Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

brandable criteria of domain

Dan73

Level 2
Reaction score
Hello,
Dear members of the forums write important tips about choosing domain names. one of them is it should be brandable.
Taking an example of the domain name Hireonman.com (not registered. just a name I invented few minutes ago). The name has a connection to human resource (hire+on+man) or can serve as a website for searching senior workers (when man is the short of manager), plus sounds like ironman which are a very common pair of words. does it mean to be brandable?
Thanks in advance

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no, it ain't brandable

it doesn't translate visually or as explained, to be a useable domain for that purpose.

imo….

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i'm sure you can think of some answers to that question

imo...

Dan73

Level 2
Reaction score
I meant ofcourse to an existing domain. For example Tripadvisor or privatejet are good brandable?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tripadvisor brandable, because they could tm it

privatejet, not so much

imo….

werejack

Level 3
Reaction score
in tge first sentence,
should Domain name should be Brand able???
in my opinion,
not always. If the domain is being used for search engine optimization it isnt biggest priority... It can always be made to point to the elegant, polished, brandable domain.
So as example assuming keyword matching is one of the SEO techniques used them say, shoeonlinestore.com can redirect to Footbase.com...

As I said, in my opinion....

werejack

Level 3
Reaction score
Hello,
Dear members of the forums write important tips about choosing domain names. one of them is it should be brandable.
Taking an example of the domain name Hireonman.com (not registered. just a name I invented few minutes ago). The name has a connection to human resource (hire+on+man) or can serve as a website for searching senior workers (when man is the short of manager), plus sounds like ironman which are a very common pair of words. does it mean to be brandable?
Thanks in advance
On the other part of the question, what to look out for when getting a brandable name...
As one of our seasoned domainers on tgis forum said, brandable is a meaningless term applied to bad domains. i mean OUCH. That one still hurts as my focus is on brandables... But I digress, brandable is too subjective so names like Amazon, Facebook, Rolex, Samsung only work because of marketing and a quality product was consistently provided and after a time customers associate a brand with that service or product.
Hireonman.com is a bad name for domain reselling even as a brandable.
Now a combination of two short, proper english words that have compatible sylabbles and where possible compatible or complimentary meaning.. Then you have a winner.
Examples...
RedTime.com is two english words easy for any number of businesses to buy and build a brand around... Also note that the more popular the words used in day-to-day activities then the higher the potential value.
OzoTime.com I short BUT ozo is not an english word so... Lower potential value. It could sell, but probability is lower and price will also be lower.
certain words have wider appeal and are elegant or just have a positive appeal...
Base
Mark
Park
Time
Book
Talk....

And then combined with the niche you are looking at or some other compatible word...
Sky
Snow
Be
Tree
One etc.

As a general rule, the more general the two words, the greater the nunber of businesses that can form a brand around it... Eg RedMark.com, RedBase.com can be used by numerous businesses, words are compatible and have widespread use by various users.
But as you use more complicated words harder to type or without widespread appeal then it becomes less and less attractive.
PlutoBase.com, Guwobase.com, Zonobase.com have little or no value...
BUT one may argue that they saw zomato.com sell on brandbucket.com for $x,xxx... Well. That was one of the very few cyberspace users who liked the name, was willing to pay for it AND found it on brand bucket...
For now I would advise staying away from the vague, stylist domains to market on brandable domain marketplaces...
PS: the kind of names I mentioned above can still be found... I found one or two but they are HARD to find and need good judgment before one registered. If not, no worries, one can always beef up their wallet abd buy from the aftermarket at a slightly higher price but wholesale and still flip them later...

werejack

Level 3
Reaction score
On the other part of the question, what to look out for when getting a brandable name...
As one of our seasoned domainers on tgis forum said, brandable is a meaningless term applied to bad domains. i mean OUCH. That one still hurts as my focus is on brandables... But I digress, brandable is too subjective so names like Amazon, Facebook, Rolex, Samsung only work because of marketing and a quality product was consistently provided and after a time customers associate a brand with that service or product.
Now a combination of two short, proper english words that have compatible sylabbles and where possible compatible or complimentary meaning.. Then you have a winner.
Examples...
RedTime.com is two english words easy for any number of businesses to buy and build a brand around... Also note that the more popular the words used in day-to-day activities then the higher the potential value.
OzoTime.com I short BUT ozo is not an english word so... Lower potential value. It could sell, but probability is lower and price will also be lower.
certain words have wider appeal and are elegant or just have a positive appeal...
Base
Mark
Park
Time
Book
Talk....

And then combined with the niche you are looking at or some other compatible word...
Sky
Snow
Be
Tree
One etc.

As a general rule, the more general the two words, the greater the nunber of businesses that can form a brand around it... Eg RedMark.com, RedBase.com can be used by numerous businesses, words are compatible and have widespread use by various users.
But as you use more complicated words harder to type or without widespread appeal then it becomes less and less attractive.
BUT one may argue that they saw zomato.com sell on brandbucket.com for $x,xxx... Well. That was one of the very few cyberspace users who liked the name, was willing to pay for it AND found it on brand bucket...
For now I would advise staying away from the vague, stylist domains to market on brandable domain marketplaces...
PS: the kind of names I mentioned above can still be found... I found one or two but they are HARD to find and need good judgment before one registered. If not, no worries, one can always beef up their wallet abd buy from the aftermarket at a slightly higher price but wholesale and still flip them later...
Damn you autocorrect....

werejack

Level 3
Reaction score
Examples...
Base
Mark
Park
Time
Book
Talk....

Sky
Snow
Be
Tree
One etc.

So for the value of brandables (in this case, I use the term brandable to refer to two or three english word domains. Made up words like hulu or bobble are not the focus below).

Generic words have higher value of course due to type in traffic and businesses using that generic word in their business can cement their online brand and reputation.
So using my earlier example, redmark.com or redbase.com sold shortly after registering to a domain reseller or an end user would fetch about low to mid $x,xxx.
Now the value to the reseller is in the speculation or gamble that an online business will really want it down the line and pay big bucks.
Looking at one or two real life case studies,
Getdropbox.com upgraded to Dropbox.com after the business had grown so the domainer who had droobox.com could negotiate for probably $xx,xxx or maybe even more or share equity...
SumoMe.com upgraded to sumo.com at a cost of $1,200,000.
TheFacebook.com upgraded to Facebook.com so the person who had Facebook.com didnt know at the time of acquisition that down the line someone would build an online social media platform, pick the name Facebook and one day want his domain...
Ubercab.com upgrades to uber.com
More recently, sportsman's warehouse.com upgraded to sportsmans.com at cost of about $200,000... Technically this is a plural of a generic word (actually plural is sportsmen before I get attacked lol).

So I hope this guide from a beginning who has been reading up but needs to get first hand experience after making a sale. Find a niche you will enjoy, development your strategy whether its quick flips, buying a potentially valuable brandable or generic word and position yourself patiently as a fisherman for the day a company will need it while wat thing out for trademarks as you register them. Whatever you decide....

werejack

Level 3
Reaction score
please fact check anything I posted as my statistics were posted with the sincere belief that the information is accurate...

Jerry Peres

Account Terminated
Reaction score
By using a brand name or target keyword not only give your business more exposure worldwide and also bring more traffic to the website.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators