Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Basic SEO question - willing to pay good money for consultation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

atwest

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am leasing a domain name to a company. The domain name currently receives about 300 unique type-in visitors per day, but the majority of traffic (79%) has consistently come from Google.ca for the past 3-5 years.

The website is a very simple, single page html site containing about a couple hundred links to other websites.

The leasee would like to use the domain name by pointing the name to a subdomain within the site, but naturally would like to keep as much traffic as possible, and so I am wondering what the best way to go about this might be.

They don't want to use the web page as is (ie, links to other websites), but they also would like to maintain the traffic as much as possible.

So to be clear: they own widgets.ca and I own bluewidgets.ca. They would like to use my domain by pointing it to blue.widgets.ca

I'm thinking a 301 redirect would be a good place to start.

If you're very good at Search Engine Optimization, and are willing to provide some examples of your current work, I would be willing to pay decent money for your consultation in this matter. If this describes you and is of interest to you, would you please contact me via private message and I'll get back to you asap?

Thanks!

-Atwest

Domain Summit 2024

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they want semi-exclusive or exclusive sponsorship to me.

That carries a premium increase in leasing fees.

You will need to work that out with new terms.

No, it is not you changing the terms because you have not changed anything yet.

They, the company, are the ones requesting a change in terms.

You are going to have to factor in the lose in revenue (on a per month basis) by removing the domains.

A couple of things to consider: Are you into any other type of agreement with the advertisers on your landing page? If so, you don't want to be the one to break the lease.

To remove all the other ads, I would minimally charge a 1.5x premium. In other words, if their agreement was for $500 per month, look to increase to $750 month.

Other avenues are to develop a strategy of a pay-per-lead basis. You may be leasing this space out way too cheap. And it sounds like you are supplying them with a great deal of leads and traffic. That traffic has a great deal of value to you as well as the company.

To get a better idea of how to go about a pay-per-lead basis, I would study this thread very carefully:

http://www.dnforum.com/f627/you-want-make-some-read-thread-465355.html

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well yeah, 301 redirecting should help get all your traffic coming from the main url (like bluewidgets.ca) to their inner page, but have you thought about the traffic from other links (like bluewidgets.ca/example-page/) ??

atwest

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your replies.

Doc Com: What they want is to simply lease the domain name. No discussion of revenues are needed, since I am currently only using Google Ads and the leasing arrangement with the new company will be worth more than what I am making right now.

Loudbeats.com: The website has only has a single html page on it, so there are no other pages to worry about. You're right, this would be a consideration if I had multiple pages.

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just make sure there were no other links attached to this one page site of yours. Were you the original registrant of this name?
Another thing you can do is get into your cpanel and check traffic stats for traffic sources (where traffic is coming from) & referrers (what links throw traffic on your site) to confirm.

Hope this helps!

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@atwest if this is a lease I am assuming it is a temporary redirection, correct? If this is the case, a 302 (temporary redirect) might be better versus a 301 (permanent redirect)?

atwest

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hmm... something worth considering, especially if I regain use of the name at a future time. Thanks!

James-A

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When it comes to search engine optimization, you can get the best of results by being consistent with the SEO strategy implementation. Focus must be on getting quality backlinks for getting advantage in terms of keyword rankings and incoming traffic to the website. Submitting informative content is also equally important.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When it comes to search engine optimization, you can get the best of results by being consistent with the SEO strategy implementation. Focus must be on getting quality backlinks for getting advantage in terms of keyword rankings and incoming traffic to the website. Submitting informative content is also equally important.

Are you a bot?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Must be a slow bot. Member since 2006, 24 posts, responding to a year+ old thread...yup, a slow bot. Still on dial-up in the UK.

He's also giving advice from 2006.

Focus must be on getting quality backlinks for getting advantage in terms of keyword rankings and incoming traffic to the website.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a Pre-Penguin bot LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom