• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Can someone please tell me what the heck this link is? Is it just spam or spyware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
8,934
Reaction score
245
I got this email the other day and clicked on the link..is it really an ecard or wtf?

Good day.

Your friend has sent you a greeting ecard from E-Cards.Com.

Send free ecards from E-Cards.Com with your choice of colors, words and music.

Your ecard will be available with us for the next 30 days. If you wish to keep the ecard longer, you may save it on your computer or take a print.

To view your ecard, choose from any of the following options:

--------
OPTION 1
--------

Click on the following Internet address or
copy & paste it into your browser's address box.

http://75.27.147.199/?97b969c2b1c85da463c5c036

--------
OPTION 2
--------

Copy & paste the ecard number in the "View Your Card" box at http://75.27.147.199/

Your ecard number is
97b969c2b1c85da463c5c036

Best wishes,
Mailer-Daemon,
E-Cards.Com


It says "timeout" I think when I go there..can someone that knows what they are talking about check this out and tell me what this is, etc? :uhoh:


Chris
 
I'm receiving about 30 of those a day. It's spam junk.
 
At$T wins worst company of the year award.
 
So it was sent FROM AT&T or through their mail service? I don't get it..are they just giving a deadlink so you goto e-cards.com? (i.e. sneaky spam?)

this is'nt some spyware download or some crazy shit..
 
What i think is that this is some guys static ip address. His machine must be off right now.
When hes online, id reckon he forwards this to some website hes launched on his local webserver, which might ask for general details an stuff.
Whether its a spammer or a spyservice, could only be found once you can access whats on that webserver.
 
look closely. got one too. it launches an exe file. I can't remem the name. Did a google on the exe file and it comes up as a trojan.
 
Hi,

I never ckick on a link in my email that I do not trust. And I double never click on a domain thats all numbers.

Peace,
Dan
 
99% of .exe files received that way are spyware/trojans.. I learned not to download anything from untrusted source long time ago..
 
look closely. got one too. it launches an exe file. I can't remem the name. Did a google on the exe file and it comes up as a trojan.


This same email? I have Updated Norton Anti-Virus running and it did not detect anything..I usually never click this sh*t but I thought this one was an e-card since I have got them before...do you remember what the file was called? Can anyone check to see if this link is malicious? What can I run to double check my machine?

Also - just going there would it download an .exe or would I have to confirm a DL or click something once there? When I went there it just say's timeout..
 
In your case the server did not respond; therefore no activity happened.

EXE files cannot be downloaded automatically (let alone run), unless you accept the download.
If you use limewire or outlook, then these file may get downloaded thru that source, but even then you would need to run them to cause havoc.

The only thing that CAN happen without your accepting anything is that you may get some malware scripts which run. These scripts are mostly cookies or plugins which get run everytime you start ur web browser.

To remove these malware / spyware scripts you need to run some spyware application which is 100% custom made to check these scripts against their database and remove them.

For me, Norton is just no good. I've never seen it catch anything but 100000 yr old viruses. Go for Zonealarm (newer build is really good) or NOD. If you have a server like 2003, NOD is the best option.

Rohan.
 
thanks dude...thought so on most of that, just with all this BS and pwd stealers, etc going on I really need to beef up security...and you all should do the same.
 
yep
Theres this small utility called HijackThis you should download.
It shows you all the plugins, startups, dll's which are loaded at any time. You can remove these entries directly from the registry. There are some plugins which just wont go away.
This neat little ditty can help you physically remove the entries ! :yes:
 
nice info, good to have you on the forum dude ;)
 
I saw some people talking about this on another board. Its basically malware that hijacks affiliate codes, search engine pages, etc.
 
care to share which board?
 
i get that even when click on a genuine email card sent by one of my chicks ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom