Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Buyer v. Seller: The DNF bias Exposed

DNForum Bias: Are you a Buyer or a Seller?

• [COLOR=red]1.[/COLOR] Get that tingly feeling when paying $8 for a spells-nothing dot-whatever dom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [COLOR=red]2.[/COLOR] Paying single digits for a dot-island nation domain sends shivers up my spin

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • [COLOR=red]3.[/COLOR] Paying double or triple digits for a 6 character dot.com is divine.

• [COLOR=red]4.[/COLOR] Thrilled to turn a quarter of the portfolio over in 6 months.

• [COLOR=red]5.[/COLOR] Nothing less than a 100% return on a sale is worthy of mention.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Holding them all until the second (or third) coming.

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is this forum skewed towards buyers or sellers of domains? Are you excited by big sales or, rather, by cheap acquisitions.

I think it is buyer oriented, not seller oriented, and, tus, that the forum, unwittingly, is driving DOWN the market.

---------

Which side of the fence are you on?

1. Get that tingly feeling when paying $8 for a spells nothing dot-whatever domain.

2. Paying single digits for a dot-island nation domain sends shivers up my spine.

3. Paying double or triple digits for a 6 character dot.com is divine.

4. Thrilled to turn a quarter of the portfolio over in 6 months.

5. Nothing less than a 100% return on a sale is worthy of mention.

6. Holding them all until the second (or third) coming.

Domain summit 2024

well given the forum mainly consists of sellers I'm not sure you could say that its necessarily buyer orientated. Just that opinions/valuations are are more in-line with the reality of the market as compared to other sites in my view.

the poll choices seem to be biased and skewed - all of them are basically "are you playing at this" written in different ways.

If you're efforts are geared towards reseller sales then the above options apply more - but if its end user sales then none are applicable.

this forum has absolutely no effect on the "real" market for domain names - that market exists outside of domain holder communitites.

flex

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
'6' describes me best :D

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

driving down the market--

unfortunately, with the fat lull after 9/11, lots of ppl who had to make their monthly dues let good names go for 2K. then you get a thousand marketing directors thinking the market is set at 2K for any name. however, corporations are getting more sophisticated about online branding every day. europe and asia are slowly getting dot-commed (good morning), and that means names will climb and keep climbing.

i still hear from marketing VPs who just don't get how important global trademark rights are--two years later, they're trying to buy a replacement for a name they failed to adequately research. this just in from reuters: they hand out marketing BAs like condoms at a rave. some pundit said in early 2001 that he thought all domains would level out at 5K. i do actually see that price point over and over, no one wants to exceed 5K, even if they're a fortune 500, just so they don't look hustled. do not let that leveling happen--i sold a non-dictionary this year for 35K, i just had to extend a payment plan at 7K/yr. find ways to make the price feasible for people who need to be prudent.

it could be two years before we can count on 20-50K sales again for non-dict'ys, but it will happen. if you're selling a name that someone could actually build a high-profile company on, you're throwing away your asset at under 5K, and you're driving down your own market and blowing your early retirement. live cheap for another year and it will pay off tenfold.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tenterhooks
it could be two years before we can count on 20-50K sales again for non-dict'ys, but it will happen. if you're selling a name that someone could actually build a high-profile company on, you're throwing away your asset at under 5K, and you're driving down your own market and blowing your early retirement. live cheap for another year and it will pay off tenfold.

Welcome Tenterhooks, great to see you here. Always enjoyed your posts - including this one - over at NWF.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotsofdomains
Is this forum skewed towards buyers or sellers of domains? Are you excited by big sales or, rather, by cheap acquisitions.

I think it is buyer oriented, not seller oriented, and, tus, that the forum, unwittingly, is driving DOWN the market.

dotsofdomains, The market is down I agree.
But it has nothing to do with this forum or any other forum.
It simply died because of the Dot BOMB that happened...and this is way way before the 9/11 incidents

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just when you thought a thread was dead after a month of inactivity a couple of new posts arrive!! Signs of a market turnaround??

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nah, if you've been following the news, its getting a lot more bearish of late.

It will recover of course, but I think this time it will be a prolonged wait once the value fundamentals correct. And there is a loooooooooooooooooooooooong looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to correct :dead:

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The DNForum members themselves ARE trading domains among the membership. Except for instances where rookies are taken advantage of by the veterans, I think that a sale between DNF members is a fair assessment of wholesale value.

:cool:

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, duck!

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators