Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed BodyLanguage.com Appraisals Wanted

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm going to print out and frame your post Adam ;)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are definitely not clueless, your appraisal was right in line with current offer.... and it's good to be optimistic. -=DCG=-

Jilo had said " My valuation of mid xx,xxx"

IMO, you should take a mid xx,xxx offer without hesitatiion Adam.

IMO, the name is worth just a fraction of that and is little doubt tough to monetize as witnessed by a lack of advertsing money with only 4 sponsored listings for the term.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After reading the first few posts, but before getting to Adam's post about his offer, I was going to say I could see this in a DNJournal report going for $50,000.

I can't see the obvious commercial use for the name, other than everyone knows the term 'body language', and it could be branded into some kind of use for fashion, entertainment, fitness, etc. There was a tv show recently that featured an english guy who solved cases by looking at photos or videos of people's body language, can't remember the name.

It could also be the title of a blog that would have entries of photos/videos with related to celebrity/sports stars body language in certain situations.

I think a mid xx,xxx could be considered a good end user sale for this domain - SELL!

Did they make just one offer, or have you been in negotiation for it?

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

This might be a good example of a sale where the buyer just wants this term in .com because it suits their business, and doesn't care about the traffic or how many ads it has in a Google search.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Most people underestimate the power of a good-to great name. This is not just some brandable name that someone can make into anything........like Google originally was. From now until the end of time there will be fashion companies being started on a daily basis, and a number of them get started with serious money. I can hardly think of a stronger available name to brand a company with than Body Language. That would be strong branding.

The name is not useless, like one poster said. There are numerous potential buyers out there who, if made aware of this name, would build their business around it. That being said, a mid XX,XXX offer that Adam said he received is enough to take it seriously. Maybe not take it and run, but maybe take it after trying to get at least an extra 20K or so in negotiations. What most people don't understand is that when there is a legitimate offer of 50K for a name, it is very rare that you will offend the buyer so much by countering with a higher number that they will run away. If someone really wants it for 50K, then they probably want it for 60K. It is only with garbage names that aren't backed by any real value that people should ever consider accepting the first offer. More money is left on the table than any of you can imagine. For good to great names, it is the sellers obligation and domaner's moral duty to not give the name away without a good-faith negotiation, even if the first offer is more than he/she would have sold it for.

My appraisal was somehwere in the XX, XXX range because I would pay 10K for it. So, it can never be worth less than what I would pay for it. Good name.....good offer.......good luck with the sale. If you sell I don't think you will ever have seller's remorse, since it is not that the type of name that will come back and haunt you, even if the buyer uses it as part of a huge enterprise going forward.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is becoming quite a humorous (and revealing - oo la la) thread.

The name stands on its own merits as a commonly used expression (how common - I don't know). But I do know the studying of body language is big and has been big in certain niches for quite sometime. It has psychological, sociological, psycho-social applications as well as applications in the marketing arena. Many marketers study body language in test subjects and blind studies to determine the likability or reactions to products or even "services".

That whole notion and term of body lanquage, what it means, its relevancy in marketing products or service and the response that a product or service elicits - this is a specialized study that is decades old. Even if the new user would start their own brand, say its a jean or fashion company - if they called the product Body Language, the entire demographic is familiar with the term even though the term would elicit a different kind of response in every person because that is what body language is all about - how you interpret someone else movements or mannerisms.

From a domainers perspective, running to the computer to see how much traffic or ad buying is going on - do you think if you have a real end user that they are going to be familiar with a domainer's world? Hell no. A lab or PR or marketing group or consortium of higher educational studies funded by government grants - none of those are going to be aware of Google adwords or what someone is willing to pay for an ad on my site. To the end user they are selecting a name that fits them and their needs. From a marketing and brandability point of view, whatever the end result is - a product, a study, a group of fashion moguls, a group of scientists - the end result is starting out with a name that is already branded into the psyche of the consumer and a name that is already recognizable immediately upon reading or hearing. In fact, a great way to start out an advertising campaign simply by grabbing the attention of the consumer and interesting that consumer to find out more.

This gets back to being one of those niche names that describes it's purpose and it's market very specifically and very precisely and very perfectly. Names like this are hard to valuate because even though the demand may not be there in terms of offers or advertisers, those that are in the business of studying body language - to them this names describes perfectly and accurately what they are all about, what they do and, sure enough, immediately brings to mind a connotation of sex or sex appeal and, guess what - sex sells!

I am not in the market for such a name but I can see the name fetching a hefty price because it describes their market perfectly and the name is already a branded name in society and the mere mention of it is going to elicit a response or interpretation.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Really? You can't think of a better name to brand a fashion company with?

From now until the end of time there will be fashion companies being started on a daily basis, and a number of them get started with serious money. I can hardly think of a stronger available name to brand a company with than Body Language. That would be strong branding.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This is becoming quite a humorous (and revealing - oo la la) thread.

The name stands on its own merits as a commonly used expression (how common - I don't know). But I do know the studying of body language is big and has been big in certain niches for quite sometime. It has psychological, sociological, psycho-social applications as well as applications in the marketing arena. Many marketers study body language in test subjects and blind studies to determine the likability or reactions to products or even "services".

That whole notion and term of body lanquage, what it means, its relevancy in marketing products or service and the response that a product or service elicits - this is a specialized study that is decades old. Even if the new user would start their own brand, say its a jean or fashion company - if they called the product Body Language, the entire demographic is familiar with the term even though the term would elicit a different kind of response in every person because that is what body language is all about - how you interpret someone else movements or mannerisms.

From a domainers perspective, running to the computer to see how much traffic or ad buying is going on - do you think if you have a real end user that they are going to be familiar with a domainer's world? Hell no. A lab or PR or marketing group or consortium of higher educational studies funded by government grants - none of those are going to be aware of Google adwords or what someone is willing to pay for an ad on my site. To the end user they are selecting a name that fits them and their needs. From a marketing and brandability point of view, whatever the end result is - a product, a study, a group of fashion moguls, a group of scientists - the end result is starting out with a name that is already branded into the psyche of the consumer and a name that is already recognizable immediately upon reading or hearing. In fact, a great way to start out an advertising campaign simply by grabbing the attention of the consumer and interesting that consumer to find out more.

This gets back to being one of those niche names that describes it's purpose and it's market very specifically and very precisely and very perfectly. Names like this are hard to valuate because even though the demand may not be there in terms of offers or advertisers, those that are in the business of studying body language - to them this names describes perfectly and accurately what they are all about, what they do and, sure enough, immediately brings to mind a connotation of sex or sex appeal and, guess what - sex sells!

I am not in the market for such a name but I can see the name fetching a hefty price because it describes their market perfectly and the name is already a branded name in society and the mere mention of it is going to elicit a response or interpretation.

Sharp post. The name is strong.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Really? You can't think of a better name to brand a fashion company with?

Ok....let's play a game and see who is right. I will give you 24 hours to come up with a better name that can be had for XX,XXX that would work better if I was starting a fashion company from scratch tomorrow. I couldn't think of one off the top of my head because it is quite hard to go through the English language when writing a post at Dn Forum.

Let's see how well you can do in 24 hours. I bet you couldn't find a better name in a month that could be had for less than XX,XXX. I am not lazy with words and I don't throw around statements without backing them up with reasoning. If you can find a better name for less then I will give you credit for your statement. If not, then your statement is not credible, since it implies that you have a name in your mind right now that you think is better, and can be had for less than XX,XXX. Now let's see what you got.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, the truth now...

Reseller: $XXXX
End user $XXXXX?

The fact is the name has no reason at all to be more than $XXXX to any of us, the up side is an end user is well.. an end user and should ultimately see greater value. That is what this game is all about, holding patiently and seeing a good return, one you wouldn't see on a flip to another reseller is something to smile about.

Congrats Adam, take the money and run :)

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hardly anything I can add, especially since Adam was kind enough to throw in a parameter (otherwise known as an offer). Yet, I'm surprise that most see the term restricted to either it's literal meaning or to fashion. Even in it's literal meaning, there's an entire section of the self-improvement industry built around projecting the right image through body language.

There's perfume (OK, a bit fashiony). What about devices that are controlled by our body movements, hands-free computing, a new methodology for learning foreign languages - or any language course, a new peer-to-peer sex technology complete with hydraulic rubber suits, a line of health foods or health related products, a new communication technology, a chain of health spas or sports clubs, a skin care product, massage chairs... I'm getting tired.

All that said, I would think it's a long wait between good offers on such a name, and I would take 15K and run - if it were me.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, the context has to be a name that is available to acquire for a fashion site, doesn't it? No big deal. I happen to like the name because it has a number of potential areas it can go. I focused on fashion because that seemed to be the most likely way he could monetize it.....that is before he mentioned he had an offer.

I appraised at XX,XXX because I would pay 10K that for it now. So that sets the bar. So, anyone else who suggests a lower value is by definition wrong as far as that goes. There are countless names I have appraised at being worth zero or close to it. My low (and zero) appraisals are wrong the moment a real money buyer appears with a higher offer, not the moment someone suggests that a real money buyer could appear.

Suppose I could offer you a date with the world's most famous supermodel? How much is that date worth if I put it on the market? If one person says he would never pay anything for a date with anyone, that is not a good appraisal for what that date is worth. If it is known that there are plenty of people in the world would pay 50K for that date then that sets the bar, even if most people would not pay that high an amount. Because it is a date with a supermodel, the upside could be a crazy good number, but the minimum it can be is the amount you could get if you had to sell the rights to the date right now. This isn't a supermodel-type name, but it is a very good name, and the analogy holds.

This is my last post regarding this name. Good luck to everyone.

Since I don't have the time I will give it to you - you did say "available name" after all.

But we still don't know the actual offer price.

Last edited:

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's a mainstream popular term with salable products, dating tips, job search, getting promoted, conflict resolution, being popular, etc. etc.

High end domain but as the naysayers have pointed out, it would take a lot of investment to make it work.

Personally I would keep unless something better in that price range came along.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow the amount of excuses posted here why this and why that makes me laugh out loud. i could use all your arguments/comments with a reg fee domain name!
Yes, I guess you could, if that reg fee name was an extremely well known, highly memorable, "hot"-sounding 2-word phrase (in .com) that was very natural for (and in fact already trademarked for) a variety of product lines.

T

tekz999

I would sell for that mid $xx,xxx offer without hesitation, and live without regrets.

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wow the amount of excuses posted here why this and why that makes me laugh out loud. i could use all your arguments/comments with a reg fee domain name!

Like BodyGesture.com ? About 69,300 results (0.20 seconds)

BodyLanguage.com About 4,420,000 results (0.21 seconds)

It's an excellent well known salable information-product. Certainly well above last weeks sales in mid $xx,xxx range

3. Wuye.com $43,500 Sedo
4. BornRich.com $38,000 Sedo
5. Like.me $26,500 Sedo

BodyLanguage.com ticks every box, a very interesting field to many and a term known by 90% of the population.

It's very suitable for advertising in numerous fields, "HOW TO READ CHICKS", "MAKE FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE", "IMPRESS YOUR BOSS", ...

You just can't see the dollars because it doesn't have DOLLARS.COM written all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators