutely be a massive dump about this time next year. A ton of mobi's will fall as they who regged them realize what duds they have. Along with a ton of prefix "m" dot coms as they realize what duds the have. And regging typos for a mobi? Are they nuts? Do you bookmark a page you land on by mistake at your computer? WTF I am asking myself.

I can not and will not ignore the fact that there is an estimated 3.5-4 billion phones in existence right now and an estimated 7 billion by 2010. Nor can I ignore the growing trend towards IDN and the more than 250 extensions and ICANN'ts insistence to release more. I am looking at a common denominator to fill what I perceive as a coming massively fractured internet with the push (and in previously mentioned threads) the government control to implement native languages as well as ccTLD's.

That common denominator will be the phone. Sales and usage of phones in some of the poorest most remote parts of the globes. Forget about the $100 laptop. Now it is estimated to be closer to $200-$300. Who needs it?

I think you will also see the telecommunication giants finally wake up and take notice that...gee guys, we need to work together on this rather than be competitors. Services will be bundled for a reasonable fee and take your phone where ever you go and all roaming charges are included. Wouldn't it be cool to take you own cell to Sweden to pick up your Volvo? And actually use it over there?

Just as you need convincing on some fronts, someone needs to convince me that .com for stationary appliances and .mobi for portable devices can not work and co-exist. Two formats, one works better than the other on it's particular device, and both are needed.

Am I wrong? Eh, who knows. I don't think so. But there is another frontier and form of real estate that I have been investing in for about 15 years...waterfront property on the Outer Banks and interior lakes of NC. NOT houses, but raw undeveloped land...just like the internet.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Japanese have been viewing .com for years on their mobile phones. Why is it now a problem that .mobi must be used? Also, alot of Japanese sites I have seen auto adjust if you view on a smaller screen. Hell, I've seen some that are adjusted for a cell phone by default.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Japanese have been viewing .com for years on their mobile phones. Why is it now a problem that .mobi must be used? Also, alot of Japanese sites I have seen auto adjust if you view on a smaller screen. Hell, I've seen some that are adjusted for a cell phone by default.

Sorry, that is incorrect. 1000000% incorrect!

there is a function called "full browser" but the charge is quite high and is not included in the "packet houdai" which means "all you can use packet fee" for viewing mobile websites. japanese have NOT been using .com for mobile websites. They have been using .jp. now they have been using .fm and .im or whatever.

I working in developing mobile websites and have many mobile phones with me. even the new ones.

The phone that you are refering to is which phone!? i may have it here at my office.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, that is incorrect. 1000000% incorrect!

there is a function called "full browser" but the charge is quite high and is not included in the "packet houdai" which means "all you can use packet fee" for viewing mobile websites. japanese have NOT been using .com for mobile websites. They have been using .jp. now they have been using .fm and .im or whatever.

I working in developing mobile websites and have many mobile phones with me. even the new ones.

The phone that you are refering to is which phone!? i may have it here at my office.

Back your facts up... Is there some sort of federal mandate that says non mobile sites are on .com while mobile sites are on .jp?

I have been viewing both all year long. I don't see any restrictions on each.

They are using .fm and .im now? LOL, say what........ theres already a speculator in whichever country that will waunder off and try to create a site in that particular extension.

What about the Americans who use .ws .us etc

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Back your facts up... Is there some sort of federal mandate that says non mobile sites are on .com while mobile sites are on .jp?

I have been viewing both all year long. I don't see any restrictions on each.

They are using .fm and .im now? LOL, say what........ theres already a speculator in whichever country that will waunder off and try to create a site in that particular extension.

What about the Americans who use .ws .us etc

Which phone were you refering to? AU by Kddi W51 or 52 series? DoCoMo 904 series? Softbank (formally Vodafone) SH?

They are using .fm and .im now which is insane. We dont know which extension to go to.

About facts, i got a lot of them. what you want to see?

i may have misunderstood you about the "auto adjust" function. So what you mean is that if a user were to access www.live.com, it would convert to the mobile website on a .com? yes, this is true. All phones. But for it to see a pc site, it cannot.

But if "mobile.com" was owned by a pc company, why cant a mobile website company have "mobile.mobi"?

There are thousands of mobile companies that only use mobile websites and not pc sites. Their target is mobile users and not pc users. There must be a separation in this sometimes.

(dont anybody get me wrong. im not attacking personally. No hard feelings. Just debate.)

Perhaps .mobi would benefit the asian market rather than US or UK? We have a strong need for the extension.

.coms were mostly taken from usa. We use co.jp for pc and .jp for mobile. since the .jps were mostly taken, weve moved to other extensions like the .fm and .im. Sorry, no .ws. Hard to pronounce for Japanese.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Which phone were you refering to? AU by Kddi W51 or 52 series? DoCoMo 904 series? Softbank (formally Vodafone) SH?

They are using .fm and .im now which is insane. We dont know which extension to go to.

About facts, i got a lot of them. what you want to see?

i may have misunderstood you about the "auto adjust" function. So what you mean is that if a user were to access www.live.com, it would convert to the mobile website on a .com? yes, this is true. All phones. But for it to see a pc site, it cannot.

But if "mobile.com" was owned by a pc company, why cant a mobile website company have "mobile.mobi"?

There are thousands of mobile companies that only use mobile websites and not pc sites. Their target is mobile users and not pc users. There must be a separation in this sometimes.
I can't translate your babelfish but I've been researching Japanese (english domains) websites for years reading up on technology etc. I have always seen .com and .jp

I think your .IM and .FM story can be compared to storks bringing children to new parents in America. You mean I actually gotta type inurl: to see some in "decent" search rankings? Come on, mom and pop would really do that? :)

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't translate your babelfish but I've been researching Japanese (english domains) websites for years reading up on technology etc. I have always seen .com and .jp

I think your .IM and .FM story can be compared to storks bringing children to new parents in America. You mean I actually gotta type inurl: to see some in "decent" search rankings? Come on, mom and pop would really do that? :)

:lol:
unfortunately yes, so far. but when users use the google and yahoo on the search engines on the mobile websites (associated with the carriers), you can see some .mobis popping up in the search. but not all the time. I think .mobi needs some time. i do prefer .mobi over .fm when it comes to mobile websites.

I wished that there was something better than babelfish. Here are some links i hope that you will enjoy (if you dont know them already, im sure you do). I cant read up on everything, but if you see something good, please do tell us (me) .

JAPANESE (list of all new, coming soon, and past mobile phones and specs)
http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/mobile/databox/

ENGLISH:
http://www.digitalmediaasia.com/default.asp
http://www.mobilemediajapan.com/

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:lol:
unfortunately yes, so far. but when users use the google and yahoo on the search engines on the mobile websites (associated with the carriers), you can see some .mobis popping up in the search. but not all the time. I think .mobi needs some time. i do prefer .mobi over .fm when it comes to mobile websites.

I wished that there was something better than babelfish. Here are some links i hope that you will enjoy (if you dont know them already, im sure you do). I cant read up on everything, but if you see something good, please do tell us (me) .

JAPANESE (list of all new, coming soon, and past mobile phones and specs)
http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/mobile/databox/

ENGLISH:
http://www.digitalmediaasia.com/default.asp
http://www.mobilemediajapan.com/
I meant I couldn't translate your babelfish english into real english. Your responses are way offtopic and have hardly any substance to back yourself up. Alright, I'm calling it a night and heading to bed.

These websites are a joke. Digitalmediaasia - who cares who invests in which telecom company etc. I want news - you want to prove that .fm is taking the lead but when I ask for a source you show me this?

Mobilemediajapan has tons of yesterdays news on it. The last update was in February. I prefer itmedia but its in Japanese. I like to read that source.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I meant I couldn't translate your babelfish english into real english. Your responses are way offtopic and have hardly any substance to back yourself up. Alright, I'm calling it a night and heading to bed.

These websites are a joke. Digitalmediaasia - who cares who invests in which telecom company etc. I want news - you want to prove that .fm is taking the lead but when I ask for a source you show me this?

Mobilemediajapan has tons of yesterdays news on it. The last update was in February. I prefer itmedia but its in Japanese. I like to read that source.

whhooooaaa! i didnt say .fm was taking the lead! You must be sleepy. We will recap when you get back.

Have a nice rest!:asleep:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This sums it up Doc Com. You need intensive de-programming. They are not your family. We are your family. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. :)

LOL

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This sums it up Doc Com. You need intensive de-programming. They are not your family. We are your family. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. :)
So, without even an attempt to utilize any of the sites, you have come to the conclusion that my efforts are worthless and wasteful. For $60.00 I will take my chances with Surfed.mobi and for reg fee I'll let Cubby.mobi play hardball.

539376779_9f89912230_m.jpg

537136069_28ae8a14bc_o.jpg

"My COMrades. The Jim Jones' of MobiDom have lead the Sheeples astray and into eternal damnation. They are without sanity from having thirst for a taste of success and quenching that thirst from the poisonous concoction put forth by our mortal enemy, mTLD."

"Yea, though they be warned in advance of the coming doom and judgment upon them, their thoughts are those of demons and their own no more and their flesh has the stench of a sow's inards."

"MobiPHOBES! Unite! ComMOBs. Join us!"

"Let us rid ourselves of this scourge and this plaque among us. None shall live, all shall die, there will be no mercy".

And so it was that the masses took to the streets and entered all places known to harbor the lost souls and the evil doers. In keeping with their religion and all which is holy, like the Capt. Ahab of MobiPhobic SaintHood and Martydom in his insatiable quest for the great white whale, Mobi Dick...so too did the enraged swarm of DotCommies join the slaughter.

One of them, known only as DocCom, was captured.

"I want him alive so I can make an example to all that follow."

He was beaten and whipped with USB cables and strung from limb to horse at all four quarters.

"Confess and ye may live. Doubtful, but we'll take a vote."

"But I did no wrong. I hurt no one. I am not sure what I am confessing too".

"Enough of this BLOB, BLOB, BLOBS! YEEHAW! Gitty up horsie"

And so it was that DocCom was quartered from limb to limb to the four corners of the earth.

One-by-one they were rounded up, old and young alike. Chained and shackled were they whipped and beaten and spat upon and deprived of water and other bodily functions by the overwhelming force of the ComMobs.

And like lemmings falling off the cliff (with much prodding and poking and pushing by the mob), the mobiphiles could be heard exclaiming in their final breath and wisp of air, "Father DNF, forgive us. We knew not what we regged!"

Thud.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yea, i should have bought some of them. they are advertised on Japanese tv and ads on the tokyo trains. If you were here, you could have seen a blond-headed foriegner kicking himself in the ass for not getting any. :upset:

from time to time, i search for some, but "someone" (you, hahahaha) took them! :smilewinkgrin:
ill keep lookin. thank you! :cool:

Me? i'm not into idn.jp, i'm mostly regging idn.com. I hope i had gone into .jp earlier, but was busy with othre languages. After that, around mid 2006, i could have gotten in, but i thought the best ones are gone, but it turned out there were still many around and others took it while keeping quiet.

All this happened when ppl like acro were blasting away idn right here. Funny, but funny things do happen. If you are in japan, and you don't know what's going on, but indeed a lot of landgrab is going on, and few here are talking about it.

This teaches me not to take postings on this forum at face value.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, without even an attempt to utilize any of the sites, you have come to the conclusion that my efforts are worthless and wasteful.

Ok I gave you a unique for surfed.mobi and tried to for cubby.mobi but got a server error. Both times I typed in .com first. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom