Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Can't change contact details first 60 days after a transfer?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have never had any issues either and use NP....unless less than 60 days from original purchase.

It does sound like DomainsAtCost may have adopted the GD model of freezing for 60 days anytime you make a change to any of the contact info...ugh

6sons

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainsAtCost did the same to me too. I took my privacy off and it locked me for another 60 but on the 61st day I moved all my names out.

Domainsatcost has a peculiar problem with the changeover. Normally privacy on and off does not lock a domain. I have done this several times back and forth to prove it. In their case they were using their own privacy maneuvre with "special private names" and myprivacy.ca so that now when the privacy setting is turned off it effectively gives Cira info that is different than what Cira knows therefore it locks the domain. For now they are doing transfers through their back end manually.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here are the reasons for a 60 day lock from CIRA, from my understanding:

- Registrant Transfer
- Registrar Transfer
- Initial Registration
- TBR Registration
- Registrant Email Updated * I still am unable to locate this restriction in the documentation but have had multiple people tell me about it. I've tested it on my end but we use registrant contact as both admin and tech as well as registrant contacts. So that may be why it didn't occur when I tested an email change.

It is possible, technically, to transfer to a new registrar and new registrant at the same time, but is up to the registrar to implement.

So to answer your question, yes you should be able to update the admin / tech contacts information after a transfer, but not change a registrant email or push a domain.

Hope that helps :D

Cheers,

Jay

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After so many years, why everything is so much more complicated with .ca names? I know it is a hypothetical question, and nobody can answer this, but I still don't get it. All this talk about privacy, security etc. defeats the purpose. Everyone working in a computer security field knows, that the best security is the one that secures, but at the same time allows clients to operate without a hassle. It seems to me that some CIRA regulations go way too far to achieve arguable goals.

djallan

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can't change contact details first 60 days after a transfer?

Is this true, just bought a name and transferred it to GD only to be told I can't put it in my name for 60 days.

Is this right?

-=DCG=-

Similar problem with GoDaddy. I recently bought a name that was registered at GoDaddy .
The push from sellers account at GoDaddy to my account at GoDaddy completed but there was no change to registant info, no registrar change and no change to contact info and yet GoDaddy's system flipped the "60 day lock" switch at CIRA and now contact info can't be changed.

The lock should not have been placed cause the only change was an internal GoDaddy account switch.
CIRA's response was "submit a written complaint and they'll look into it" but agreed that GoDaddy has messed up here.

Matrix1976

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am having this 60 day problem with domainsatcost. I had changed my whois info right before they made those ridiculous changes to their interface and charging scheme...now i'm stuck there (my dot ca's), are there any ways around this garbage? Since domainsatcost changed their TOS after i made the whois change, the rationale should be that the CIRA 60 days don't apply since we never pre-approved of domainsatcosts borderline illegal changes.

Update : It seems nothing can be done for this, apparently CIRA doesn't do anything about problems such as these unless the registrar accidentally made some changes to the registrants whois info and that only happened once at DAC (according to them). If a registrar changes their TOS or screws you, that is not a valid reason for CIRA to release the block. I have not confirmed this with CIRA because i'm tired of wasting time on this issue and will just take it in the A/$? like a good domainer at the mercy of the industry. lesson learned... /rant

Last edited:

6sons

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Should have read here first, so I guess we have to wait the 60 days at Godaddy.

Will do it differently next time... registrant transfer first or transfer at the same registrar.

That is the safest approach. Simultaneous registrar/registrant transfers are still possible however. Myid, Namespro and 10dollar (fws ) know how to do it. I even did one with GD but that was after I brought the right people in on it and helped them to understand the problem. Since then I have had 2 with go daddy that resulted in a Rar transfer only (followed by a rant transfer 60+ days later).

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Simultaneous registrar/registrant transfers are possible - this is the best way around this issue. Otherwise the registrant contact will indeed be locked after a transfer.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators