Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

closed chicago.us

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by crabby

However, I have received unsolicited offers for the name. Let me ask you all here: If you owned the name, and someone offered you $6K, would you take it today?

If they offered you $6K that means they are willing to pay up to $12K from my experience.

One thing that really matters here is who is offering you money. If it is Boeing, then $6K is a paltry sum for this name. However if it's a mid-size company, then the most you probably could get is $12K.

Personally, I think all dot US names are worth more developed. I would get the name into some SE's, with some positive cash flow. Then I would sell. For a lot more than $6K.

izopod

Domain Summit 2024
Q

qak

SELL :D

These are also available :razz:

chicago.tv, chicago.co.uk, chicago.org.uk, chicago.me.uk, chicago.de, chicago.nl, chicago.dk, chicago.fr, chicago.it,
chicago.at, chicago.ch, chicago.be

Q

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
However, I have received unsolicited offers for the name. Let me ask you all here: If you owned the name, and someone offered you $6K, would you take it today?

For this domain, the only extensions that would sound good after the .com would be .us and .info. Therefore, I would not sell it for $6k. But if you need the money than that should be considered as well.

Good luck!

William9

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
First, please re-read the information in the Duke’s and izopod’s posts in this tread. Consider yourself lucky that the internet can provide their free timely EXPERT advice for free.

Next, congratulations on a killer domain. You are in on the ground floor. Just like buying stocks on the ground floor, you have to wait until it takes off (when everyone else finds out about it). Qak indicated Chicago.tv is available – checking it out, it is available for ONLY $2,500 annual rent. I suspect the other extensions are available because they were not purchased at premium prices! In a post, Domebase indicated that the last bid (lowest price you will ever see) was $4,110 for Chicago.INFO.

On, one hand I would advise you (as others eluded to) that you probably have no other investment you can make that will appreciate as quickly as Chicago.us over a 3 to 5 year period – or in other words – why sell an asset that is appreciating 60% a year only to place the funds in a 3% moneymarket?

On the other hand, (after taking into account isopod’s advice on considering the buyer), if it was $6k firm, I would take it in a second. I would consider it a market aberration as that would be my target price on Chicago.US for 4 years from now.

Whatever you decide, goodluck.

William9

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There have been many UDRP decisions on city names, you are mentioning the decision that of all the UDRPs, is frequently quoted as being the most ridiculous. I believe it was not upheld in Federal court. More importantly, it is NOT precedent see Helsinki et al. You are merely quoting an isolated error from the early days of UDRP. Enough - NO PROBLEM! For more info related to UDRPs on city names, please post to the Legal forum.

Validweb

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't know about federal court, but whois and the url would seem to indicate that this wipo decision stands.

I certainly agree with the other facts that you point out. They are germane to the valuation of this domain, but so is the decision I quote.

If I posted to the legal forum it wouldn't help much with the valuation of chicago.us

The situation to these cyber properties (domain names) is analgous to the real property world. Ownership of properties, especially in older cities, is on rare occasions challenged on the basis of some ancient city ordinance or obscure covenant or treaty. Property companies and their insurers sometimes know about these when they decide to buy a property, and the insurance company may adjust their premiums accordingly.

There is no such insurance for domain names, so we only have the dnforum, to highlight the degree of risk, however slight.

William9

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Validweb, your second and third posting restating your point that there could be arbitration on the domain (based on a position that is not precedent and universally panned) was begging for the reply “Boy are we stupid, gee, thanks for pointing out that risk Validweb, we reconsidered and am now downgrading our valuations by $3,000”

But we in fact consider every risk when valuating a domain. The risk you point out is possible. There are many risks that are far MORE possible – it is more possible that one would die and the domain simply drop, it is more possible that the domain could be stolen, it is more possible one could infringe on a trademark that you did not know about, it is more possible that the registry simply takes the domain back without explanation – all are far more possible than the notorious Barcelona resurfacing, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, THEY ARE IMPROBABLE – MATERIALLY IMPROBABLE. They are a possible risk, but not a material risk.

It is NOT NECESSARY when we valuate to post “Gee, I considered this or that risk” only a $$$ in valuating is necessary (or perhaps “$0 now, but $$$$ if that horse wins the race”). Gee I considered this or that risk, forget it. Discussion of legal risks considered when evaluating is for the legal forum.

Please check out the sign on the front door, “appraisal on your domain, post your domain name here and seek advice/valuations from other domain speculators.” That is what we promise and do.

Major city names (and even small 10 person towns) are universally known to have inherent value for reasons I will not elaborate on.

I STAND BY MY VALUATION OF CHICAGO.US. THE IMMATERIAL RISKS THAT YOU REITERATED AS NOT BEING CONSIDERED, WERE IN FACT CONSIDERED.

debath

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very nice name!

Good luck with being patient enough to hold onto it ... I agree with the Duke. :)

Debbie

M

mole

Great name!, wonder how that wasn't a reserved name under the original .us list.

Stockpiling of new ccTLDs in the wine cellar is a good thing sometimes. But I suspect, all things equal, the gTLDs mature better.

lawpal

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am very surprised you were able to register it. City names with .us extensions are subject to prohibited use regulations associated with the .us extension. I have to research this further, but anyone else with the same info please post here.

crabby

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Just about every major city name in the .us extension was registered by regular people, just check out these sites:

atlanta.us
miami.us
charlotte.us
losangeles.us
sanfrancisco.us
houston.us
elpaso.us
dallas.us
neworleans.us

... just to name a few.

Chicago.us will be much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom