Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld .CA Domain Leasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

emc2

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With all the rich domains posted on this forum, why isn't there a market for domain leasing?

Has anyone tried this?

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If they are not going to buy it, why would they lease it?

Only works for super premium names and even then most wont bother to start million dollar businesses around a domain they do not own.

IMO

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think leasing is allowed by Cira... otherwise I think leasing would be a great option.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Leasing is allowed, when it is properly constructed. We have leased domains for around ten years now, ranging from a few hundred dollars to much higher levels.

emc2

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@msn - I know many companies who lease names. They may not be looking to build a multi-million dollar site, but just a brandable name they would be willing to pay $50+/month for me.

I think a model as such could work: 1. Lease for 12 months @ $Rate/month, 2. Option to buy @ pre-determined price during the contract.

As a designer and developer, frustrating to see so many strong names go undeveloped.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We find the biggest issue is brand equity - when the leasee invests time and money developing a site and driving traffic, they do not want to be held hostage to a radical price increase, nor have the domain sold out from under them. For this reason we include one year less a day as a notice if not renewing, and fixed rates for the entire term of the contract, plus in some cases, an option to buy.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Back when I was running DropWizard we tried the domain leasing option with leasingdomains.com. Everybody said great idea but there was little participation.

I have offered it over and over to purchasers over the years. I have yet to have one materialize for the reasons people mention above. They don't want to develop and lose it and even with an option to buy they'd rather just buy up front.

I just don't think the market is mature enough for it yet. Once the prices of cctlds starts to rise and exceed .com's (and it will) there will be more incentive.

PS this was at least 10 years ago.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting, you think cctld prices will beat .com's at some point? How do you figure that, all the good .com's will be taken by then?

Plus people will have a slew of new gtlds to choose from, and some people will do that just because it might be a cheaper option. I don't find the average inquirer on my .ca's to be very savvy on domain names.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting, you think cctld prices will beat .com's at some point? How do you figure that, all the good .com's will be taken by then?

Plus people will have a slew of new gtlds to choose from, and some people will do that just because it might be a cheaper option. I don't find the average inquirer on my .ca's to be very savvy on domain names.

My prediction as it appeared a few years ago (without rehashing it all)

http://dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2008/dailyposts/07-24-08.htm

It turned out I was a little too early to the market but it will be where the market goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom