Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

COLLAPSE OF the MOBI & IDN MARKETS -- the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i just picked the idn up
"espíritusanto.com" where can i park this??? it mean holyspirit in spanish.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it would be more like an additional configuration option that goes with your .com or .net domain, along with DNS, e-mail, URL Forwarding, etc.? (IDN-TLD Activation)

Yes it will be exactly like that. The beauty of this whole thing is... If it is not worth it to translate the extension. Then don't do it. If your traffic is mostly Japanese then it would be worth it.

How domains are going to be used is going to change dramatically in the next year alone. If it's worth it. Do it. If not. Then don't. It doesn't matter whether it's IDN.com or Ascii.com. You still own the domain. You have the option of expanding the ext, there isn't anyone that can take that from you.

but for sure, knowing these blood suckers, it won't be free

you can be sure of that. But it all depends on the domain. If it's Japanese traffic, it may be worth it. If it's primarly US traffic then don't. I don't see how it's that hard to get.

i just picked the idn up

Namedrive.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess they won't tell you traffic number / dns request before you activate, thus you only can do an educated guess and try

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess they won't tell you traffic number / dns request before you activate, thus you only can do an educated guess and try

Hmm... Namedrive tells me exactly where my trafffic is coming from. I have 50% traffic from russia at the moment. For those domains. I'll be activating the .kom for Russian.

I guess it depends on how well you know your traffic.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know it is easy to find out where the traffic comes from, it still doesn't tell you how many will type in .(IDN)

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know it is easy to find out where the traffic comes from, it still doesn't tell you how many will type in .(IDN)

I guess that's why we've studied the tools and statistics at our disposal for the last 4-5 years; for some IDNers it's been almost 10 years. We've had to go to other forums besides this one. We tried letting everyone know. But as you can see... Rich domainers like "Fearless" that have made their money already got in our way of letting everyone know.

Taking traffic from their million dollar .coms is a real threat to them. It isn't a matter of whether it will happen. It's a matter of when.

There are tools that will tell you this. Since I seem not to be able to post them here. Either these top domainers are blocking our message or not wanting to let you know. But there are ton's of ways of finding out who types in what.

investors

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess that's why we've studied the tools and statistics at our disposal for the last 4-5 years; for some IDNers it's been almost 10 years. We've had to go to other forums besides this one. We tried letting everyone know. But as you can see... Rich domainers like "Fearless" that have made their money already got in our way of letting everyone know.

Taking traffic from their million dollar .coms is a real threat to them. It isn't a matter of whether it will happen. It's a matter of when.

There are tools that will tell you this. Since I seem not to be able to post them here. Either these top domainers are blocking our message or not wanting to let you know. But there are ton's of ways of finding out who types in what.

How do you think the use of the Opera Browser will affect the value of .mobi extensions?
http://www.opera.com/

investors

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
watcha guys talking about here..

It seems the value of the .mobi market will peak due to the technology being developed for the mobile browser. Less and less people will need to develop the .mobi since the browser will convert the .com to the mobile smart phone. It will also increase the value of the .com as the demand increases.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How do you think the use of the Opera Browser will affect the value of .mobi extensions?
http://www.opera.com/

The Opera Browser has single handedly made me bathe in cash on Russian domains.

It's gold on IDN.coms!

As far as .mobi. Doc com will be able to tell you better than me. Pm him.

investors

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Opera Browser has single handedly made me bathe in cash on Russian domains.

It's gold on IDN.coms!

As far as .mobi. Doc com will be able to tell you better than me. Pm him.

Why increase expenses when browser technology is advancing faster than mobile development?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.mobi

There are technical solutions that provide similar benefits as mobi: compressing/downsampling proxy servers and microbrowsers, like Opera Mobile, which can tailor any website to small display (using Small Screen Rendering technique). However, these browsers must still download an entire page (with graphics and other related files) which, if not optimized for mobile phones, can be time-consuming and expensive to download. To improve the latter issue, the two adaptation techniques can be used together. This is the idea behind proxy-based microbrowsers like Opera Mini that download the optimized and compressed version of web pages through dedicated proxy servers. However, web pages viewed on a mobile via a proxy-based microbrowser are rarely specifically designed for a mobile phone, so it is left up to the proxy server and browser to decide what to compress, what to display, and how to display it, which, unlike the .mobi version of the site, may not necessarily be how the web page owner intends for the mobile audience.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why increase expenses when browser technology is advancing faster than mobile development?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.mobi

There are technical solutions that provide similar benefits as mobi: compressing/downsampling proxy servers and microbrowsers, like Opera Mobile, which can tailor any website to small display (using Small Screen Rendering technique). However, these browsers must still download an entire page (with graphics and other related files) which, if not optimized for mobile phones, can be time-consuming and expensive to download. To improve the latter issue, the two adaptation techniques can be used together. This is the idea behind proxy-based microbrowsers like Opera Mini that download the optimized and compressed version of web pages through dedicated proxy servers. However, web pages viewed on a mobile via a proxy-based microbrowser are rarely specifically designed for a mobile phone, so it is left up to the proxy server and browser to decide what to compress, what to display, and how to display it, which, unlike the .mobi version of the site, may not necessarily be how the web page owner intends for the mobile audience.

WTF are you talking about? I am openly not invested in .mobi. Nor have I ever stated anything for or against. WTF are you talking about? This is about IDN not .mobi. If you have a question about that. I suggest you ask the ****ing right person. WTF?

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If people are to guesstimate that browsers render .mobi useless, then if I have a name in a mobi that is a fully developed site while it's counterparts in .com, .net, .info, .org, .co.uk, .de are all parked, isn't that a waste of technology.

Point being, who wants to look at a parked page in every damn extension?

I applaud all those that believe parking is the domainer's friend and the only option they have.

And to those that feel the browser is the answer to every thing, I really can't argue that point too much because it will take a while for the, um...nearly 4.5 billion cell phones in use, to be traded in and upgraded.

Until everyone's crystal ball catches up to reality, nothing says mobile better (and mobetter) than mobi.

i just picked the idn up
I actually saw that and almost regged it about a week ago.

I have luck at both name drive and sedo for espanol domains, perhaps better at sedo. I have been known to switch back and forth.

What matters most is the keyword to get the traffic looking to begin with. In your case, perhaps catholic or vatican will help bring in more traffic.

does this sentence make sense?

Browser technology is advancing faster than mobile development???

You mean in the time it takes for me to make a mobile site ALL browsers will be up to speed?

I guess I need step by step instructions on how to get domains on this "second tier" so I can take full advantage of Chinese traffic.

Last edited:

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess I need step by step instructions on how to get domains on this "second tier" so I can take full advantage of Chinese traffic.

Hey dude. Can you let me know too? I guess I'm a jack-ass. lol. :lol:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey dude. Can you let me know too? I guess I'm a jack-ass. lol. :lol:
Seriously, I have no idea how to do this.

Something with the second tier parking or aliasing or redirecting...traffic is blocked from China but there are ways around this????

I'd love to capture a fraction of that traffic...

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I can send you sample HTML code so you can make a lander which works with google chiense search box and/or baidu search box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom