Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld cyber (dot) ca - Valuation Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We have been contacted by the Government of Canada - they are interested in purchasing Cyber.ca, but don't want to "overpay" for the domain, as it is taxpayers that will foot the bill.

Any thoughts here on what the value of this domain might be on the Open Market?

A quick search at CIRA shows over 850 domains currently registered starting with the term cyber:
http://whois.cira.ca/public?domain=cyber

Opinions on value would be appreciated.

Domain summit 2024

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would use recent .ca domain sales listed on DNjournal and Excellent.ca as a guide. Cyberprotection.ca is operated by Emergency Preparedness Canada so that maybe the same agency that is interested. I wouldn't go any less than 5 figures though but that is me.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm an expert, but whether my valuation is good or bad, I'd hate for it to play a part in your sale if someone googled the domain

So I'll just suggest this asking price...A lifetime exemption from paying income taxes :)

Last edited:

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd certainly head for the upper 5 figures in such a transaction. And you can point to several high profile sales to justify.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Check here for some top .ca sales http://excellent.ca/sold_domains.php

I think it's a better name than some that have sold for xx,xxx and a 'worse' name than some that have sold for x,xxx

But it is a top internet/online term, so I agree with others in the xx,xxx range, probably $20,000 to $50,000 range. It is a good use of tax funds, better than say what was spent on the Mulroney trial. :)

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First, congratulations.

Second, it is highly unusual for government to go outside the .gc.ca root, so make sure that the people who have contacted you have the authority to actually make the purchase!

Third, depending upon how a potential purchase would be made, your price could be adjusted: there are rules for sole-source purchases which limit the value unless specific approvals are met. If this is a lower-level person, they may not want to escalate the approval and therefore want to stay within a specific range, while if it is an initiative from the minister, there is in all likelihood a willingness to pay what it takes.

Based on what I see - again, without knowing anything about how your cost and how long you held it, I would expect a range of $19,900 to around $25,000, but that could adjust up - or down - once we look at some direct recent comparables. If we were the broker for it, we could present recent non-disclosure deals to back up our own valuations and offer a fairness opinion, which may help them justify the ultimate agreed value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators