Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Bought the matching .ca for 5k

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been involved with the sale of a particular product line for my online store for a number of years now.
For those of you that don't know, I run a few online stores and they are getting bigger and bigger with my highest volume store now approaching two million in annual sales.

The store has a number of product lines but there is one I am heavily involved with and I decided to check and see if I could purchase the .ca to target traffic.

The product has a 4 word name and I decided to buy the first word .ca which is the most recognizable part of the brand name.

Going online I saw the domain.ca was no longer in use but used to be a viable website.

I used the CIRA contact form to contact the owner and made an offer for 5k, the owner of the domain contacted me the next day and said the offer was reasonable and we have a deal.

I sent him one email transfer for 3k, he sent me the transfer code and the next day I sent the final 2k.

Smooth as butter

Lesson here....

Make a fair offer and you will be treated fairly in return.

PS. Now I forward the one word .ca to that specific product line on the online store, it has increased traffic exponentially.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY OF MY DOMAIN NAMES UNLESS I MENTION THEM FIRST

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

nafti

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am aware of 1 or 2 of your stores. Congratulations on your success @MapleDots.

I believe getting the matching .ca is a great move. When I see .ca, I think Canadian right away. When I punch in a .com, anyone can own it. I believe that it’s important to own the .ca if you’re in Canada or run a business in Canada.

With dealing with you in the past, I’m sure you’re 5K was more than fair offer. A lot of “domainers” would counter your 5K and then possibly risk losing a sale. When I receive a fair offer, I accept. Sometimes greed doesn’t get you far. I know some of us are told to always counter and that works in a lot of cases but I like to do what’s best for the buyer and seller.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom