Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Could this study affect the value of domain names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hadn't realised that I was being studied so closely by neuromarketers. :)

Ah, joking of course. You mean other people. Because it's a bit of an assumption, based on my arguments above, that I would think anything heavier was necessarily more advanced. Surely to believe the opposite is more instinctive nowadays? Neither can the scent in a hotel touch me, as I am anosmic. I do understand the third, although I have never smoked myself. I think this is just plain common sense, though, rather than something mysteriously to do with neuromarketing. Isn't it through colour and design that branding for biscuits (cookies) and most similar items is built up?

Are you still in school? I'm at the other end of the life spectrum and always look for the meaning behind the words rather than at the words themselves.

Where does all this leave you in relation to domaining? Are you buying your domains now based on how right-sidedly attractive you believe they are? Hmmm, that could make an interesting sales pitch for someone selling.

The instinct still holds true, IMO, for what I can only assume to be associating "more" weight with "more" technology. What also needs to be factored is an impossibility of truly "lightweight" devices nowadays, particularly with phones and tablets, having a standard in respect to battery lives, which is usually where the bulk of a device's weight comes from.

The particular study in question placed two remote controls next to one another, one of which was at the "minimum" weight, the other had a useless piece of metal in it to make it feel heavier. Peoples reactions were that the lighter one was broken, or otherwise inferior. Such an instinct is not a thing which can be explained or rationalized, but knowledge of it is very useful in being able to manipulate peoples' behaviours and reactions favourably.

To answer your question, no I'm not. I'm actually a high school dropout, left when I was 16. I'm going back to college in September, but that's for Fashion Management, hardly your traditional academic syllabus.

As for how it relates to domaining, it has prompted me to formulate some "brandable" domains using a refined combination of letters, geared towards the findings of this study.

Not so sure how I could use that in a pitch... I probably wouldn't try and pitch any domain this way, I'd probably hold onto them for myself an use them for a venture down the road, knowing that the subconscious inclination will be an added "sticky" factor. Though I wouldn't doubt for a second that this could all be taken into account by a big company with a crew of neuromarketers in the production of a spin-off, or the process of rebranding.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

it's more like.... "stimuli/stimulus applications" that illicit certain responses from a known group. while tabulating the variables of the unresponsive.

nice!

to Maxell's point about those 11 letters:

a few of them are not considered "premium", according to some dn'ers standards, so how does/would that fit in with the theory/study or is it totally irrelevant?

Well, the basis of "premium" is generally to do with what those would consider to be letters likely to be used in an abbreviation. If it's pronounceable, I foresee no issues in respect to just how well it will catch on.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
prob more effect on mobile, where its harder to type

This problem has been greatly exaggerated. I use a Samsung Galaxy S II. Typing is as easy as a pie.

In an year, most of you in the developed world will own smartphones anyway.

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So how is your thesis about that we in Denmark have "æøå" on the right hand-side :) just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators