Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Are .net domains even worth a damn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No. A relevant ccTLD (e.g. .CA for Canadians) is ALWAYS much better than a totally irrelevant gTLD, like .NET for a restaurant
But this is you, as a domainer, calling the .net irrelevant when for me the .ca is irrelevant.

That is my point exactly.

Domainers trying to make a point of comparison but those same domainers want to keep certain extensions or words out of those comparisons.

What you claim as relevant to you and many others is totally irrelevant (as well as irrational) to me.

Hockey.net or Hockey.ca

Which is more valuable? Which is relevant? Which is irrelevant? Which would have a bigger audience? In how many countries is Hockey their national sport?

To make a claim that .net is a totally irrelevant gTLD is hogwash.

spokeswoman

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love .net domains! I sold some of them at nice roi. :)

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hockey.ca all the way ! Great example and analogy of the relative value of TLDs based on the keyword in question.

We're primarily a network infrastructure organisation, and albeit not for very long (under 15 years) but nonetheless,... use .net as our primary domain.

We've had plenty of success with all TLDs. net/ca/co.uk/.com whatever.

Content is king.

If you're simply hoping to make $xxx/month chump change parking'n'praying for type-in traffic that has zero CPA value, sure..... .com obviously! But for real world business, you can't compare .de to .ca to .net to .com ...

Sorry, my $0.02 ;)

Rob

beyond.domaining

www.BeyondDomaining.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you're going to develop your names, dot nets are great for SEO purposes. its a cheap way to 'get in' to a valuable keyword.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure, sure. Using .NET for a local fish n chips restaurant is perfectly relevant (just as using a .ORG for a multi-national auto parts manufacturer) because some end-users who don't even know how to send email *THINK* it's okay. Knowledge no longer mattes when ignorance rules. More importantly, being a self-proclaimed spokesperson of "end-users" is probably the best job on earth: no credentials or statistics needed, just shoot randomly.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure, sure. Using .NET for a local fish n chips restaurant is perfectly relevant (just as using a .ORG for a multi-national auto parts manufacturer) because some end-users who don't even know how to send email *THINK* it's okay. Knowledge no longer mattes when ignorance rules. More importantly, being a self-proclaimed spokesperson of "end-users" is probably the best job on earth: no credentials or statistics needed, just shoot randomly.
vs. your attempt to warn all "don't buy .net!", "don't use .net" because ccTLD and .ca is better.

I am not knocking .ca. But for you to claim .net is worthless and useless is purely absurd. To even think that hockey.ca would have a larger audience and larger aftermarket than hockey.net is very small thinking.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vs. your attempt to warn all "don't buy .net!", "don't use .net" because ccTLD and .ca is better.

I am not knocking .ca. But for you to claim .net is worthless and useless is purely absurd. To even think that hockey.ca would have a larger audience and larger aftermarket than hockey.net is very small thinking.
I never said "don't buy .net" or "don't use .net", so please don't put words into my mouth.

Perhaps you don't even know that on the business cards I hand out to clients, there is a .NET domain prominently displayed, taking up 1/4 of the surface. Guess what? I use a .NET for my flagship website!

I never said .NET is worthless or useless. But in Canada, you can rest assured that hockey.ca wins over hockey.net. That is also why I said a relevant ccTLD is ALWAYS better than .NET. There is a whole world outside the U.S. if you care to look around.

To recap, I say, .NET is CLEARLY overrated.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never said "don't buy .net" or "don't use .net", so please don't put words into my mouth.

Perhaps you don't even know that on the business cards I hand out to clients, there is a .NET domain prominently displayed, taking up 1/4 of the surface. Guess what? I use a .NET for my flagship website!

I never said .NET is worthless or useless. But in Canada, you can rest assured that hockey.ca wins over hockey.net. That is also why I said a relevant ccTLD is ALWAYS better than .NET. There is a whole world outside the U.S. if you care to look around.

To recap, I say, .NET is CLEARLY overrated.
Thanks, I need someone on a domain forum who states "... a totally irrelevant gTLD, like .NET" to give me a global social studies lesson.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
to answer the OP's question:

Are .net domains even worth a damn?

Hell yes.

And why do people keep asking these same questions over and over?

yes .net are worthy

i have plenty .net domains that get traffic and rev$

and the thread imo, was started just so the OP could showcase some of his new .net handregged domains

ftaylor

.scot
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't register any of the names before I started the thread.

4u-domains

DNF Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
com
CC
Net

For a US or International project we would use .com and consider nothing else.

For a UK project we would acquire the .com and co.uk BUT use the .co.uk for development. Seems to work well.

CC tlds are big sellers but dont make the headlines or get readily reported.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For me the tide has turned as far as my registration habits.

I go for .com and .ca at the same time now.

-=DCG=-

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hockey.net works great if you are selling hockey nets ;-)

ftaylor

.scot
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fishing.net would work even better!

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would prefer Hockey.net to Hockey.ca personally, just like I would prefer Baseball.net over Baseball.us

Both sports are more famous in the home countries, however Hockey and Baseball are both played in much of the world. I would rather have the broad appeal over the limited scope of ccTLD.

On a side note until 1994 Hockey was not the national sport of Canada, it was lacrosse only. Now both sports share the title.

Brad

But this is you, as a domainer, calling the .net irrelevant when for me the .ca is irrelevant.

That is my point exactly.

Domainers trying to make a point of comparison but those same domainers want to keep certain extensions or words out of those comparisons.

What you claim as relevant to you and many others is totally irrelevant (as well as irrational) to me.

Hockey.net or Hockey.ca

Which is more valuable? Which is relevant? Which is irrelevant? Which would have a bigger audience? In how many countries is Hockey their national sport?

fuelcells

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't like nets that much.. i dont know why but it may be because there is just the common subconscious and/or consciously engrained concept that it is second best, secondary, second to com... i'd prefer cctlds.. BUT i don't have the opportunity to buy those in other countries due to the restrictions... I still have many nets though because people will buy them and i know there is some value in them... what i cant develop(to my capabilities), i sell and vice versa. it's fun either way.

ftaylor

.scot
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not aware of any countries other than America that play baseball. Certainly no European countries at any rate.

gafadi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
baseball is big at Japan and korea is also pretty big at baseball

and if you mean America as just United states, various other Latin countries, eg, Cuba, Dominican republic and other play baseball too

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators