Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Appraise: budgetlodgings.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I decide to sell this, what should be my asking price:

budgetlodgings.com

thanx
:sleep:

Domain summit 2024

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At a budget price of course.

$100-$300.

M

MattyP

Hi namedancer.

While I wont waste your time giving you my appraisal of your name, ( I once thought I could value names but quickly learnt I couldn't ), I would like to remark on names ending in ING/S

It seems to me that people are reluctant to type in names and add ...ING to the end of them.

I have tried many names in overture ending with ING and while the singular or plural version may score highly the ING version rarely does.

I am not saying this is true of all names ending in ING but overall that is my experience.

Matt

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depends whether it is an adjective or a verb.

planning.com is better than plan.com, IMO, more punchy.

M

MattyP

Mole.

I agree some names sound better ending in ING. It was a surprise to me to find the ING names lacking in overture numbers.

In overture. Planning.com last month recorded 37 searches.
Plan.com 67.

Matt

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Matt, IMO Overture is only one instrument to benchmark value. I agree that this may prove the most convenient way to assign value, but this value game is probably a lot more complicated than what Overture will lead us to believe.

M

MattyP

Too true Mole.

Though when you see Chat.com got 50,270 searches last month and Chatting.com got 2,487 it helps you decide what name is more valuable.

I would not think for one moment that I knew the value of a name better than you or anyone else here.

Those figures do seem to tell a story of their own though.

Matt

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's an obvious example, Matt. Chatting sounds like a bunch of bored housewives gaggling away, and it definitely ain't cool or really intuitive of an address for that genre.

Some names just seem like 'compromised' and 'contrived'.

consultant is good. consultants in comparison, kinda seems like a compromise.

debate is good, debated seems like a second choice for those who missed the boat.

planning and plan are equally good, since both are equally intuitive sounding addresses in their own rights.

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the comments guys.

I actually was more worried about the plural than the "ing" in this case. In both cases though-- like most of you agree-- I believe it depends on the particular word and how it works as all or part of a name.

In many cases I wouldn't want an "ing". In a word such as let's say "hosting", I don't think it hurts, other than giving it three more characters to type and an extra syllable to say. In this particular case, apart from that, "lodging" is better than "lodge". "Budget lodge" didn't give a result on the Overture tool, but just the single word "lodge" produces 9667 results and just the word "lodging" produces 86,972 results. That doesn't mean of course that "budget lodges" or "budget lodgings" will produce many type-ins, but is useful for comparison.

The possible problem for me was the "s", since "lodging" is so often used for the plural as well. To compensate for this "lodgings" suggests a wide choice of places to stay, not just one discount chain, so I still wanted the name despite the "s". Also lodging or lodgings suggests hotels, motels, inns, b&bs, hostels, etc. in one term.

As an aside I noticed it now is taking two or three tries each time to get the Overture tool to work. I wonder if people are running bots or something. It IS Saturday night, we should be out dancing. Or in my case, name-dancing :)

G

gbrott

I think it is a pretty good name, and would not sell it for $300. Think of all the people with sites trying to promote hotels (general sites or sites for a specific hotel in a specific place) that have far worse names than that...

you gotta market it though. you'll need to send out 100 emails to get some nibbles, but they'll be there.

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You're right, gbrott, there are some awful ones out there, which I won't libel by naming. Just saw one that would have been lousy as a .com, only it was .tv to boot.

So that's how you guys manage to sell domains, send 100 emails. That sounds a bit like real work, esp. now that my a/c went kaputt and I'm sweating just sitting here. Maybe I'll throw a few banners up instead and try to make a buck with it myself.

Many thanx for your valuation and comments. :)

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>I noticed it now is taking two or three tries each time to get the Overture tool to work. I wonder if people are running bots or something.

Yes, this was frustrating for the last few days, but it seems to be working fine now.

have to agree with matty that "ing" names generally aren't particularly good from a traffic point of view. Admittedly though the name sounds better than average, and may possibly get above reg fee on ebay.

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The ING plus the "s" kills the name

no value on this domainâ„¢

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators