Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld CIRA runs TBR ..the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Msn, sorry but I was asking for a registrar kept a TBR name and its currently registered in their name. Thanks.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is also easy - or might I say was easy until the WHOIS changes - if you look for registrar 2070425 ONTARIO INC. - also known as DotCa.ca - and the name used is Michael Lawlor.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Michael Lawlor was a pro forma cira profile the registrars set up for grabbing TBR's. There are/were hundreds in that name including stuff we got.

I don't think/know if it's a real person.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One - if ML does not exist then they broke the CIRA policy.

Two - some domains still sit in his name, with FW name servers, and are parked for income.

Three - a major, high value domain is in this situation for several years and it was bid above $14K in TBR.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Then go to cira and use the complaint form to challenge his existence. Cira will do a "prove you are who you say" and check that he's not a front for a registrar.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, CIRA may or may not investigate - it is up to CIRA - and if they do decide to check, they only need some kind of identification. The proof required is only that the person exists. As long as the person exists, there is nothing more done.

Rebel.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
CIRA will verify the registrant, they do this daily and without being asked. This is how they ensure .Ca domains go to Canadian entities only. I have had to deal with many registrations that have been challenged by CIRA, the process is called a RIV (Registrant Information Validation). Once a registrant is RIV'd they must provide CIRA with documentation that proves they are a Candadian Citizen such as a drivers license or passport (if a person) or they must provide a copy of their business registration documents (in the case of a business).

What CIRA will also do is look for other registrant profiles associated with the same entity so if Michael Lawlor does not exist the domains held by that entity will be deleted. If the entity was made up to get around some CIRA rules it may just come out when CIRA investigates.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
More than just one registrar offers on the registration web site the opportunity for non-compliant entities and individuals to hold a .ca domain through a trust or anonymous company. One registrar has about ten, maybe more, numbered companies set up expressly for this purpose.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Non resident people may hold .ca domains as long as they have an appropriate partnership with a canadian entity.

Perfectly legal and a service to offer.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Read the CIRA policy carefully. Most of the time the "partnership" would not meet the requirements.

Rebel.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with MSN on this one, CIRA has cancelled many registrations on our clients for not meeting the presence requirements and many have tried to make this argument.

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
CIRA is without doubt the best run registry worldwide (I own domains in more than 10 extensions including many cctlds).

CIRA continuously verifies canadian presence requirements and actually has a team whose main purpose is exactly that, namely verifying that a .ca registrant does meet Canadian Presence Requirements.

Of note as well is that the owner of a .ca domain is the registrant name not the admin contact. The registrant name is the legal entity that has the right to use the domain. The admin contact is only a contact that can be appointed by the registrant.

So if owner of a domain has another person as admin contact, and a feud materializes between the two, the registrant will prevail and the admin contact will go empty handed.

So if a non canadian person (Party A) makes some kind of partnership, deal, or understanding with a Canadian entity(Party B) for the purpose of registering .ca domains, whereby Party A is the admin contact and party B is the registrant, it is true that this will be fine from CIRA point of view but it will give zero protection to party A. Party B can keep the domain without issue and party A would be literally screwed with zero recourse.

The morale of the story: A non canadian entity wishing to register a .ca domain through the help of a third party must have an iron clad legally binding agreement with that third party to protect its interests.

Last edited:

dataware

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Che Cira CIRA - just like the song

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CIRA is without doubt the best run registry worldwide (I own domains in more than 10 extensions including many cctlds).

If you do own domains in more than 10 ccTLDs you are possibly bending some rule somewhere. So based on your world view you have determined that CIRA is the best? Wow.

lionfish

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you do own domains in more than 10 ccTLDs you are possibly bending some rule somewhere. So based on your world view you have determined that CIRA is the best? Wow.

That is correct and confirmed.

So now you are gonna start attacking CIRA?

You started with sibername, moved on to Momentous, and now CIRA?

Quite unreal.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since you appear to have no name and no address, it would appear that you are the one who is "unreal but I did not attack Momentous - I only illustrated my point, as was requested.

As to your fine judgment as to which of dozens of ccTLD registries in the world are neatly defined as "best" you would need to look at some internal numbers to which I doubt you have access.

Just the same, it is pleasing to hear you do confirm when you were asked if "you are possibly bending some rule somewhere" that you said, and I quote, "That is correct and confirmed."

Which registries shall we inform of your questionable activities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom