Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

COLLAPSE OF the MOBI & IDN MARKETS -- the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edit: Don't care about this anymore.

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Now in Novemeber there was a huge pop of 11% in numbers for Mobi registrations. Registrations would be a negative percentage actually if that pop didn't occur. Are these fudged numbers by mTLD or did someone go ape tasting mobi names?
It was due mainly to the launch of Chinese IDNs. The registration spike was not sustained and new registration volume fell back to normal.

Regards...jmcc

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Not so fast, Smart Alec.
It's important for the market to know who the players are, and what they stand for.
To begin with, the best place to learn and find the right tools would be DNlocal. Run by Jose from Portugal, the author of the free valuation tool, idn.bz
For the Asian names idnclub is very good.
A few words about The Hydra, which squeezed a good man, Olney, out of the business. Olney is a great guy, with vision and knowledge. He never had any money to invest. The Hydra shagged him, and stole his forum with a meager $10k.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay, but the title of this thread is the collaspe of the IDN and .mobi market.

That hardly seems to be the case in either of these situations.

Do you think one or two people created the need and petitioned ICANN for IDN?

Or perhaps it may have been the nearly 2 billion Chinese and nearly 1.5 million of India?

How can something collapse without a launch?

As for personal portfolios or wealth collapsing, god forbid that someone would put their entire faith in one sector or particular speculation of this market. The entire market is speculative in its very nature but hardly wise to bet it all on a one-horse race.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay, but the title of this thread is the collaspe of the IDN and .mobi market.

That hardly seems to be the case in either of these situations.

Do you think one or two people created the need and petitioned ICANN for IDN?

Or perhaps it may have been the nearly 2 billion Chinese and nearly 1.5 million of India?

How can something collapse without a launch?

As for personal portfolios or wealth collapsing, god forbid that someone would put their entire faith in one sector or particular speculation of this market. The entire market is speculative in its very nature but hardly wise to bet it all on a one-horse race.

There is no reasoning with the person above Doc. They are plain crazy. The fact that the mods here allow this when their single post is evidence enough to justify closure defies logic. But so does the OP.

The hydra? Are you 8 years old?

Edit: lol. this is too funny to be real. seriously.

Last edited:

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There is a better proposition:
Let's get rid of the lily white Hydra, which couldn't stand the African American kid Olney :smilewinkgrin:

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And if someone owns 奈.com right now, why would apple have the rights to it when the .com will be mirrored to represent all Japanese script.

奈 means 'how can one help' in Chinese, and doesn't mean anything in standard Japanese.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Japanese
The point I was trying to make is Apple DOES NOT own or have rights to every single word spelling or script to the word a-p-p-l-e, not to mention the 1600 varieties of apples in the world.

Apple Computer is a brand. Apple (the fruit) is not.

At the same time, they do have rights to their brand and protecting that brand. And it may be quite a battle to get all those IDN's for Apple.

If I owned the domain FujiApple dot com and pointed it to Apple products like iPod, iPhone, MacAir, well...

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The point is, the character you used as an example doesn't mean apple in Japanese, so you shouldn't chime in on what you obviously don't understand.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The point is, the character you used as an example doesn't mean apple in Japanese, so you shouldn't chime in on what you obviously don't understand.
Um, I understand IDN, which is what the thread is about. I was using an example of how (the meaning, spelling, etc) of Apple in one language will not give the IDN of Apple in every language to that holder of (apple).com or (apple).net.

As for chiming in, 18 pages later you find something to say? As if this thread was entirely about apple?

as for apple, and your japanese usage, contact the folks of Japanese Kanji Dictionary and inform them that they are wrong.

奈 - a wild apple
檎 - an apple

奈 means 'how can one help' in Chinese, and doesn't mean anything in standard Japanese.
Aw,...you went back nearly an hour after the original post and edited your comments.

Why is that? Were you wrong in your interpretation/characters of Apple and Apple computer?

I guess I should have captured your entire message.

Last edited:

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
contact the folks of Japanese Kanji Dictionary and inform them that they are wrong.

奈 - a wild apple
檎 - an apple

Neither of those characters are used for 'apple' in standard Japanese or Chinese.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/奈
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/檎

Aw,...you went back nearly an hour after the original post and edited your comments..

After reading your reply, I realized you weren't capable of reading the Japanese dictionary entries I posted first, so I re-edited my post to make it perfectly clear to you in plain English.

Once again, 奈 does not mean apple in Japanese.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Neither of those characters are used for 'apple' in standard Japanese or Chinese.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/奈
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/檎

After reading your reply, I realized you weren't capable of reading the Japanese dictionary entries I posted first, so I re-edited my post to make it perfectly clear to you in plain English.

Once again, 奈 does not mean apple in Japanese.
Again, take it up with the good folks at Japanese Kanji Dictionary online.

That is in plain english as well.

Perhaps you can get a job correcting the publishers.

And, once again, this thread is not about apple or interpretations of apple. I used that name/word as an illustration.

Perhaps you can open a thread to teach all non-native speakers Japanese seeing this is your intent on jumping in to a thread (or, as you put it) chime in on page 18.

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Again, take it up with the good folks at Japanese Kanji Dictionary online.

And, once again, this thread is not about apple or interpretations of apple. I used that name/word as an illustration.

Wrong, I'm taking it up with you and correcting you, because you are starting to debate something about Japanese trademarks which you have no clue about, and you can't even get the translations right out of a dictionary.

There are three different ways to write 'apple' in Japanese, and which one you use matters in trademark terms, since one of them is used by Apple as a trademark in Japan, and the others are not.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
since one of them is used by Apple as a trademark in Japan, and the others are not.
You find this entire thread about apple, trademarks, Japan, and apple trademarks in japan?

Start a thread on Japanese grammar for us other non speakers. And correct the online dictionary I quoted. After all, they are the ones I referenced.

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If only those poor noobs on Namepros that maxed out their credit cards buying mobees had taken my advice. The mobee marketplace used to have top billing on Namepros. Now I can't even find a mobee section anywhere on the site.

mobee market parallels the tulip market from the 16th century and later the beanie baby market.

280px-Tulip_price_index1.svg.png

Not a .mobi fan but still plenty of .mobi references on NP's and still have their own .mobi section so perhaps you are seeing what you want to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators