Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

best place to sell brandable domain names

Status
Not open for further replies.

charbz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have you guys ever heard of brandbucket ? great place to sell brandable domain names that usually dont include a keyword , such as "rebbix.com" , "roxolo.com" , "vivetto.com"

I was wondering if there are other places like brandbucket where people can sell brandable domains ? is this possible through traditional marketplaces like Sedo , and Afternic ? It seems like those marketplaces dont attract the kind of crowd that would be interested in brand names , but more keyword / geo related names ..

any thoughts ?

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
read the forum

these things have been discussed soooo many times

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is possible to sell them thru Sedo, SnapNames, Afternic (and even GD but there you'll get a lot of lowballs) and I've seen some, but it doesn't happen that often. Normally those sellers ask for really high prices. But it doesn't hurt listing them there, just place a min bid or min offer if you don't wanna have rookie domainers offering you $20. In fact, I even see TMd names listed on all sometimes, including holier-than-thou Sedo, they even sold me one lol ! and maybe more that I'm not yet aware of. I cannot tell if they just slipped through their advanced filters (they must have one for TMs) or if they just don't care about those getting listed

.....is this possible through traditional marketplaces like Sedo , and Afternic ? It seems like those marketplaces dont attract the kind of crowd that would be interested in brand names , but more keyword / geo related names .....any thoughts ?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The wrong way to do it: register random combinations of phonetically appealing domains, hoping someone will buy them.
The right way to do it: register domains after researching whether they would be a better alternative to existing brands, or a sidekick.

Otherwise, Goboloo.com is unregistered, slap text+clipart together and you have a brand. Not.

Aces

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The wrong way to do it: register random combinations of phonetically appealing domains, hoping someone will buy them.
The right way to do it: register domains after researching whether they would be a better alternative to existing brands, or a sidekick.

Otherwise, Goboloo.com is unregistered, slap text+clipart together and you have a brand. Not.

What in the tarnation are you talking about?? hahaha

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
What I am talking about is that domain branding requires careful examination of the market it tries to capitalize. Reminds me of the Knameit.com fiasco.

The odds of pulling a gem out of a bucket of coal are quite slim.

Aces

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What I am talking about is that domain branding requires careful examination of the market it tries to capitalize. Reminds me of the Knameit.com fiasco.

The odds of pulling a gem out of a bucket of coal are quite slim.

I'm telling you from experience, it is a very profitable business.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I'm telling you from experience, it is a very profitable business.

I'm sure it is, when you make 30% a pop for doing nothing much. What is the average sale of brands? How many thousands of dollars have (the best) name owners left on the table by using a third party venue in hopes of a sale?

Great for newbs though.

Aces

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it is, when you make 30% a pop for doing nothing much. What is the average sale of brands? How many thousands of dollars have (the best) name owners left on the table by using a third party venue in hopes of a sale?

Great for newbs though.

Actually about 99% of the domains on Brandroot belong to us. We are not setup yet to accept domain submissions.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Actually about 99% of the domains on Brandroot belong to us. We are not setup yet to accept domain submissions.

Then what are you commenting in this thread for? Obviously you don't have a solution for the op's request.

Aces

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Then what are you commenting in this thread for? Obviously you don't have a solution for the op's request.

While we aren't setup yet to accept submissions, we do review domains submitted to us through our contact form and take on domainers on a case by case basis. We have only 3 sellers with us now.

charbz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am speaking from experience, ive very catchy but random non-registered domain names before and sold them for xxxx , brandroots is looking good, but you should definetly start automating accepting sellers if you want to compete with other leading brand markets , like brandbucket and brand crowd

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are other places where people can sell brandable domains ? is this possible through traditional marketplaces like Sedo , and Afternic ? It seems like those marketplaces dont attract the kind of crowd that would be interested in brand names , but more keyword / geo related names ..

any thoughts ?

long before these "brand sellers" popped-up, brandables were, and still will, continue to be sold on places like sedo and afternic.

bb and others don't dominate the (brandable) market, they just got a grip on some domainers minds because they are relatively new and newbies like to talk about them.

don't think for a second, that places which have been in business more than 10 years, are only able to sell limited category of domain names.

imo....

charbz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well that gives me a lot of hope because brandbucket is extremely picky and my only hope is to sell these "lesser" brands on sedo somehow ..

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lately I have seen many domainers looking to BB and others as the new benchmark of domain value (along with estibot), and they equate approval with validation of their domain choices. But until the domain is sold, value is unproven and especially subjective with brandable domains.
Then if you are approved to the 'elite club', you have to pay a listing fee, possibly a logo, and then a hefty commission in case of a sale. Nice business model I tell you :)
This is not to knock down the marketplaces that are legitimate, but I see I that the domain industry is about selling dreams to dreamers lol.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lately I have seen many domainers looking to BB and others as the new benchmark of domain value (along with estibot), and they equate approval with validation of their domain choices.

Hey Kat

was just about to post something very similar.

as the rejection from such entities, can often result in one starting to question the value of their domain afterwards.

imo...

charbz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hmm .. interesting thought .. I did question the value of my domains after trying to sell on BB , but as of recently I recognized that this is all so subjective , especially after I sold ones that were rejected by BB on my own ! , the act of attaching a logo to your Brandable domain however seems to make it a lot more valuable in my opinion .. maybe I can take a personal venture , trying to sell my rejected domains on my own , by "pimping" them out with logos and website ideas .. does anyone have any experience with this ?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
maybe I can take a personal venture , trying to sell my rejected domains on my own , by "pimping" them out with logos and website ideas .. does anyone have any experience with this ?

I've been trying some of that on my own....check some of our signatures.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Of course the value of brandables is subjective and they are not liquid, but some domains are clearly more brandable than others. Random-unpronounceable-just-registered crap gets the 'brandable' label too often.
I think that the fundamentals of brandable domains are not really different than other domain names. With domains you either get it or you don't.
All I can say is, people expect too much from the marketplace... If your domains are good, end users will look them up and find you :)

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its almost impossible to come up with a consensus on a value for a brandable name - it would be like valuating a person prized possession (the value is in the eye of the beholder)

Also keep in mind, The definition of Brandable; is the potential for it be developed into a Brand

the real value is what they turn it into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom