Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Celebrity death match! Drupal vs. Wordpress vs. Joomla (and any others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What would make a great test is to register 3 new domain names, in the same keyword area, and have 3 developers each dev a site; one wordpress, one joomla, and one drupal. They are each free to SEO as they best know how, and then we see how the page rank and traffic grow for each site. Now that would be a really great test.

It would also promote the skills of the 3 developers, especially for those that offer development services. The sites will have a different focus or look and thats fine, the main idea is to see which grow faster.

Anyone up for this?
The only way I see this being done is each person use the EXACT domain for a month or so, and even that would not be accurate.

One person would be building upon the traffic already established and so on.

Regarding SEO skills - that an entirely different matter and art form.

omosquera

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wordpress: simple and easy.

Joomla: Powerfull and easy

Drupal: Profesional and Hard to understand, manage.

And the winner is : Joomla!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wordpress: simple and easy.

Joomla: Powerfull and easy

Drupal: Profesional and Hard to understand, manage.

And the winner is : Joomla!
Comparing just Wordpress to Joomla, I personally can not see an "easy" added to Joomla for someone just starting out.

Much steeper learning curve over wordpress.

I agree that Joomla is powerful, but I would rank them as being

WordPress - Great to learn
Joomla - When you are ready to step up your game.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For simple minisites, I use XSitePro and love the ease of use, quick monetization, and auto-publishing.

For anything beyond that, I have been using Joomla - there are just so many templates, mods, plug-ins, etc, that you can make it do just about anything without much programming knowledge.

I end up doing a lot of "free" jobs for friends, scouting, etc.. Setting them up on a CMS lets me just build the site, and the end users can add all the content themselves.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For simple minisites, I use XSitePro and love the ease of use, quick monetization, and auto-publishing.

For anything beyond that, I have been using Joomla - there are just so many templates, mods, plug-ins, etc, that you can make it do just about anything without much programming knowledge.

I end up doing a lot of "free" jobs for friends, scouting, etc.. Setting them up on a CMS lets me just build the site, and the end users can add all the content themselves.
I have heard a lot about xsite pro but reluctant to pay for something I can do myself.

But, I can not do all my sites as fast as xcite pro.

If you would, PM me a few links to your xsite pro sites.

Also, are people making money with xcitePro?

Joomla is a steeper learning curve over WordPress, that was the comparison I was trying to portray for someone wanting to learn a basic programming script.

Joomla is a workhorse and can do so much. I do love it. I wish I was better at it. That only comes from hands-on work.

But going from Joomla and now trying my hand at WordPress - WP is ideal for a starting point for anyone.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have purchased XcitePro and will see how it goes.

I prefer to do it all myself be it WordPress or Joomla.

That is how I learn all the processes of creation, SEO, optimization, linking etc.

But for fast up sites I need to find something.

Rick (2gajgops) you've been a great help.

mclovin

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have purchased XcitePro and will see how it goes.

I prefer to do it all myself be it WordPress or Joomla.

That is how I learn all the processes of creation, SEO, optimization, linking etc.

But for fast up sites I need to find something.

Rick (2gajgops) you've been a great help.

Sounds interesting. Let us know how it works out. Good luck!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Let us know how it works out. Good luck!
doing the tutorial now. I could perhaps wing it but best to take time and review. Appears to be feature rich and much automation. Also, I find a site online about this software and how to add and manipulate the code to make it even more feature rich.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Me too? How easy is it to learn the software? I have Dreamweaver but still prefer to stick to notepad for editing sites.
From what I have seen so far, it is all pretty automated and pretty much self explainatory.

In depth tutorials walk you through every step. Written as if you (or anyone) is unfamiliar with any software or system or coding.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc - PM me the first site you do with the software - don't worry about how good or bad it looks. I'd like to see what a site done by a beginner (with that SW) looks like - that way I know how ALL of my sites though it will look like. :)

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You guys are talking about Xsitepro .. Not Xcitepro ;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc - PM me the first site you do with the software - don't worry about how good or bad it looks. I'd like to see what a site done by a beginner (with that SW) looks like - that way I know how ALL of my sites though it will look like. :)
No prob. It may be a few days. Too many distractions. The tutorial - I can not praise it enough.

It assumes nothing. Even though there are tons of ad ons and graphics, it starts with a blank screen and you create using its promps. You essentially do not start out with a template, just a format (header, body, left panel, info bar, right panel, etc.) Taking my time as it is an awesome refreasher course on site construction, flow, etc.

mclovin

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No prob. It may be a few days. Too many distractions. The tutorial - I can not praise it enough.

It assumes nothing. Even though there are tons of ad ons and graphics, it starts with a blank screen and you create using its promps. You essentially do not start out with a template, just a format (header, body, left panel, info bar, right panel, etc.) Taking my time as it is an awesome refreasher course on site construction, flow, etc.

Could I also get a PM about your first beginner site from using the software?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could I also get a PM about your first beginner site from using the software?
Yup, I don't know when that will be but hopefully soonish.

Again, working with the tutorial first. Too many interuptions/priorities taking my attention. It takes the better part of a full day to mow the grass on my property or two half-days. Have to attend to the garden and crops, eight wives and one dog. Plus, I have to take courses online for perhaps the next nine months or so working towards another degree. Putting that off but can't put it off indefinitely. To be honest, if this site building works out I might just say screw it to an additional certification.

mclovin

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Too many interuptions/priorities taking my attention. It takes the better part of a full day to mow the grass on my property or two half-days. Have to attend to the garden and crops, eight wives and one dog. Plus, I have to take courses online for perhaps the next nine months or so working towards another degree. Putting that off but can't put it off indefinitely. To be honest, if this site building works out I might just say screw it to an additional certification.

I see. Well, you have a dog. That explains everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom