Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.biz continues it's stead rises upward

Status
Not open for further replies.

the only comment i've made about new.net is to commend them on their ppc thing (quick!) - that's a great move for *them* commercially, but the registrants just get crumbs from the table in return. I still read the nn board on occasion and its pretty clear to me from reading it that nn are just following the dollars and registration volume does not seem to be an active part of that dollar generating process.

It does amaze me as to the lack of threads here about new.net.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It does amaze me as to the lack of threads here about new.net.

.NET is another MicroSoft innovation. With their latest AntiTrust lawsuit pending, I think a lot of people have lost their trust, or should I say lost interest, in MicroSoft's new innovations. If .NET was introduced 1-2 years ago, it would be already be a hysteria around it. I guess people have come to their senses - no innovation on the Web can be taken for granted. The market forces are the ones determining success from failures, not the innovation nor the inventor.

Thanks!

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dvdrip
Well the thing is that many people do not understand what a new extension is. They are used to the old ones.
I was just telling a friend of mine about the new gTLDs and while .info sounded totally normal, .biz made HER laugh.
I think she thought it sounded like a fly or a man sleeping.(the zzzz sound)
I own a couple of .biz (my webdesign company uses one) but it just made me think.

dvdrip,

I agree with your about .biz sounding a little amateurish. Biz is just an awful acronym.

BTW, saw your bluepixel site. Isn't registering .gr domains for parties not meeting nationality or citizenship requirements "illegal"???? I know the procedure fairly well, and the documents that have to be presented. How do you get around this little "complication".

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kvinsencius

.NET is another MicroSoft innovation. With their latest AntiTrust lawsuit pending, I think a lot of people have lost their trust, or should I say lost interest, in MicroSoft's new innovations. If .NET was introduced 1-2 years ago, it would be already be a hysteria around it. I guess people have come to their senses - no innovation on the Web can be taken for granted. The market forces are the ones determining success from failures, not the innovation nor the inventor.

Thanks!

No ones talking about the .Net development infrastructure ..... just the .net tld.

Tee: You MUST be joking in you are rating .us, .biz., .info over .net. They don't even register in the publics (... that would be your potential client or consumer) radar .....

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
kvin, i was referring to "new.net" - the company seeded by Idealab!

www.new.net

How much money has that "visionary" Bill Gross squandered on his IdeaLab creations ....

Ah, to look back at the fawning Business 2.0, Wired and Fast Company articles praising him not so long ago ... (sigh)

he did get it right with goto (now overture) though, and I suspect nn is stable now they're on the ppc train.

I wonder how the lawsuit against him will pan out?

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
he did get it right with goto (now overture) though, and I suspect nn is stable now they're on the ppc train.

I wonder how the lawsuit against him will pan out?

Well, it seems like he's made some powerful enemies, and with quotes like this ..

"Much of the investors' new complaint fleshes out previous allegations that portray Gross and his wife -- Idealab's president, Marcia Goodstein -- as irresponsible executives looting the company to support a comfortable lifestyle."

... it seems like there is plenty of venom in the air. If you haven't read this article, its pretty interesting. Imagine a thinktank losing almost $1 Billion dollars last year ... WOW!

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/business/technology/3767100.htm

T

Tee

I like .net, I have lots of them. Its just such a bland extension. Its good for isps and networks - kinda limited like .tv.

I don't recall too many high profile sales with .net. I don't see many ads using the .net inspite of microsofts .net initiative and inspite of .nets long existence.

It does work for isp's. I use att.net.

Its just to nerdy to get generally popular imo.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
kvin, i was referring to "new.net" - the company seeded by Idealab!

Gottcha Safesys! My bad! At least you have my view on the .NET technology. Maybe it was the wrong thread for it :)

T

Tee

I think the lack of New.net discussion here is mainly due to the fact that the names generally seem to have little resale value and that there haven't been many high resales to point at. People are busy here with the triple threat of .info, .biz and .us.

I think New.net is a good system as far as alternative domain name systems go. Definitely the king of alternative naming systems.You just can't do it better than them (unless you are Icann) however they really should release data so people can get an idea of how successful and profitable they are. I believe that can help people decide whether to renew or not. I dropped about I believe 50% of my names - I got carried away registering initially as I usually do. I've kept only what I will probably use in some form in the future. I've resold some names and so have others.

If you are smart, and have New.net names, you will make a site or forward the name to a relevant affiliate program or page with text links and submit it to quick!. This way you can make some money from your names with the traffic.

New.net is also a very controversial subject. With New.net, you have speculators who look at it as diluting the namespace and threatening the worth of the extensions and names they have now. So, these people are against any new extensions. From .com on down. .Commers don't like new tlds because as they say, why do we need them? You can make salmonandeggsandcoffee4mydog.com. They don't want competition and dilution of value - value of their names. Similarly, this happens down the line where people, after getting .biz and info names, now don't want any new extensions, even though they may have been for the principle of new extensions, because now they don't want their extensions devalued by more dilution and less spotlight.

So New.net represents imo the ultimate extensions grab basket which will probably grow (more extensions) and people feel threatened by it, which I can understand. Its not very speculator friendly. And there are issue with the use of the names and some have questioned the method of delivery of plugins and such.

So I think its pretty controversial with some very outspoken opponents which can make for some pretty nasty and mean arguing. I say, if it makes you money, use it. I like to dabble with many different extensions.

But I prefer .info.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz

LOL. That's it DB, you've unearthed my repressed psycological resentment towards phonetic similarity :) You're in the wrong profession, you could be one of those dudes with a couch in his office...and I don't mean a movie producer :)

ahhh, yes... ze "edifiz complex"... das is not too bad, mein freund :D

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually it is illegal.
Well it is not illegal actually. You just have to have a Greek ID! :razz:
I guess I haven't made it clear.
Well I could register under my companys name for someone.
If they trust me.

Originally posted by NameBox

dvdrip,

I agree with your about .biz sounding a little amateurish. Biz is just an awful acronym.

BTW, saw your bluepixel site. Isn't registering .gr domains for parties not meeting nationality or citizenship requirements "illegal"???? I know the procedure fairly well, and the documents that have to be presented. How do you get around this little "complication".

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dvdrip
Actually it is illegal.
Well it is not illegal actually. You just have to have a Greek ID! :razz:
I guess I haven't made it clear.
Well I could register under my companys name for someone.
If they trust me.

Hi dvdrip,

Thought that there was a bit of a problem :) . BTW, is there any .gr "aftermarket". Seems that a HUGE percentage of .gr registrations are sitting unused. Seems difficult to contact registrants as well.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know if you have checked www.gr lately.
They have redesigned it.
The whois shows all the information of the registrar unless they don't wish for their details to be shown. You have the option when you register for one .gr.
Also the email is a photograph so it makes it difficult for spiders.
Check it out.
I really don't know about .gr sales.
I'll find out and let you know.

Originally posted by NameBox

Hi dvdrip,

Thought that there was a bit of a problem :) . BTW, is there any .gr "aftermarket". Seems that a HUGE percentage of .gr registrations are sitting unused. Seems difficult to contact registrants as well.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure, .biz takes getting used to as an internet address. Nonetheless, .biz adverse advocates choose to ignore the fact that it's been used for years in business lingo. I've noticed the term being used more often today in business literature than ever before, extension or no extension.

Funny how perceptions change, .com sounded really stupid and geekish pre-1995, became a darling child of SuperBowl commercials 97-99, and today looks like .con through the shattered lenses of many VCs.

Till today, .org still looks like some obscene organ to me. But just because people see the URL being promoted on TV spots for some charitable work, they think wow, its cool.

From a URL perspective, .net makes the most sense, when one thinks of the internet.

It's amazing how short people's memories are - the WWW is a history of fads and trends, where buzz is just as important as beat, but funny how people equate .com's temporal worth to gold or silver, completely forgeting that .com came into mainstream consciousness post-1995, a baby of a perception at best.

.biz will grow, just like .info irregardless of whether it sounds like a .con. The laggards of namespace are those who chose not to see beyond their own noses for fear of the unknown. And it will be these very same laggards, who wonder why they are always stuck in such a pathetic rut.

And oh, have you heard my Granny pronounce .com? :laugh:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Sure, .biz takes getting used to as an internet address. Nonetheless, .biz adverse advocates choose to ignore the fact that it's been used for years in business lingo.

Yup. In the US the term "biz" has skyrocketed in use over the last couple of years.

Btw: I plan a major advertising campaign of my dot biz's in the next year. You can bet others will too. Afterall, you don't do well as a business IF you do not advertise. Right?

izopod

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom