Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld .ca spotting! First time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So here I am in North Carolina on my way to work tonight. And what do I see?

A real live .ca advert. It was on the back of a big rig called itstruck.ca.

Why is this a big deal? I had never actually seen anything with .ca advertised down here. I don't own any .ca but it was neat to see something like that.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Dave Chiswell (Rebel.com)

Chiswell went a step further saying that acceptance of alternate TLDs had already happened in many parts of the world. Speaking of his own country, Canada, Chiswell said "There has been great growth in .ca and we are now seeing almost as many businesses in Canada using their ccTLD as use .com."

http://www.dnjournal.com/articles/events/domain-roundtable-2007.htm

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was on the back of a big rig called itstruck.ca.

Why is this a big deal? I had never actually seen anything with .ca advertised down here.
I don't think they are advertising "down there" (in the States). It's on a truck owned by a Canadian company, and A LOT of Canadian companies actually USE .CA domains for their websites. And guess what? itstruck.com was already registered by somebody else (surprise!); and that is why it's so important to reserve .CA domains for Canadians.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are advertising "down there" (in the States). It's on a truck owned by a Canadian company, and A LOT of Canadian companies actually USE .CA domains for their websites. And guess what? itstruck.com was already registered by somebody else (surprise!); and that is why it's so important to reserve .CA domains for Canadians.

If a truck is on the roads in NC and it says itstruck.ca...yeah, that's advertising down here. Signage is signage. If a truck says Roadway, UPS, FedEx, that's advertising no matter how you look at it. Bus or taxi has a placard with an ad, yup...advertising.

See a truck on the road with a phone number or website? Advertising.

I'll be heading to Nova Scotia perhaps early next summer. Not sure which vehicle I'll be taking, most likely the dog hauler. All vehicles have specialized and personalized tags regarding websites. Yup, that's advertising "up there".

Seeing a .ca in use for the first time was cool.

So it's not a matter of advertising "down there". If its Up There, Down There, Over There...it advertising. Otherwise, it would have just been a blank truck with a blank box.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If a truck is on the roads in NC and it says itstruck.ca...yeah, that's advertising down here ...
Sorry if I "curb your enthusiasm", but I am seeing .CA ads everywhere, every day.

The difference between the .CA sign on a truck and "advertising down there" is that the former is a probably Canadian property which happens to be in the States. So unless the company serves mostly in US territory, I'd doubt they are advertising their .CA domain "down there" specifically to their US clientele.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't want to rain on anyone .ca parade here but this is a sales thread. Please move this to the appropriate category...

garyrcanuck

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It should not be to difficult to see .ca ads on trucks in the US, especially the northern states.

The total exports daily between our 2 countries exceeds $1.7 Billion a day. Probably over $2 billion today. Lots of these goodies shipped via truck.

:?:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The difference between the .CA sign on a truck and "advertising down there" is that the former is a probably Canadian property which happens to be in the States. So unless the company serves mostly in US territory, I'd doubt they are advertising their .CA domain "down there" specifically to their US clientele.
You can't be serious.

Canadian property? That's a no brainer.

It is a moving advertisement. If it was in NC, where did it come from, where had it been, how many tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of people saw this on the road, what was its destination, and now it was on a return trip home.

It brought a load of something down here to it's final destination and a great possibility that it was bringing something on the return trip. If a merchant had something to be transported back to Canada, it would be nice to know that there is a freight line operating. How do we get in touch with them?

Again, hundreds of thousands of people seeing this vehicle. Has a .ca website on it and I know of at least one person who saw it.

Get out a map, look where North Carolina is in relation to Canada. Tell me that is not a long haul.

A .com, .ca, .net, on a vehicle is advertising and extending it's reach. Got plumbers up there in CA? Electricians? Got the name of the company on the side of vehicles? Phone number? Website? Or are all the vehicles non descript?

It should not be to difficult to see .ca ads on trucks in the US, especially the northern states.
My point exactly. I am originally from Maine. I am sure this is a common site in Maine, New York, Wisconsin, etc.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A .com, .ca, .net, on a vehicle is advertising and extending it's reach.
To be honest, I don't understand your excitement at all. A .CA domain advertised on a Canadian truck. What's the big deal? :confused:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're right, it is no big deal.

It was a couple of hosers Bob and Doug McKenzie pulling a stunt by stealing a truck loaded with Canadian bacon, touques, and Molson.

They just wanted to spend the weekend in Myrtle Beach. Simply "packing" for the trip.

dataware

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What just happeeeeened

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
fedex and ups both own their .ca version - one forwards one doesn't. Roadway is being squatted on by a major Canadian .ca owner.

Canadians know and trust .ca websites and multinational companies know that and buy their equivalent for use here more often than not.

I do remember seeing a few .ca's being used in California when I was there last - but then .ca - CA just makes sense for that usage.

garyrcanuck

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're right, it is no big deal.

It was a couple of hosers Bob and Doug McKenzie pulling a stunt by stealing a truck loaded with Canadian bacon, touques, and Molson.

They just wanted to spend the weekend in Myrtle Beach. Simply "packing" for the trip.

They did THAT again? One of these years our Mounties will get them, They always get their man? (most of our Mounties are women I believe:lol:

dataware

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fedex and ups both own their .ca version - one forwards one doesn't. Roadway is being squatted on by a major Canadian .ca owner.

Canadians know and trust .ca websites and multinational companies know that and buy their equivalent for use here more often than not.

I do remember seeing a few .ca's being used in California when I was there last - but then .ca - CA just makes sense for that usage.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

SHUx

California ... you gave away our secret ....

Indeed, multinationals do buy up domains ... and even some .ca's

Lorenzo

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go to Disney.ca...I guess the point I am trying to make is that we share a very large border and do lots of trade. I am an online merchant and most of my sales are from the US even using a .ca domain/website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom