Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed ArnoldSchwarzenegger.US

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Geez.

Trouble must be your middle name.

:(

T

Tee

Yeah and that guy is like strong too. He could take you to court and then beat you up. I don't know. This is a hard one.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wait until he a govener or something, he cant be the President coz he is foreign born.

:)

F

firstPerson

hmmn..then I'd need www.USAattorney.US ;)

but what the heck, it's not a TRADEMARKED name..there could be any person in this world who is a schwarzenegger and that schwarzenegger can be arnold also ? so, what's the big deal ?

-firstPerson
it's a site for people by people
www.schwarzenegger.US

Originally posted by Tee
Yeah and that guy is like strong too. He could take you to court and then beat you up. I don't know. This is a hard one.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hang on a minute i own usalawattorney.com & uslawattorney.com.
& something else in a .info i forgot ... darn.
And i am dropping them.

F

firstPerson

but the one I've is a dotUS domain - a source of american pride -and it is very much american
|| www.USAattorney.US || - An American Attorney in US

I suggest u hold on to your domains -

www.usaattorney.com is on sale for $10000 - so hang on

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well mine are much cheaper.

LOTS cheaper :)

M

mike

Wow! You might think about changing your name. At the very least, you better run and hide. The Terminator is coming to get you. His mission is to do whatever it takes to bring you in alive, so that Jack Valenti can yell at you while the Actors Guild lawyers pick you up and shake you by the ankles.

Take my advice.

Stop registering famous entity names or

I'LL BE BAAAAAAAAAACK!

Astalavista, Baby!

F

firstPerson

For all those ..who can still read my words properly...

If you can re-read my question at the top, I've just wanted to know how strong these domains will be..in the sense of POPULARITY and NOT $$$..

thanks,
-firstPerson

Hi,

this is my first posting. I´m coming from Austria, and perhaps you know Arnold comes also from Austria. So in Austria Arnold Schwarzenegger is VERY populare but I guess he is very popular worldwide too. Good name. I hope you will not get troubles with this name.

Harry

Its called personality rights squatting, registering a domain to trade on the good name of a famous individual.

WIPO want the UDRP extended to cover this (and some panelists have acted as though its already covered).

valuewise i'd say <$100 if you can find someone naive or who doesn't care about losing them/incurring legal costs.

type in wise, they are .us's so thats not going to be a strong point either.

maybe next time you could put effort into registering domains that have intrinsic value rather than looking for profit from the goodwill of an individual who has worked hard to make a name for himself?

Originally posted by firstPerson
but what the heck, it's not a TRADEMARKED name..there could be any person in this world who is a schwarzenegger and that schwarzenegger can be arnold also ? so, what's the big deal ?

Hi firstPerson:

Actually, it is trademarked. Arnold Scharenegger has two related trademarks, "Schwarzenegger.com" and "The Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic." Check the USPTO database. (And always check before regging.)

Even without these registered marks, Arnold's lawyers would probably have a good chance of getting this domain through the UDRP, if not the ACPA (which specifically addresses the issues of squatting on famous names, and has some pretty fierce teeth--$100,000 max fines + court costs).

With the regged marks I noted above, Arnold's legal case is even stronger. In my opinion, your domain is a serious liability, which, depending on what you do with it, could end up costing you money, not making it.

Miles

F

firstPerson

Hello NameThink,

Thanks a ton for the important piece of information. Agreed that Schwarzenegger and ArnoldSchwarzenegger as well as the com/net/org variants of it are owned by him.

But does that mean every top level domain with the above names on this planet earth have to be owned by Arnie. So tomorrow if there is a tld .earth, does it mean Arnold will be the only eligible claimer ?

well may be or may be not !!! :confused: I do not have a clue.

But one thing, I think there is an italian site www.schwarzenegger.it and it is not owned by Arnold. So why cannot I do a similar thing...

..and most importantly why should Arnold or his attorneys be bothered if www.Schwarzenegger.US is going to be a site devoted to himself. He infact should be :cool: cool about it.

What do you say Arnie ?

Thanks.
-firstPerson

Originally posted by firstPerson
Hello NameThink,

Thanks a ton for the important piece of information. Agreed that Schwarzenegger and ArnoldSchwarzenegger as well as the com/net/org variants of it are owned by him.

But does that mean every top level domain with the above names on this planet earth have to be owned by Arnie. So tomorrow if there is a tld .earth, does it mean Arnold will be the only eligible claimer ?

well may be or may be not !!! :confused: I do not have a clue.

But one thing, I think there is an italian site www.schwarzenegger.it and it is not owned by Arnold. So why cannot I do a similar thing...

..and most importantly why should Arnold or his attorneys be bothered if www.Schwarzenegger.US is going to be a site devoted to himself. He infact should be :cool: cool about it.

What do you say Arnie ?

Thanks.
-firstPerson

Hi firstPerson:

Protecting Intellectual Property rights is a complex issue, which get even more complex--not to mention cloudy and controversial--when it comes to domain names.

One of the tenets of TM rights is the vigilant protection of mark. In other words, your rights to a mark (and keep in mind that brand can be worth millions) is partly associated with how vigilantly you protect your mark. For example, if "Yahoo" did not protect infringements on its mark (the use of Yahoo that potentially or actually treads on Yahoo's brand) with agressive legal action, that lack of action can be a detriment in future court decisions on TM infringement. Sort of a legal "use it or lose it" with regards to protecting your TM legal rights.

Schwarzenegger (or, rather, his lawyers and business managers) may allow you to use this as a fan site, and they may not. It depends on a lot of things, including their own internal policy in such matters.

As for a legal case, that's were it gets complex. Fair use covers a lot of ground, but legal decisions in this area aren't always consistent, particularly with the UDRP, which is notorious for conflicting arbitration decisions.

Personally, unless you're a big Arnie fan, I wouldn't try to develop/sell this domain. This risks run from just losing your domain to substantial costs arising from having to defend yourself in court, and the bank-breaking fines allowed under the U.S. Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.

I'd think it over. And I also recommend you do some research in this area.

Miles

F

firstPerson

Thanks again Miles. But how does www.schwarzenegger.it exist ?
...there could even be more un-official sites that Iam not aware of out there in this cyber jungle...how does one explain their existence.

I think unless these sites are used for some detrimental work (like pamela.com or pamelaanderson.com) neither UDRP, ACPA or WIPO should object...

...and ofcourse Iam one of the million fans of Arnie out there...more over apart from just limiting this to Arnolds' fans web site, I'd like to see it as a website that would inspire and create some more Arnolds...

-firstPerson

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If i were you FirstPerson i would.

TERMINATE it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom