Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

dotster Are Dotster and EuroDNS related in any way ?

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Dotster.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does Dotster own EuroDNS or are they both part of the same head co or something ....? Since I will not buy any domains that are w/EuroDNS I check the WHOIS all the time and some name I wanted was regged at MyDomain (Dotster's cheaper alter ego, same exact co, your Dotster ID works at MyDomain and vice versa), I was gonna go for it but the seller then told me it was actually w/EuroDNS, ie he had no idea who MyDomain was. Then it happened again, and again.... Other times the WHOIS would read DotRegistrar as the registrar and the domain was indeed at EuroDNS

So I thought for a while EuroDNS was now using Dotster as their real registrar but many other names still read EuroDNS as the registrar in the WHOIS. I searched this and the only post I found was someone saying Dotster kind of owns EuroDNS, that it owns it but via MyDomain ?! what that means exactly and if it's even true I just don't know...

Some who know me know I avoid EuroDNS (aka EuroTrash) like the plague, long story why that is, so if a name is w/EuroDNS I don't buy it no matter how good the deal except if the auction house puts it in writing 1st that I'm guaranteed a transfer to another registrar

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Which domain ? Is this a ccTLD ?
You can check the actual registrar here.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Clever comment, crazyd LMAO ....and I take it you meant Dotster was the evil one and EuroTrash the ignorant....

I haven't done as much biz w/Dotster so I haven't had many problems there, but you may have. They're too expensive, period. Some promo once a year for a price that's not low to begin with, then move the name elsewhere after a year .....no, thanks. So I don't know about 'evil' lol ....but given a chance they may prove that...

EuroCrap is another story, the absoulte worst, the most ignorant, a true scumbag of a registrar, the bottom of the bottom registrars, the most disgusting which will ever exist, and I've seen my share of really bad ones. Do not even entertain doing business w/those cokcsukcers, many people do not check the WHOIS before buying a name, it's a pain in the ass bidding in auction only after you've checked the WHOIS but we should. If a name is there, do not buy it. They really screwed me when I was a noob --and it wans't because I didn't know what I was doing and they took advantage, then I would've been at fault-- It's too long to explain, I lost more than a dozen domains, they totally ignored me, I went to ICANN and filed complaints twice and they ignored me as well.... tough shit if you pick the wrong registrar and you later report the mofo's to ICANN.... they could not care any less, and they run the internet....
:confused:
No, but they probably should be. One company is evil, one is ignorant.

Katherine, thanks for referring me to Verisign, I was familiar with it, the ultimate WHOIS at least for the extensions they own but I find those results too limited.... even for their own extensions. Funny, I used that very WHOIS in the EuroScum saga then and it was one of my arguments....the market tanked after and those names were worth a lot less and I didn't pay a fortune for them. But no, it wasn't a ccTLD, both were .com's. It might have been a WHOIS error

As to what the domains were, I lost track of those notes, I usually save that especially w/such astounding results like the two names being with EuroScam but listed DotRegistrar as the registrar, like I said I had read Dotster owned EuroTrash (maybe a stake in it) thru MyDomain (Doster's cheaper twin) ....so maybe at some point they actually did....
:sick:
Which domain ? Is this a ccTLD ? You can check the actual registrar here.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
eurodns coupons are great deals and i've been using them for years, no issues that didn't get resolved

same with dotster

imo...

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Clever comment, crazyd LMAO ....and I take it you meant Dotster was the evil one and EuroTrash the ignorant....

No, the other way around actually.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh, k, I see. The way you worded your 1st post I thought you meant the opposite (although Dotster = Evil was not something I had heard often, so I had my doubts....) :smilewinkgrin:

I don't have anything against Dotster actually, other than who on earth pays $14.99 for a .com reg LMFAO ? Not domainers. I wonder how they're still in business, coupons can only get you so far and they more than get you at renewal time even if you got a decent reg/transfer fee. I've used them mainly as transition, if I win a name that's there I leave it there til before it expires. I did a few handregs w/promos but got sick of moving names out after a year, no matter who the registrar is, so I just don't bother w/that strategy anymore. Dotster even has a surcharge of $2 or $3 if you want a "transfer lock" in place....isn't a locked name a locked name ? LMFAO, that must be an exec lock, just a way to get you to spend more. I've called support a couple of times, so I can see where the "ignorant" quip you made comes from

Lately I've seen a lot of complaints right here about Dotster, but many are actually about MyDomain, its cheap triplet. Domain.com is the other triplet but I've never even been to their site

No, the other way around actually.

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dotster, Domain.com, MyDomain, 000Domains, they are all the same, under the umbrella of EIG Corporation, and it's the same call center you reach when you call there. They essentially hired people off the streets to do their customer and tech support, from what I understand. People who didn't even know what a domain name was, yesterday. So take their "support" with a grain of salt. If they can do something for you, then great, but be cautious of the information they give you.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And I question the rationality used by any co naming its business 000Domains, could it be because they're actually like a zero on the left lol ? ie having no value, totally useless

As for a registrar literally hiring people off the street who actually don't know what a domain is and who are supposed to read a screen in front of them after searching the topic of your question, not enough can be said about this being done by many of them because it's actually true, people get no training whatsoever and they totally misinform you and when you report it then it's the customer's fault for whatever reason

Unless Dotster gets its act together quick I'd say it has already seen its best days, too bad, Dotster is a great catchy name for a registrar

Dotster, Domain.com, MyDomain, 000Domains, they are all the same, under the umbrella of EIG Corporation, and it's the same call center you reach when you call there. They essentially hired people off the streets to do their customer and tech support, from what I understand. People who didn't even know what a domain name was, yesterday. So take their "support" with a grain of salt. If they can do something for you, then great, but be cautious of the information they give you.

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And I question the rationality used by any co naming its business 000Domains, could it be because they're actually like a zero on the left lol ? ie having no value, totally useless

Each of these companies has a long history. 000Domains.com used to be a smaller registrar run by a very nice guy, and they did a good job. Then Dotster bought them. Dotster of course has been around since 1999 or so. MyDomain.com had been around for a very long time and people loved their free url and dns services, and then Dotster bought them out. Everything is owned by EIG as of a year or so ago, a company who has been gobbling up companies such as HostGator and others. The point is, if you have domains at any of these companies, you can expect essentially the same service from EIG because you are calling/contacting the same service center that handles them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators