Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Cars.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattyP

According to two reliable sources, yeah that's you AMERICAR and Snoopy, Cars.com.au recently sold on auction for AU$20,000.

Not sure what Cars.com would be worth but it shows local country extensions, at least in Australia, seem to be attracting good $$$s

Matt

Domain summit 2024

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Matty, the amount was AUL$141k according to this website:

http://www.clickon.au.com/marketing/index.html

"Remember, the equivalent generic 'com.au' names are currently being auctioned with names selling upwards of $50,000 with cars.com.au selling for $141,000 and flowers.com.au selling for $153,500."

M

MattyP

Well it seems we have a conflict of information. Thanks for that fizz.

I will need to get my information gurus, AMERICAR and Snoopy, and tie them to a chair in the middle of a dark room, put a light on them and see if that will reveal any more info of the 'reliable' kind.

Back soon!!

Matt

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MattyP
tie them to a chair in the middle of a dark room, put a light on them and see if that will reveal any more info of the 'reliable' kind.

Wow, give them heaps Matty, LOL

:) my reliable source was actually americar. Though I think the $20k figure was what it was what it was bidded to at one point but not neccessarily the final price. Though I'm not sure how reliable the clickon.au.com claims are, I haven't seen anything in the press except for stories about the botched auction of apartments.com.au which got to $6500, and had to be reauctioned due to a problem with the auction timing.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Goh, there was no Australia ouch in there :)

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You sure you aren't Americar snoopy?

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>Though I'm not sure how reliable the clickon.au.com claims are...

Yes, 141k seems a bit on the high side for a .com.au. But then again, it's the commission on the sale of only one or two Rollys Royces eh Americar?

actually seems it may be true as the following appeared on ipaustralia which is the governments patents and trademarks site, - the articale originally appeared the australian financial review apparently.

"Generic net names well short of boom prices. Leaked results of the confidential generic Internet domain name auction have revealed the most expensive name sold to this date is flowers.com.au at $153,500, followed by cars.com.au for $141,000 and computers.com.au and concrete.com.au for $50,000 each. The auction of the remaining 1530 names from the original 2210 names is expected to be completed before June 30."

http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/ipprofessor/c/archived_news_clippings/ip_news_210502-270502.cfm

M

MattyP

Well.
It seems that AMERICAR was just passing on what amount he last saw.

The figures fizz provided seem to be accurate. Thanks fizz.

Wow $141,000 and $153,000 for .com.au's. Unreal.

Matt

actually the other big sale I heard of was $100,000 in 1999 for sex.com.au, I think it was disclosed when the owner later tried to float the company on the stock exchange.

M

MattyP

Don't worry goh and fizz I listened to ouch in Australian a dozen times for penance.

Matt

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow $141,000 and $153,000 for .com.au's. Unreal.

Absolutely !! This is the kind of news item that needs to be spread around to raise the profile of domain name sales again, give it a kickstart almost.

What got me was the heading of that news snippet: Generic net names well short of boom prices

LOL, those prices for a .com.au are genuine boom prices !

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't worry goh and fizz I listened to ouch in Australian a dozen times for penance.

ouch mate...ouch mate...ouch mate...

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>'Leaked results of the confidential generic Internet domain name auction have revealed…'

The only niggling doubt I have in the back of mind is that I hope it’s not, as Maxwell Smart would say: "It’s the old beautiful.cc scenario again, is it?"

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Wow $141,000 and $153,000 for .com.au's.

I can see them being appraised here.

...Reg fee
...No Value
...Stick to .com only
...Reg fee

M

MattyP

No fizz.

These auctions are no doubt for real. They are conducted by AUDA
the governing body of .com.au.

The thing about these .com.au names is they have no re-sale value to my understanding. In other words you may not re-sell a .com.au name.

Snoopy may have a differing opinion on my beliefs. I would be happy for you to correct me snoopy.

Matt

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>These auctions are no doubt for real. They are conducted by AUDA the governing body of .com.au.

That's great Matt - it legitimizes the huge amounts and is a great boost for domain name sales. Thanks for clearing that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators