Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Celebrity death match! Drupal vs. Wordpress vs. Joomla (and any others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wordpress is easy if you want to use the template you chose, exactly as is. I find there are too many steps to change simple things around. Everyone says wordpress is the best for a non-developer...but I just don't find that the case. Or maybe I just don't like their overall setup...and they sure can be buggy.

I love the look of many drupal sites, but the learning curve seems steep.

Some of the more simplier platforms i.e. b2evolution, nucleus...have very limited templates out there and small communities. Is there anything out there that is good for beginners who want lots of template options and ability to customize?

Domain Summit 2024

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wordpress!

exponent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wordpress is ridiculously awesome and easy to configure. It really is one of the most under-rated blog/cms systems ever.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i am also looking for something easier
some flat-file cms (without setup and sql)

any ideas?
Seems extremely unlikely. Flat files are not the way to go for large content, safety, and other reasons.

DomainManMike

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe that nobody is pushing Drupal. For a full-blown site, there is no better. There is a learning curve, but if you can handle it, you will be much better off in the long run. The load handling capabilities are amazing.

Sites using Drupal: Amnesty International (amnesty.org), MTV UK (mtv.co.uk), Warner Brothers Records (warnerbrothersrecords.com), popular science (popsci.com), aol corporate (corp.aol.com) ... yahoo research (research.yahoo.com)... and tons more.

For churning out quickie sites, mini sites, simple content sites, sure - Wordpress is awesome. For more than that, go with Drupal. You can crank out good looking websites in short periods of time, especially with the multi-site functionality.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe that nobody is pushing Drupal. For a full-blown site, there is no better. There is a learning curve, but if you can handle it, you will be much better off in the long run. The load handling capabilities are amazing.

Sites using Drupal: Amnesty International (amnesty.org), MTV UK (mtv.co.uk), Warner Brothers Records (warnerbrothersrecords.com), popular science (popsci.com), aol corporate (corp.aol.com) ... yahoo research (research.yahoo.com)... and tons more.

For churning out quickie sites, mini sites, simple content sites, sure - Wordpress is awesome. For more than that, go with Drupal. You can crank out good looking websites in short periods of time, especially with the multi-site functionality.

Sorry there are more Joomla fans here like myself, but Drupal is definitely a strong second!

janpaul

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you want to run blogs on multiple domains with just one Wordpress install, then Wordpress MU is very nice, especially in combination with a filed called 2140849181_njsl-sites-007.php in your mu-plugins directory.

Haven't looked into Joomla, nor Drupal after finding WPMU.

David.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very interesting thread with lots of good information.

Domain Man Mike thanks for sharing the sites that use Drupal.

Can someone please PM me with websites that use WordPress or Joomla?

I am just starting out with building websites and I would like to know which one to pick from as well as how each finished website looks like in regards to which program it was done in.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have done nothing else except Joomla thus far.

I am no expert but I like it.

Just starting setting up a site with WordPress, my first attempt.

After being in Joomla for so long and seeing WordPress's control panel, I about fell out of my chair.

Setting up a site in WordPress should be much, much easier over Joomla.

Joomla is incredible and powerful.

Any need you can think of and someone has created an extension for it.

That has got to be one of their strengths over all the others is the core group of Joomlaphiles that are always creating new goods for it.

It appears now it is a must to try Joomla 1.5.

Just when I was getting pretty good at getting around on the control/admin panel for Joomla 1.x they change it all.

I have not tried Drupal but I have heard very good things about it.

Isn't XcitePro a paid package?

Free is better.

Plus, there are very little restraints with the CMS stuff over a package.

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It appears now it is a must to try Joomla 1.5.

Just when I was getting pretty good at getting around on the control/admin panel for Joomla 1.x they change it all.

Are you saying your Joomla install isn't up to date?
That's incredible when so many members are depending on you.

You are asking for trouble if you aren't up to date.
That's open invitation for hackers.

Update asap ;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you saying your Joomla install isn't up to date?
That's incredible when so many members are depending on you.

You are asking for trouble if you aren't up to date.
That's open invitation for hackers.

Update asap ;)
I am not a whiz to transfer files from one to the other.

We may need another meLearning session.

:eek:

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not a whiz to transfer files from one to the other.

We may need another meLearning session.

:eek:
http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrade

That will show you what to do.
If old man like me can do it just from reading above pages, you sure can do it :D
Just be sure to backup everything in case something happens.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've stuck with WP for now, it's very easy to manage and just as easy to add in AdSense and other ads.

I'm sure if I'm able to get back to school and/or start reading the books I've bought I could jump up to Drupal or Joomla.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What would make a great test is to register 3 new domain names, in the same keyword area, and have 3 developers each dev a site; one wordpress, one joomla, and one drupal. They are each free to SEO as they best know how, and then we see how the page rank and traffic grow for each site. Now that would be a really great test.

It would also promote the skills of the 3 developers, especially for those that offer development services. The sites will have a different focus or look and thats fine, the main idea is to see which grow faster.

Anyone up for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators