Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld CIRA runs TBR ..the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So...

I think we should start discussing the future of TBR results in Canada.

I know at this point we are having a TBR once a week. As interest grows here there must be a change. Will there be more than one TBR in a week as we continue to grow?

Will CIRA take control of the TBR process completely?

I think a plan needs to be implemented for the future. The registrars receiving the domains and having separate rules pertaining to bidding, auctioning...etc need to be changed.

I impose a plan where CIRA controls the TBR process completely. They could have TBR drops daily if need be. All domains will be in auctions through the CIRA website and each domain will be distributed to the active registrars. Therefore, you will no longer miss on domains if you do not backorder with every registrar. Since the process begins through CIRA and ends via the registrar that captured the domain.

An easier way....potentially the future of TBR drops in Canada?

You be the judge and tell me your ideas...

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
They need to have the registrars run through the TBR process (so they make money)...but they need to make it open and trasparent which they falsely claim it is today...Bob can be a registrar in his basement, offer services at inflated prices (so no one signs up), and gets in the TBR lottery every week hoping he can snatch the good names for nothing. So yeah, they need to fix it and maybe bring their website into the 21st century...I keep waiting for a DOS prompt to show up at their website ! :)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if the drops could be done through Cira, though they probably wouldn't want to take on the headache, even if it means more profit for them. The registrars probably would resist it, because it makes them extra money. It would be hard to make that big a change at this point. You can't register a domain through Cira, you have to go through a registrar - so dropped domains have to go through registrars to be picked up again, that's how the system works.

It works pretty much the same way as for .com .net and other extensions. The problem there (and likely to come to .ca) is that registrars are starting to keep the good ones for themselves.

Ricks

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree Hugegrowth - it's one thing for drop services to offer their catching services, but if there is evidence that they kept a domain that I had bid on........

Checking with CIRA's whois tool sometimes shows registrars as Registrants, sometimes with privacy on, etc.

If one of these businesses loses their reputation they will also lose their business IMO.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So...

I know at this point we are having a TBR once a week. As interest grows here there must be a change. Will there be more than one TBR in a week as we continue to grow?

I think a plan needs to be implemented for the future. The registrars receiving the domains and having separate rules pertaining to bidding, auctioning...etc need to be changed.

I impose a plan where CIRA controls the TBR process completely. They could have TBR drops daily if need be. All domains will be in auctions through the CIRA website and each domain will be distributed to the active registrars. Therefore, you will no longer miss on domains if you do not backorder with every registrar. Since the process begins through CIRA and ends via the registrar that captured the domain.

An easier way....potentially the future of TBR drops in Canada?

You be the judge and tell me your ideas...

You obviously weren't doing drops before the current system was implemented.
There used to be daily drops, except for holidays and script-glitch errors.
Are you wanting to spend EVERY morning doing drops?
I don't and didn't.
Some well-informed registrars helped CIRA design a fair, logical TBR system, that I cannot see needing any improvements.
If I REALLY want a TBR name, I can get it 98 % of the time. It's a matter of whether or not I want to pay the money.

As for Joe Blow setting up his own registrar and TBR for personal use, nothing is stopping you or me from doing the same.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
FYI, I have seen zero evidence of the real registrars (Pool or Sibername) keeping any of the TBRs for themselves. However, others that are not in fact registrars have done so and on a regular basis for select names.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You obviously weren't doing drops before the current system was implemented.
There used to be daily drops, except for holidays and script-glitch errors.
Are you wanting to spend EVERY morning doing drops?
I don't and didn't.
Some well-informed registrars helped CIRA design a fair, logical TBR system, that I cannot see needing any improvements.
If I REALLY want a TBR name, I can get it 98 % of the time. It's a matter of whether or not I want to pay the money.

As for Joe Blow setting up his own registrar and TBR for personal use, nothing is stopping you or me from doing the same.

98% of the time? I don't think so!

I like how everyone is speaking loosely...what will you do when 10,000 names drop a day? Continue to drop names once a week?

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
98% of the time? I don't think so!

I like how everyone is speaking loosely...what will you do when 10,000 names drop a day? Continue to drop names once a week?

fwdtech is quite right. The old system caused me a lot of work every morning. Once a week is a lot easier.

And if you are the only one that orders a domain at a registrar you're going to get it. You only need multiple registrars if the domain is going to be popular.

Curent system =

Cira- manages the database and is non profit. They already make enough with this.

Registrars - "COMPETE" ( a very good word) for the business. And hopefully make a piss pot of money cause you want them to stay in business.

Registrants- are free to aim as high or low as they desire or can afford.

Something for everyone :yes:

Oh and by the way. When we ran DropWizard for drops way back in the early 2000's the name files for the .com directory often ran to 400- 600,000 a week. 10,00 a day is a joke and no effort whatsoever.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There are 30+ registrars

There are at least 10% that do not even have websites.

I am not disagreeing with the fact once a week is not good enough. That is fine for now...but when there are 50,000+ domains dropping per week...this is unreasonable.

Does it matter if it's once a day or once a week in this case? Of course...you do not want to look at a list that huge. It makes a difference and of course you are not going to be able to catch everything. That's how it works...do you backorder everything in .com ? I doubt it...but at least you do not have to backorder at 30+ registrars.

This thread wasn't created to talk about whether once a week is good enough or not...it's meant to talk about the future of the TBR process.

CIRA strives to make this ccTLD as fair as possible.

Rebel.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
CIRA typically does not cater to domainers, they won't take into consideration that looking at a list of 50,000+ dropping domains will take you a long time.

the 10% of registrars with no sites could belong to drop catching companies that you are currently using to catch .CA domains which would mean these registrars are working for you. This is no different than the .COM space, just look at how many registrars Snapnames has created purely for catching names.

I'm sure someone of these may be independant registrars set up so the owners can catch domains but I also know many of them are used by drop catching companies to acquire domains for their customers.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FYI, I have seen zero evidence of the real registrars (Pool or Sibername) keeping any of the TBRs for themselves. However, others that are not in fact registrars have done so and on a regular basis for select names.

That is not true. I have at least one at pool they kept, and Sibername several times did TBRs into my client account and then pulled them to a third party.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
MSN, are you saying that a name that you TBR ed from pool or sibername...was given to either of them, and they did not release to their clients ? Wow...if you had evidence of that, please share. I do find that very hard to believe and has not been my experience.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With Pool it was not a .ca and they have been like a brick wall. With Sibername, they registered TBRs into one of our client accounts and they later transferred them to third parties. The cost of suing Sibername is likely as much as what the domains are worth.

Rebel.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
msn if you care to PM the info I can look into the Pool issue for you as they are our sister company.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MSN, are you saying that a name that you TBR ed from pool or sibername...was given to either of them, and they did not release to their clients ? Wow...if you had evidence of that, please share. I do find that very hard to believe and has not been my experience.

Nothing unusual with that. Sibername took several names we won auctions on and gave them to someone else.

It's why we no longer do any business with them.

GOff

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

They do hold domains for themselves, Mainstream registrars. Although cira doesnt allow registrars to warehouse domains, they do. I've never heard of a situation where a reg was penalized so walking on the edge isn't a difficult choice.

That is not true. I have at least one at pool they kept, and Sibername several times did TBRs into my client account and then pulled them to a third party.

I dropped a domain at sibername a year ago, and it didnt reach tbr. Went to their standard catching rant. I didnt pursue it but I keep these tactics in mind

It used to be daily. Although there were less names to consider at one sitting, you had to work 7 days a week at it. At the time alot of hot names were got with few domainers. At this point in the tbr game there are too many domainers involved so the time spent wont reap alot of roi.

No, they wont. They're a non-profit organization governed for the most part by the Canadian gov. It's not in their agenda to profit like they can, even if the money went to a good cause. Many of the issues we speak of here are in fact out of their hands.

It gets changed gradually. Things are very different today even from a few years ago.

CIRA typically does not cater to domainers.

well said. dot ca is good real estate because of cira's ongoing efforts to keep it for the people and local business. but they cant stop domainer involvement completely. I'm happy with how things are going and allowing it to mature naturally.

Nothing unusual with that. Sibername took several names we won auctions on and gave them to someone else.

It's why we no longer do any business with them.

I suggest some of you older domainers check your cira account to see if sibername has CWA for your domains in the rants they created for you while catching domains for you.

CWA = Change without Authority / Gives the registrar complete power of your domains. Every domain in the rant.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Can someone please give concrete examples of a domain that went to TBR and was kept by one of these main registrars. Lots of talk but no one has provided any evidence of this. So far, as I mentioned before, I have seen zero evidence of it.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You want to have examples of where a TBR did not go to the person shown in the original registration? Got those. Likewise, there are TBR registrations that are sitting with the registrars and the owners of those registrars.

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Msn, I am interested in the latter yes. Kindly provide me example (here or via PM). Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom