Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Canadian Presence Requirements For Registrants of .ca Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CIRA POLICIES, RULES, AND PROCEDURES

Canadian Presence Requirements For Registrants
Version 1.3

1. Overview. After public consultation, CIRA has determined that the .ca domain space should be developed as a key public resource for the social and economic development of all Canadians. Accordingly, persons who wish to register a .ca domain name or sub-domain name on and after November 8, 2000 must meet certain Canadian Presence Requirements.

While the Canadian Presence Requirements for Registrants set out below still require a connection to Canada, they will enable a much broader group of persons to register a
.ca domain name than under the rules of the University of British Columbia (UBC) registry.

Existing Registrants under the UBC system will not have to meet these Canadian presence requirements when they apply to re-register with CIRA a domain name that is the subject of an existing registration. CIRA hopes this will make it easier for existing registrants of the registry operated by UBC when they apply to CIRA for a new registration.

CIRA is committed to reviewing these Canadian Presence Requirements from time to time in order to ensure they remain in the best interests of Canadians and the .ca registry.

2. Canadian Presence Requirements. On and after November 8, 2000 only the following individuals and entities will be permitted to apply to CIRA (through a CIRA certified registrar) for the registration of, and to hold and maintain the registration of, a .ca domain name:

(a) Canadian citizen. A Canadian citizen of the age of majority under the laws of the province or territory in Canada in which he or she resides or last resided;

(b) Permanent resident. A permanent resident as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, (Canada) S.C. 2001, c. 27, as amended from time to time, who is ordinarily resident in Canada (as defined below) and of the age of majority under the laws of the province or territory in Canada in which he or she resides or last resided;(amended June 5, 2003)

(c) Legal representative. An executor, administrator or other legal representative of a Person listed in paragraph (a) and (b) above;

(d) Corporation. A corporation under the laws of Canada or any province or territory of Canada;

(e) Trust. A trust established and subsisting under the laws of a province or territory of Canada, more than 66.6% of whose trustees meet one of the conditions set out in paragraphs (a) to (d) above;

(f) Partnership. A partnership, more than 66.6% of whose partners meet one of the conditions set out in paragraphs (a) to (e) above, which is registered as a partnership under the laws of any province or territory of Canada;

(g) Association. An unincorporated organization, association or club:

(i) at least 80% of whose members: (A) are ordinarily resident in Canada (if such members are individuals); or (B) meet one of the conditions set out in paragraphs (a) to (f) above (if such members are not individuals); and

(ii) at least 80% of whose directors, officers, employees, managers, administrators or other representatives are ordinarily resident in Canada;

(h) Trade union. A trade union which is recognized by a labour board under the laws of Canada or any province or territory of Canada and which has its head office in Canada;

(i) Political party. A political party registered under a relevant electoral law of
Canada or any province or territory of Canada; (j) Educational institution. Any of the following:
(i) a university or college which is located in Canada and which is authorized or recognized as a university or college under an Act of the legislature of a province or territory of Canada; or

(ii) a college, post-secondary school, vocational school, secondary school, pre-school or other school or educational institution which is located in Canada and which is recognized by the educational authorities of a province or territory of Canada or licensed under or maintained by an Act of Parliament of Canada or of the legislature of a province or territory of Canada;

(k) Library, Archive or Museum. An institution, whether or not incorporated, that: (i) is located in Canada; and
(ii) is not established or conducted for profit or does not form part of, or is not administered or directly or indirectly controlled by, a body that is established or conducted for profit, in which is held and maintained a collection of documents and other materials that is open to the public or to researchers;

(l) Hospital. A hospital which is located in Canada and which is licensed, authorized or approved to operate as a hospital under an Act of the legislature of a province or territory of Canada;

(m)
Her Majesty the Queen. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second and her
successors;

(n)
Indian band. Any Indian band as defined in the Indian Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. I-5,
as amended from time to time, and any group of Indian bands;

(o)
Aboriginal Peoples. Any Inuit, First Nation, Metis or other people indigenous to
Canada, any individual belonging to any Inuit, First Nation, Metis or other people
indigenous to Canada and any collectivity of such Aboriginal peoples;

(p)
Government. Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada, a province or a
territory; an agent of Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada, of a province or
of a territory; a federal, provincial or territorial Crown corporation, government
agency or government entity; or a regional, municipal or local area government;

(q)
Trade-mark registered in Canada. A Person which does not meet any of the
foregoing conditions, but which is the owner of a trade-mark which is the subject
of a registration under the Trade-marks Act (Canada) R.S.C. 1985, c.T-13 as
amended from time to time, but in this case such permission is limited to an
application to register a .ca domain name consisting of or including the exact
word component of that registered trade-mark; or

(r)
Official marks. A Person which does not meet any of the foregoing conditions,
but which is a Person intended to be protected by Subsection 9(1) of the Trade-
Marks Act (Canada) at whose request the Registrar of Trade-marks has published
notice of adoption of any badge, crest, emblem, official mark or other mark
pursuant to Subsection 9(1), but in this case such permission is limited to an
application to register a .ca domain name consisting of or including the exact
word component of such badge, crest, emblem, official mark or other mark in
respect of which such Person requested publications.

For the purposes of this policy:

(a)
“ordinarily resident in Canada” means an individual who resides in Canada for
more than 183 days in the twelve month period immediately preceding the date of
the applicable application for registration of the .ca domain name or sub-domain
name and in each twelve month period thereafter for the duration of the domain
name registration; and

(b)
“Person” includes an individual, a corporation, a partnership, a trust, an
unincorporated organization, association or club, the government of a country or
any political subdivision thereof, or any agency or department of any such

government, and the executors, administrators or other legal representatives of an individual in such capacity, a “person” as defined in the Trade-marks Act (Canada) and a Person intended to be protected by Subsection 9(1) of the Trade- marks Act (Canada).

4. Notwithstanding paragraph 1 above, each registrant of a .ca domain name or sub- domain name registration which is registered in the .ca registry operated by UBC prior to November 8, 2000 shall be deemed to satisfy the Canadian presence requirements described in paragraph 1 above with respect only to an application by such registrant to CIRA to register such
.ca domain name or sub-domain name.

Domain summit 2024

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is very important to clarify. You do not have to live in Canada to be eligible to register .ca domains. Any canadian expat can register .ca domains without issue. And you MUST be an ADULT.

CIRA POLICIES, RULES, AND PROCEDURES

(a) Canadian citizen. A Canadian citizen of the age of majority under the laws of the province or territory in Canada in which he or she resides or last resided;

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And you MUST be an ADULT.

No, you need not be an adult. Your distinction - adult is the past form of adolescent in Latin - is not quite right.

One needs to be emancipated so as to be able to enter into a legal contract, and for most people, this means reaching 'the age of majority' as it is known, but it could also come to pass when a minor marries - with permission - and upon marriage also has emancipation.

Also, if a province or territory permitted under law a contract to be entered into for registration of domains and set the minimum age to be 16, then that would be lawful and CIRA would need to honour that distinction.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i tried to register a .ca domain at godaddy and its asking me if i live in canada.. how can i register a .ca domain if i live in the U.S ??

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you need to be canadian to register .ca's

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is there anyway i can use someone p.o box or address??

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is there anyway i can use someone p.o box or address??

Nobody will do this, if they get caught they could lose all their .ca domains.

-=DCG=-

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nobody will do this, if they get caught they could lose all their .ca domains.

-=DCG=-

I'c have to wonder just how much they would be able to enforce such a "rule" as it was imposed on us years after the extension was launched.

Not that I want the legal battle that would go with it. :-(

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'c have to wonder just how much they would be able to enforce such a "rule" as it was imposed on us years after the extension was launched.

Not that I want the legal battle that would go with it.

I once had all my domains frozen because some b_itch said I stole her domain, turns out I got in TBR.

She tried to buy it off me 5 times then gave up and send letters to CIRA via lawyer that I stole he name.

Was a real headache to get the account unfrozen.

To this day, I keep the name and will never let it drop because of that b_itch, yes I am still a bit bitter. ;)

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators