Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Being reasonable about the amount of threads and bumps in the marketplace section

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I believe there isn't currently any restriction about how many threads can be created and how often they can be bumped in the "marketplace" section, which is GREAT! But it should be to US (everybody) to stay reasonable and not abuse that freedom and possibility.

I feel (only my own opinion) maybe we could create ONE thread with several names when we have many to sell we want to talk about.
And not create one thread for each name, which takes a lot of space in the list and when we go in "what's new".
You can still publish as many details you want inside your post.

( @CupidName.com : Sorry dude, but I'm thinking about you. I get you may want all the info to appear directly in the titles, but it does fill "what's new" for everybody every time you bump all your threads. Make one great title people will want to click and put all the info inside your thread. Don't you think? )

Upvote 1

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
I totaly agree, it reminds me of a FB Domain Names group.
Maybe domain sales topics can be separated somehow from the What's New (Activity) page and if possible to add on What's New page some separated link, eg Domain Market somwhere between New Posts, New Resources etc.

Domain summit 2024

shahed_sajid

Level 4
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I believe there isn't currently any restriction about how many threads can be created and how often they can be bumped in the "marketplace" section, which is GREAT!
Hi,
Actually, there are some restrictions: 2 and 4 threads per 12 hours (Differentiated by membership status) and one Bump every 12 hours.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Actually, there are some restrictions: 2 and 4 threads per 12 hours (Differentiated by membership status) and one Bump every 12 hours.
Oh, I didn't know (and I never ran into them, on my side. Never tried to, either).
The guy just bumped 18 threads, which he does regularly (maybe every 12 hours, yes).
And you can bump as many threads as exist? Or is it one membership status which does allow at least 18 bumps?
It directly fills your "what's new", which I find a little unfortunate, especially if several people start to do this kind of things.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The updated software, pending a rollout soon, fixes a lot of the marketplace issues addressed and even gives one more control over their listings.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Now, on my side, I only see threads from 2013 and older in the marketplace sections "Fixed" and "Offers".
Is this the update being installed which causes this, maybe? Or another problem?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now, on my side, I only see threads from 2013 and older in the marketplace sections "Fixed" and "Offers".
Is this the update being installed which causes this, maybe? Or another problem?
Thank you for reporting that issue. It's been disabled and is underway for fixing. :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I believe there isn't currently any restriction about how many threads can be created and how often they can be bumped in the "marketplace" section, which is GREAT! But it should be to US (everybody) to stay reasonable and not abuse that freedom and possibility.

I feel (only my own opinion) maybe we could create ONE thread with several names when we have many to sell we want to talk about.
And not create one thread for each name, which takes a lot of space in the list and when we go in "what's new".
You can still publish as many details you want inside your post.

( @CupidName.com : Sorry dude, but I'm thinking about you. I get you may want all the info to appear directly in the titles, but it does fill "what's new" for everybody every time you bump all your threads. Make one great title people will want to click and put all the info inside your thread. Don't you think? )
Hi

though i understand your anxiety, it is well within the respective posting privilege's of that membership level.

you have to understand that "he" paid for his membership and as such, can bump any of his active threads, as long as each fall within the rules.

if, you have issue with what you see in "New Posts" view, then you and others can create threads in different sections or respond to previous threads that are still open, provided they are not old domains wanted threads or old sales threads.
then those posts will rise to the top as others fall down the que.

it's all about activity, and active members threads and replies tend to show up, in "New Posts".

imo....

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bumping for everyone is now set at 24 hours so this should prevent some of it.
1632840123990.png
Account limitations will fix the rest. :)

This is just a sneak peak at an addition to the marketplace to ease manual moderation enforcing it. We haven't made an announcement of all the features yet, but this one has been enabled as of now.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
you and others can create threads in different sections or respond to previous threads that are still open, provided they are not old domains wanted threads or old sales threads.

it's all about activity, and active members threads and replies tend to show up, in "New Posts".
This is NOT my point at all.
When I come to the forum, I go in the "What's new" section at the top of the screen (in the black menu). This way, I directly have a view of all the new posts. With what the guy is doing (even if it's his "right" to do so), I (and everybody else) have a big block of 18 pretty identical lines appearing every 12 hours in this section.

I don't think it's really superior to have 18 lines saying
"xyz.abc - xy Year Old Domain Name Live Auction - NO RESERVE!"
rather than 1 or a few saying
"ab-xy Year Old Domain Name Live Auction - NO RESERVE!: xyz.abc, xyz.abc, xyz.abc, xyz.abc, xyz.abc, xyz.abc, xyz.abc, xyz.abc... (and others)"

Maybe even change the title of the thread regularly. Make people want to click it to know what it says. Here, you have 18 different threads to click. I assume because his goal is to have the info directly appear in the title. But it's still 18 pretty identical titles appearing in the "what's new" section at each bump. The problem is that there are 18 lines NOT bringing any useful information compared to just 1 line.

My point is that I do think it would actually be SUPERIOR for him to do that way (a 1 line way), and it would be better for everybody in term of USABILITY. It's NOT a question of "jealousy" or wanting MY threads to be more visible, or something like that. The point was: It's annoying for users and it's NOT better this way for him, IMHO.

Anyway, it was only a suggestion, and only my own opinion.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
A short version may be: Why not regroup several names with pretty identical characteristics in a single thread if you intend to bump them all at the same time? What is the use of NOT doing it? (except being annoying because you bump big "walls" of xx threads). You can still mention all the names in the title.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry but it looks like spam. :D
View attachment 5376

I agree, that is too much and I simply set that member to ignore and the topics disappeared from view. It is not that I think his domains are bad, it is just too much in one day and I think a 3 daily topic rule for the market place should be instated. The member could also open up a single topic and advertise more than one domain and the google indexing should be just as good.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
This is crazy. I come here to read and see CupidName.com with like 20+ bumps a day. What are the rules on this?

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi

though i understand your anxiety, it is well within the respective posting privilege's of that membership level.

you have to understand that "he" paid for his membership and as such, can bump any of his active threads, as long as each fall within the rules.

if, you have issue with what you see in "New Posts" view, then you and others can create threads in different sections or respond to previous threads that are still open, provided they are not old domains wanted threads or old sales threads.

imo....

Simply hit ignore for that member and all those listings go away.

That is what I do when I get a member that floods the board and I don't want to see it.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Simply hit ignore for that member and all those listings go away.
I never liked this approach as you will never see if they contribute something useful elsewhere, at least not at first.

Instead, as we went in a direction of "community ownership", I felt like you should be able to own your experience while here on DNForum. In doing so, you have the option to ignore a user completely, like everywhere, of course. However, you never had control over everything you see.

With Epik's help, now, you do!

Hide a thread. Hide an entire forum. Own your experience.

I bet you'll want this feature on all forums you are a part of after this now too.

Practice link: https://www.dnforum.com/threads/hideme-com.600097/

You all just can't be patient enough for me to roll these features out and make one nice tidy announcement. I feel like I'm babysitting a bunch of children! 😆

#BeEpik #DNForum

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
I looked in the forum where the guy lit it up with 30 posts in a row, it says:

"You may post domain names and websites for auction here, please read the rules in this forum before posting. Limit: 2 threads for Platinum members and 4 threads for Diamond members per 12 hours."

2 or 4 per 12 hours based on what type of member they are. So 30 is just out of the water. Then, I think you're doing away with levels?

I think you'll find without rules and anything goes, you'll end up with what you're seeing now. With rules, people understand what's acceptable. It's really up to you if you want a free for all.

One of the reasons for the big drop when Dicker owned the place is because it looked like nobody was at the wheel. Problems went on for months, things weren't getting handled. They finally hired that Irish dude and he was actually doing good work and handling things. But it was too little too late and this was when new gtlds were coming on the scene, so this place should have been jumping.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're getting way off topic now, @DapperJohn, and I see that you just want to prod at me mishandling something somewhere. I do not want to manually handle the threads for 7 days. I know you know this because you replied to my weekly update that informs users that there will be hard limits set by automation to alleviate bias in which threads a moderator should close to keep a member within restraints.
We will also have hard limits on threads. This means that members will be allotted X open sales threads (discuss this number below). Once a user is at this limit, they must lock an old thread if they want to post a new sales thread. Just a note: don't try to cheat the system by unlocking, bumping, and locking—we're two steps ahead of you and already thought about how to prevent that.
After seven days, when people are able to lock in signatures, the switch will be flipped.

Until then, I have given you the tools to ignore those threads, and not the person that posted them, by allowing you to experience the forum how you want to experience it now, and to hide those threads or even the entire sales forum.

Please stay on topic of struggle sessions... unless you are, and you are just trying to make this a difficult experience on me for what you have against Epik?

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
You're getting way off topic now, @DapperJohn, and I see that you just want to prod at me mishandling something somewhere. I do not want to manually handle the threads for 7 days. I know you know this because you replied to my weekly update that informs users that there will be hard limits set by automation to alleviate bias in which threads a moderator should close to keep a member within restraints.

After seven days, when people are able to lock in signatures, the switch will be flipped.

Until then, I have given you the tools to ignore those threads, and not the person that posted them, by allowing you to experience the forum how you want to experience it now, and to hide those threads or even the entire sales forum.

Please stay on topic of struggle sessions... unless you are, and you are just trying to make this a difficult experience on me for what you have against Epik?
Actually the opposite. I've giving you good advice that would make things easier.

"Treat others as you would like to be treated."

That's not a forum rule. Have you heard of give an inch, take a mile. You let people ramble off 30 posts in row, more will start doing that. They will take advantage of your lax enforcement and then soon this forum will just be a place where people come and drop links. It won't be a place Pros or even people that just want to discuss domaining will hang out at.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators