Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Apple iPhone could hurt the .mobi extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok I gave you a unique for surfed.mobi and tried to for cubby.mobi but got a server error. Both times I typed in .com first. :)
Neither are active sites. I have only done preliminary graphics.

In all my dribble I thought I mentioned soon to be released cubby. And Surfed was just purchased two nights ago.

I am not the programmer. But I am learning as quickly as I can.

The others are active.

Nice story, huh? good happy ending :cheesy:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, without even an attempt to utilize any of the sites, you have come to the conclusion that my efforts are worthless and wasteful. For $60.00 I will take my chances with Surfed.mobi and for reg fee I'll let Cubby.mobi play hardball.

539376779_9f89912230_m.jpg

537136069_28ae8a14bc_o.jpg

"My COMrades. The Jim Jones' of MobiDom have lead the Sheeples astray and into eternal damnation. They are without sanity from having thirst for a taste of success and quenching that thirst from the poisonous concoction put forth by out mortal enemy, mTLD."

"Yea, though they be warned in advance of the coming doom and judgment upon them, their thoughts are those of demons and their own no more and their flesh has the stench of a sow's inards."

"MobiPHOBES! Unite! ComMOBs. Join us!"

"Let us rid ourselves of this scourge and this plaque among us. None shall live, all shall die, there will be no mercy".

And so it was that the masses took to the streets and entered all places known to harbor the lost souls and the evil doers. In keeping with their religion and all which is holy, like the Capt. Ahab of MobiPhobic SaintHood and Martydom in his insatiable quest for the great white whale, Mobi Dick...so too did the enraged swarm of DotCommies join the slaughter.

One of them, known only as DocCom, was captured.

"I want him alive so I can make an example to all that follow."

He was beaten and whipped with USB cables and strung from limb to horse at all four quarters.

"Confess and ye may live. Doubtful, but we'll take a vote."

"But I did no wrong. I hurt no one. I am not sure what I am confessing too".

"Enough of this BLOB, BLOB, BLOBS! YEEHAW! Gitty up horsie"

And so it was that DocCom was quartered from limb to limb to the four corners of the earth.

One-by-one they were rounded up, old and young alike. Chained and shackled were they whipped and beaten and spat upon and deprived of water and other bodily functions by the overwhelming force of the ComMobs.

And like lemmings falling off the cliff (with much prodding and poking and pushing by the mob), the mobiphiles could be heard exclaiming in their final breath and wisp of air, "Father DNF, forgive us. We knew not what we regged!"

Thud.

LMAO

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You keep bringing up my names like huh?com. Keep on promoting. :)
I mention that I am working on two. Sorry they are not fast enough. How'd you enjoy TIME.mobi, en-route.mobi, boroughs.mobi? See how the Spurs were doing on NBA.mobi? Did you book your flight to Sweden on SAS.mobi? Volvo.mobi is currently a redirect.

Promote, promote, promote. Blobs, blobs, blobs. :asleep: 3 am. Got work to do.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I brainstormed last night and came up with a fullproof plan for the .mobi fanatics to convert the .mobi realists. Each .mobi fanatic should give their worst .mobi to a .mobi realist. Then they're hooked. They will then experience the .mobi euphoria. Next thing you know they will be registering the likes of hemroidcream.mobi and backwoodsbeerjoints.mobi. This method works great for heroine dealers. :smilewinkgrin:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I brainstormed last night...
No point in hurting yourself or troubling yourself over this any longer. It's done. It's over with. I've surrendered by entire portfolio.

Naw, just kidding. Time to move onto more serious matters.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still haven't seen any good .mobi's in these appraisal threads or in discussions on DNF, NP, DS etc. Seems like .mobi has an agenda to sell the premiums to the highest bidder.
:p

Just start up a registry - reserve a 30 page list of names - auction them off = profit then close up shop and stop the PR bandwagon

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...registering the likes of hemroidcream.mobi

540797797_64eb1933b1_m.jpg

Please be sure to read all enclosed instructions
on proper usage and applications

540797803_34c0007d6c_m.jpg

Use at your own risk.
Not responsible for intentional abuse.
If problems continue or if rash persists,
please consult your physician immediately
for comedic relief.

I still haven't seen any good .mobi's in these appraisal threads or in discussions on DNF, NP, DS etc. Seems like .mobi has an agenda to sell the premiums to the highest bidder.
:
Of course, all the other domains for sale on these same forums are premium gems, are they not? And every seller has an agenda to sell their piece of crap .com, .net, .eu, .info., .cn, .org to the highest bidder?

"...got $1200. Looking for more." Hells bells, we're all looking for more.

Flipping mobi's? How many non mobiburgers are being flipped for a buck right now on this forum.

If these domain names are not premium and gems, then that is why I suggested the P.O.S. thread.

Geez, got drop wires to check.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still haven't seen any good .mobi's in these appraisal threads or in discussions on DNF, NP, DS etc.

most people that grabbed mobi's starting at landrush do not need to post in an appraisal thread.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thats because .mobi had a 30 page reserved list. The leftovers were so horrible .mobi people were too afraid to ask for appraisals

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thats because .mobi had a 30 page reserved list. The leftovers were so horrible .mobi people were too afraid to ask for appraisals

or like i said, the people with decent ones are not interested in appraisals.

besides, going by an appraisal 9 months after the TLD is released is only good for flipping.. and thats if you actually get an accurate appraisal (whatever that is).

glance at the namepros .mobi subforum, you will see people posting new threads of god awful hand-regs asking for appraisals every day..

cyberair

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jobs also dropped some more news that could affect Web 2.0 developers, albeit more expected this time. By virtue of the fact that the iPhone (which launches in the US on June 29th) has a full version of Safari, developers will be able to create rich applications for the iPhone simply by creating web apps using AJAX. Web apps will be able to take advantage of the iPhone's native capabilities (like call dialing or the built-in Google Maps) and there is no specialized software development kit. Just about anything that runs on Safari, should run on the iPhone. - Read/WriteWeb

Another major advantage of running a full version website on your phone.

PVFARKAS

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If .mobi is on pace for 1M by 2008, how is it a flop. look at Edwards' initial projection for 2008. :undecided:

***flashback***
Quote - "DotMobi's Edwards estimates that several hundred thousand .mobi domain names will be registered by 2008."

'Mobile browsing gets a '.mobi' fix...Web services for mobile phones are in urgent need of a jumpstart. A new domain is at least a step in the right direction.' CNN Money Business 2.0 Magazine, October 4 2006: 1:33 PM EDT
http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/02/technology/mobi_domain.biz2/index.htm

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If .mobi is on pace for 1M by 2008, how is it a flop.
2 year registrations only and a bunch of fooled domainers = 1M by 2008. 250K by 2009. :)

Some interesting quotes in that article.

"There are plenty of skeptics. To some analysts, .mobi is little more than a marketing ploy aimed at generating buzz around the inchoate mobile Web. Rather than help problem, they say, .mobi will only confuse users who will now have to remember to insert separate Web addresses for the same site, depending on whether they're using a computer or a handheld."

This must be why we heard .mobi will be the default or a big .mobi button on the cell phone.

"It's entirely plausible that companies are snatching up names to safeguard against trademark infringement or fraud, says Ask."

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
most of the .mobi's are held by domainers

did you check the expiration date for flowers.mobi? They didn't even have him a long registration term for that $200k :p .

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The mobi extension has development limitations that other extensions don't have.
Mobile sites are boring an unattractive.
Mobile sites are difficult to monetize with advertising.
Mobile sites are not an pleasant place to do research or conduct business.
Mobile sites are good for a quick on/off experience when there is no better opportunity available to you.

The end result: some companies will offer a mobile compatible site their .com customers as a convenience (may or may not end in ".mobi"). A scattering of people may be able to build a small business based on a mobile compatible site. There will not be a rush of entrepreneurs looking for generic names to build mobile-only businesses from. It's just not realistic to think that.

PVFARKAS

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
on the thread issue..
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:-cCVsAZ-X8kJ:pc.dev.mobi/blog%3Fpage%3D5+nokia+.mobi+default+phone&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=18&gl=us

"But here's the thing. I believe .mobi is about so much more than just small, compliant markup that will reliably work on all handsets. It's also about the context of mobility: it's about a web user inferring that the provider of the site has thought through what he or she, on the move, wants to do on that site. Or to put it another way, with an acid test: if I was on the move, was running Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox 2 on my phone, and I knew that the site I want has both .com and .mobi addresses, which would I choose?"

So, let's say major cities throw a couple of billboards up, some subway ads posted, some radio plugs, the little taxi ads #&*%& boom - the public learns of .mobi - admit it, that's easy enough. ..The real question becomes is it something the public will use (not even if its necessary, needed, useful, better, which market section, age group). or however small, arguendo, does .mobi have its place for users that come continue to enjoy and come to depend on grasping easy to use, quick access content?

Aesthetics, content, ads - c'mon, that's the easy stuff :uhoh:

I did see Nokia considering a default .mobi today, anyone know if true?>
Also others raised that predictive text could bring in .mobi

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mobile sites are boring an unattractive.
Kind of
.Mobi sites are boring an unattractive.
TRUE if you forward them to .com, you can make them nice
Mobile sites are difficult to monetize with advertising.
FALSE
Mobile sites are not an pleasant place to do research or conduct business.
VERY FALSE
Mobile sites are good for a quick on/off experience when there is no better opportunity available to you.
FALSE

The facts i stated are based in Japan. I guess from where you are, you are so late in mobile technology. So in this case, you know everything about mobile technology 5 years ago? :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom