Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

** Apple showcases dotMobi sites at iPhone.com **

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain Summit 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Apple's built in Safari browser renders .mobi pointless as a special mobile-specific TLD. Google's upcoming gPhone will seal the tombstone.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apple's built in Safari browser renders .mobi pointless as a special mobile-specific TLD. Google's upcoming gPhone will seal the tombstone.

there is no gphone danielson....

its pretty obvious you know nothing about mobile and are not a mobile surfer yourself.

its like my 90 year old grandpa saying "the internet and computers.... BAH!"

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I guess you only watch FOX news.

Getting nervous as the .mobi becomes more obsolete than my old ZX-80?

My regards to your grandpa, I am sure if he didn't have Alzheimer's he'd smack you up.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess you only watch FOX news.

Getting nervous as the .mobi becomes more obsolete than my old ZX-80?

My regards to your grandpa, I am sure if he didn't have Alzheimer's he'd smack you up.

you should stick to what you know man... cant be a guru on everything.

yes, im nervous about the 100's of landrush mobi's i got effectively for free in landrush - what ever will i do. :lol:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If you take pride in considering yourself a fool's gold peddler, I am sure you will do well.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you take pride in considering yourself a fool's gold peddler, I am sure you will do well.

ya, anyone who sells extentions other than .com and country codes are scammers.

seriously, when they stop taking my mobi money at the grocery store - ill let you know. :yes:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Your argument that .mobi is a technology-driven, mobile-specific namespace has long fallen apart. Like all new TLD's, the .mobi namespace was created so that the same good old keywords can be resold while the "mobi mania" was ongoing. If you made good money during this fiesta of mobi's, good for you. Just don't push your fake Rolex in the face of everyone else.

So now that hardware such as the iPhone renders any such mobile-specific namespace pointless, you have no more arguments justifying the existence of .mobi. I made that statement a long time ago; someone's argument was that cellphones will come with a "Go mobi" red button that'd add the .mobi characters to save time. Now that was a good laugh :D

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you should stick to what you know man... cant be a guru on everything.

yes, im nervous about the 100's of landrush mobi's i got effectively for free in landrush - what ever will i do. :lol:

How could you have gotten anything worthwhile when the .mobi premium list is around 27 pages itself...

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your argument that .mobi is a technology-driven, mobile-specific namespace has long fallen apart. Like all new TLD's, the .mobi namespace was created so that the same good old keywords can be resold while the "mobi mania" was ongoing.

So now that hardware such as the iPhone renders any such mobile-specific namespace pointless, you have no more arguments justifying the existence of .mobi. I made that statement a long time ago; someone's argument was that cellphones will come with a "Go mobi" red button that'd add the .mobi characters to save time. Now that was a good laugh :D

wrong. i personally never said any of that...

there is no justification for the existence of .mobi.... they applied for it through ICANN and got it accepted.. lucky them.. now im making money because other people are willing to make speculative purchases just like me.

end of story.

How could you have gotten anything worthwhile when the .mobi premium list is around 27 pages itself...

believe me, i did.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is an iPhone enthusiast/technologist's perspective....

The iPhone has completely changed how I interact with information on the go. When I travel I leave the notebook at home. I take the iPhone, an Airport Express for the hotel room (or anywhere) and an APC power pack for heavier use days. Everything else lives on a 8 GB USB stick or "the cloud." The exception is if I think I am going to need to create or edit rich content, like a Powerpoint deck.

Still, for all of the enthusiasm about the iPhone and it's ability to browse most of the broader web, it's made me realize that there will always be a place for the mobile Internet. More than two-thirds of the time I am accessing the web from my iPhone, I am connecting to mobile or "iPhonized" sites that are in between the stripped down versions and the real thing. This includes when I am using wifi. I have two bookmarks for many of my favorite sites - one for the mobile or iPhone-specific version, another for the real thing.

That's bad news for web developers who are hoping that one day they won't need to re-code sites for handheld devices. The problem is they will always have to even if broadband is truly ubiquitous. The reason is cell phones and other gadgets are designed to fit in your hand. It doesn't matter if it's a PSP, a Treo or an iPhone or whatever comes next. From a UI perspective, mobile sites work beautifully on phones - as do information apps if the platform supports it.

This means web sites increasingly need to give consumers a choice when browsing from a mobile device. Many do not. They "sniff" what browser you're using and then serve up the site that will give you the best experience. The problem is that browser sniffing, particularly on devices like the iPhone, doesn't work because it supports all page formats.

Consider weather.com, for example. The popular weather site determines your browser and then serves up a site that's best formatted for it. Enter the iPhone, however. There are times you want to browse the lite version and other times you want the big daddy. Unfortunately, they don't give you a choice and this in particular has caused some iPhone users to get upset.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is digg. You can browse the full version, a mobile site or an iPhone flavor. You get to decide.

The mobile web is far from dead but consumer choice is just as critical as these devices get more sophisticated.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i dont give a rats ass if any of you think .mobi is good or not. lets just make money instead of trying to prove who is more smarter.

"my dad can kick your dads ass"

"no he cant, cause my dad can kick your ass."

WTF. grow up. its a biz. Where the hell is the humor? the fun? thought we were in the same biz, but all i see is a lot of little girls bitching. dont you have anything else better to do!? This bitching about .mobi being good or not is boring the F out of me (and maybe the others). You wanna buy? buy. You dont want to buy? dont buy.

C'mon guys! lets just make money and have fun! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom