Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed ChequeCard.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike

Please appraise ChequeCard.com

P.S. For those of you who aren't familiar with the word 'cheque' or who don't have checking accounts that offer 'check cards' yet, the spelling 'cheque' is an accepted alternate spelling for the word 'check' AND is considered the correct spelling in Great Britain and Australia.

A 'check card' is a card used instead of writing a check drawn from your checking account. A 'check card' can be used anywhere they will take your check and there is a credit card machine.

Domain summit 2024

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good as an advertising concept to sell those oversold plastics.

Ad agencies (read coniving cheapskates) will probably deal in the $1k to $3k range for the name if they happen to move in that direction.

S

SiteTutor

also a Canadian term 'cheque' vs. 'check'

It's the 'debit cheque/check card'

$5K @ least.

huge industry.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
;)

sgopalam

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Cheque is the correct spelling in India.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, cheque is the Queen's English. :rolleyes:

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The term cheque is used in the UK, Canada; however not in the US.

On the other hand check cards are popular in the US but not in Canada for example. I say wait for the US concept of check cards to spread to places where the spelling cheque is used...

Now I say $250 to a speculator, in a few years this could be worth $100,000 or more.

here in the uk, if you asked what a cheque card was, most people will tell you its the card that they use to guarantee their cheques. When you pay by cheque the store takes your card and writes down the number from it and this acts as a guarantee up to a certain limit (for example £50 or £100). This protects the store in case you don't have funds in your account up to that amount.

When a card is used against your chequing account in the manner described, it is referred to as a "debit card" with the most popular being called "switch".

debit cards are very popular here and have been for years.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The term in the US is for a card that operates as a credit card worldwide but the funds are withdrawn from a bank account instead of borrowed. It can be used anywhere a credit card is used and has the same brands as major credit cards. In fact as far as the merchant is concerned it is a credit card transaction.

A debit card operates quite differently. Try using one for example to register a domain with say a US regsitrar.

NetShooter

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
$10,000

The explanation of the last poster is not truely correct. It is called as debit card in especially middle west. In california it is called as checking account card which is also a credit card if it has a Visa or the other logo on it. Connected to the balance of your checking account, it is like a credit card. Cheque is French I think and not so much known in the US.

Thanks for the info FineE.

The point I was making is that "cheque card" as a term already has an association here and that if someone were to launch a card that could be used like a credit card but tied to a normal account (I thought there was already at least one of those over here) then it is likely to be marketed as either a credit card or debit card in the same way that prepaid credit cards are (in that they are not credit cards at all if they are prepaid - its just a recognized term).

M

mike

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/visa_check_terms.html

AND

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/apply_for_card_ad.html

provide a good description of what a 'check card' is to Visa.

The way I read it is that check cards are basically debit cards with several credit card features and conveniences.
Each bank and credit card issuer can custom-tailor their check card offering.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/visa_check.html

The link above has a sexy pic of a Visa check card issued for U.S. market. It has 'Visa Check Card' written across it. I don't know which spelling (Check or Cheque) is written across uk/australian Visa check cards.

Anybody have any ideas about how I could approach Mastercard, Discover, American Express, and Visa to spark their interest in this domain so they would be inclined to make a decent offer or bid against each other for it?

It all depends if they call them "cheque cards" in the markets where cheque is the correct spelling mike - as far as i am aware, they don't call them that in the uk for the reason i gave before.

A quick check on google:

"visa check card" 18,900 pages
"visa cheque card" 29 pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators