Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

"Canadian" not Generic ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The "Globe and Mail" reports today ..

.... on a pending Court hearing regarding Canadian.biz. Molson's Brewery, maker of "Canadian" beer, took the domain holder to WIPO and won, based on their trademark of the term "Canadian". How ridiculous is that!!!

Here is a link:

http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=813

Molson's claims that it has all rights to the term Canadian and seeks the .biz to prevent the owner from possibly damaging the brand in the future.

What's next ...... are generics going to come under fire ... and only trademark "holders" allowed to register domains ...

Ridiculous!

Domain summit 2024

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So if i, living in germany ,not ever having heard of a beer that's name is "Canadian" would have registered canadian.biz for the purpose of building a site for canadian businesses - what would they tell me? Bad faith?
I can't believe those decisions do really happen.How can it be bad faith to register a true generic name?
And also, in REAL law a TM holder has TM rights for only a specific niche or market or product - so how come as soon as any company has ANY kind of TM for a name, they're automatically be seen as the rightful soon-to-be owners?
ICANN and WIPO are a damn scandal.
:mad:
That's why i would always try to fight back in a REAL court if the domain is worth it.

despite what it says in the rules and staff reports, the udrp etc does give greater rights to tm holders online rather than offline.

But thats life, you just have to get on with business regardless and treat dispute resolution services as a form of taxation.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The inconsistent .biz STOP decisions keep on coming... in the latest batch, one panel found american.biz to be suitably generic to allow for its registrant to keep it despite American Airlines' trademark on the name in a narrow specialty. However, another panel found canadian.biz to be registered in bad faith due to the existence of a trademark on "Canadian" by the Molson brewery.

True Justice ?

anothernewbie

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Gosh! I own ukrainian.biz

I think I should be very careful with the name :eek:

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
would not worry too much... at least not right now...dot biz had a long long way to go.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You would be well advised to get some business activity going at any .biz site or risk losing it to someone with trademark rights. Remember, ukrainian may be generic/descriptive as to ukraine or goods and services related to ukraine, but arbitrary as applied to a line of lingerie or baseball bats.

Bottom line: Sell something or provide a service under the domain or risk losing it.

:cool:

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Congrats Douglas Black - and Molson has to pay his legal fees too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators