Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

BuyDomains Ultsearch strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all

There seems to be quite a bit of talk about serious players like BuyDomains & Ultsearch having private arrangements with registrars for direct RRP access.

What evidence is there for such assertion, or is it merely deduced from the good domains they manage to grap (against competition)?

Can others with less resources not compete at all using, eg, eNom's "Club Drop"?

Thanks!
sas386

Domain summit 2024

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well the question is HOW does Buydomains actually manage to get all those names - i don't see they use a public service like snapnames - so they must have agreements with registrars.
Btw - where again can this enom drop club thing be found? I once knew it but have forgotten :)

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dear Kris :D; thankyouverymuch.

Theres nothing wrong with someone having an agreement with a registrar. As long as they don't allow the customer to directly interface with the rrp they are fine.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well it's like always: The one that got money can afford an agreement.The one that ain't got money can't.On one hand that's how market in general is,on the other hand i feel registrars should be forbidden to a)register names for themselves b)have individual agreements that they don't offer to all/public.Why? Because at least if they are accredited by ICANN they have a special status that allows them to have direct access whereas the normal registrant doesn't have this opportunity.So if a registrar is a registrant at the same time so to speak - as a registrant they will always win the drop game against normal registrants - so they more or less abuse their ICANN status.

As long as registrars resources are limited that will always increase the price to the highest level the market will bear. The service is available to anyone who can afford/justify it - just the same as ferrari's are available to anyone who can afford it.

registrars are not supposed to register speculatively, but if they have a customer in place prior to registration then they are doing nothing wrong by taking bids on their admin service of *attempting* to secure it.

micro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience aquiring a domain from Ultsearch?

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
any domain but keep buying and buying...
Who knows more about this mysterious buyer?

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"The service is available to anyone who can afford/justify it "

I was talkin about registrars that have agreements with customers WITHOUT offering such a service OPENLY to ALL their customers.
Plus those agreements Buydomains apparently has - and i wouldn't call them an average customer of whoever service they use.

So,in other words: If those services are available to all,you tell me where to signup for the service Buydomains use.Thanx.

RacerX

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
almost all cases, they are not 'open' to the public. As RacerX has said, it is backroom bull***T. The WLS is lucid rational for the open and fair system. Those that don't want WLS want their little secrets and illicit secret deals with the Registrars to continue.

For instance, just TRY to even telephone Iaregistry about domains, let alone their secret drop council. Good luck! They stink getting names of late, but they did pretty well when a known few had a cozy arrangement with them last summer.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"The WLS is lucid rational for the open and fair system. Those that don't want WLS want their little secrets and illicit secret deals with the Registrars to continue."

Yes. The registrar system appears rife with insider trading.

There are so many registrars and so many different means for a person to obtain a drop currently. When the WLS lands it all changes and it becomes Verisigns party.

It has nothing to do with "cozy deals" - just common sense.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are of course a lot of parties (pardon the pun) that will be affected by WLS, with no means to game the system. A backyard industry was literally build on namedrops.

Obviously, some people aren't going to be too happy.

The means to "game" the system is to have large financial and time resources at hand and to diff zone files to locate domains that are on hold (and thus more likely to drop) or to script the whois for expireds.

Those are not things generally available to Joe Blow, but they are available to the people who already play for higher stakes with the registrars.

Thats my reasoning for thinking the WLS won't be the great leveller people want and expect.

We will simply see the same whinging comments from peope who aren't getting domains under the WLS as we do already. Some people really do seem to think they are owed deleted domain names on a silver platter but it simply doesn't and won't work that way.

The only thing that I question is. When I have a snap and I am the high bidder at Namewinner 85% of the time Snap gets the name. Namewinner never does. When I have the snap and not the high bid at namewinner, namewinner only wins if ultsearch has the high bid. The only person that beats the snap with namewinner is ultsearch.

Just my conspiracy theory.

safesys I agree, that the only people that will get names in wls are the people who have access to not yet expired names. If anyone thinks that ultsearch and other big guys get all the names now wait till wls.
Thats a big can of whoop@ss

Hi biznames

About your SnapNames/NameWinner conspiracy theory, would you care to mention how many domain names were involved in your experience?

Thanks.
sas386

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom