Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Are NetSol dropping any names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew if NetSol (Verisign) are dropping any names at this point, or are they just waiting for the decision of WLS? Also what is the standard waiting period after a name becomes avaialable with NetSol. Is it 30 or 45 days? They seem to be very inconsistent with their drops.

Domain summit 2024

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Goh, I meant if you know of any names under them that has dropped the last 2 weeks or so. I'm monitoring several names that expired 1-2 months ago. But no change in their root server and the sites for some of them are still up.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For NetSol? "Inconsisitent" is a complement, "messy" would be more accurate (even though I am not that into the conspiracy theory).

Some names are dropped in 3 months, most are not after 6, and there are uncountable examples of domains on hold for more than a year. Go figure it yourself.

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
They are still dropping names. Just looked through a list of soon to expire names and there's a bunch of netsol names in there now.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the good ones arn't droping...
Verisign is hogging them for its WLS

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by goh

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

and... vice versa :)

One man's treasure is another man's trash

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not an insider, but from what I learn from published reports and news and stats and else, my conclusion is that: Verisign just doesn't have the ABILITY to hold back any good names.

Go figure the hours needed simply to screen through all those expired names every day. If a staff member is assigned with the decision to screen names, he or she must be senior enough to do so; and you could guess his or her hourly salary rate. And we all know that it's not one person's workload.

My take is that Verisign is in a mess right now. From their company structure and number of staff, you could tell that the number of domain names registered with them over the past 3 years (AND then transferred or let expired) actually outgrows their capacity.

Register.com experiences similar metamorphosis. Their service WAS good in the good old days (and that's why many people like me dumped NetSol for them), but with the exponential growth of domain names registered, their level of customer service then dropped significantly.

I have picked up a couple of dropped names from VRSN in the last several days, but the flood definitely seems to have turned to a trickle in the last few weeks.

VRSN Registrar has serious difficulty with even the most mundane tasks in the best of times - it must be chaos over there right now. I too would be very surprised if they were able to intentionally hang on to 'the good names' on any sort of widespread basis.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Verisign is hogging them for its WLS

One question, will all your snap backs with Snap Names automatically be converted to WLS if it kicks in? Who will actually be in charge of this service? I thought Snap Names were the only ones offering the service.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the good ones will be held for the WLS, I might be in a good position of landing some gems :)

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IF WLS is rolled out, it will definitely NOT be excluding names with Snaps on them. I know SnapNames tried to put a different spin on this early on (probably to boost revenues) but Verisign has stated that there will be NO special treatment for SnapBack holders.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cartoonz you have ruined my day. It was worth a shot though, and it sounded too good to be true :) What will happen to the Snap Backs? Will people get refunded for any outstanding Snap Back or? There is no purpose to keep that service if the WLS kicks in.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
FYI, NetSol dropped www.greetings.net.

It did so ONLY about 6 weeks after expired.

Of course, I wasn't able to get it.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>but with the exponential growth of domain names registered, their level of
>customer service then dropped significantly.

Read:

Spent too much money on crack for the directors, who then went out and purchased screw-up's like Afternic.com for WAY too much money.

I really doubt that SnapNames would be so gung-ho on the WLS unless they had some plan for existing customers. Even if there is no official treatment for Snapbacks, I bet that somehow those back-orders are turned into WLS orders. SnapNames apparently wrote the software for this thing - I'm sure they left themselves some way to help out their own customers.

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cartoonz
IF WLS is rolled out, it will definitely NOT be excluding names with Snaps on them. I know SnapNames tried to put a different spin on this early on (probably to boost revenues) but Verisign has stated that there will be NO special treatment for SnapBack holders.

Depends on your definition of "special treatment". Every version of the WLS proposal I have seen states that domain names with Snaps on them will be excluded from the WLS. The argument is mostly to avoid lawsuits from injured Snapback holders. (yeah, right.)

Verisign's spin on "special treatment" is that Snapback holders will not get any preferential treatment when the names drop. Any names excluded from the WLS will get fought over at drop time just like they do now. That would end within a year of the WLS "trial" after all existing Snaps expire.

So, names with Snapbacks do NOT go into the WLS, and Snapback holders do not get "special treatment."

If you have seen a proposal from SnapNames or Verisign that states differently, please post a link.

BD :rolleyes:

windyreddy

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nameslave, There has definitely been a drastic fall in quality and to some extent quantity in the drops in the recent past.

If not manually, Verisign could be using a set of indicators to zero on the domains, to save for the WLS. Indicators like:

1) # WHOIS lookups made for a domain
2) Availability checks made for a domain
3) pollination in other tlds
4) Year of registration ( the years before 1997 saw the best of the registrations)
5) Single words

These are just some I could think of !! There could be more such indicators, that the senior members can point out.

I am a newbie & perhaps not qualified enough, but I thought this may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators