Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

- City Portal Script -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a city portal script - Prefer PHP.
- Local news
- Business Directory listing
- Classified Ads
- Forums

I did check Joomla (overkilled) and WordPress.

Thanks,

redomainer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey Johnn,

I have a few city.com's and have been looking for something similar. I found this theme for Wordpress: http://www.revolutiontheme.com/magazine/ that I thought could be tweeked to work.

If you find something that works well, please let me know. Thanks.

Bill

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i m also looking for a script like this,
i think the way to go is Joomla with a commercial template that has the look of the city portal

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Joomla is overkilled and difficult to maintain.

I used joomla since Mambo time so it is ok for me to develop. I just want something simpler so I can develop and hand it over to the new owner.

Thanks,

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well I don't see how wordpress would manage Business Listings, Classified Ads or Forum for that matter.

I'd assume Joomla would be the best, or Drupal. But if you're looking at an out of the box script - I haven't seen one.

Maybe one of the social networking systems like ning or similar might work for you.

tphelan

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Johnn

Here's some options:

www.phpmydirectory.com - I haven't used this one myself but know others who have and they like it quite a bit. I'm planning to eventually try them out. It's a reasonable price.

http://www.edirectory.com/ - Looks like a great way to go except they are not inexpensive. There's a set up price and also ongoing monthly costs. They look like they put a great directory online though.

Another option is we can make a portal for you. It's not just one script and takes about a week or so to have it up and running completely. It does quite a bit and costs over $1000 but unlike edirectory.com there are no ongoing fees. Here's one of mine that is almost done:

www.sjdowntown.net

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

KaneCo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone try cityamerica.com?

Expensive and hard to make look good. More of a system that relies on going to business and selling your ad space. there is a guy that does one here in town. surfaugusta. com. I just think it looks ugly and very 2001. I used it for a while then got frustrated with it. I think its a modded up joomla or drupal script originally.

redomainer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Forgive me as I'm a novice at this. I do have 3 city.com's though that I want to develop, so this thread is of interest and I've been keeping an eye on it to what you're recommending.

In my searching, I found some of the best Wordpress themes I've seen at RevolutionTheme.com. I think (?) Snellville.com is using the Revolution News theme. I purchased the Revolution Magazine theme last night-probably would have purchased the Pro Business or Pro Media theme if they had a banner in the header.

I'd like to know your opinions of how you think the Revolution Magazine theme will work for a city.com? Thanks in advance.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom