Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Demand Media files for IPO, with Goldman the lead banker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

***Not My Blog ~ So I am Not Advertising ~ Just only place I found the Information***

Demand Media Files to Go Public – Demand By the Numbers

Demand Media, the parent company of eNom, has filed to go public and raise up to $125 million. I’m reading through the S-1 as we speak, so this article will expand. Here are some of the details:

-The company generated $198 million in revenue last year, and $114 million through the first 6 months of 2010

-The company reported a net loss of $22 million last year and $6 million through the first 6 months of 2010

-It had $33.5 million in cash at the end of June, and total assets of approximately $469 million.

-Registrar revenue for the first six months of this year was $47.7 million; content & media revenue was $66.3 million

-The company depends on Google for its ad revenue, with 26% of its revenue in the first half of the year coming from Google. Demand’s agreement for parked domains expires in the first quarter of 2011 and for developed sites ends in Q2 2012

-In addition to relying on Google for much of its revenue, a risk factor is that Google will compete more with the company in content creation

-40% of page view traffic to Demand’s own web sites in Q2 2010 came from search engines

-21% of company’s revenue in first half of this year came from eHow — and 60% of eHow’s traffic last quarter came from Google.

-A risk factor is perception of brands — one example is the Livestrong.com brand, which could take a hit if Lance Armstrong’s reputation does.

-Risk factor is liability with its portfolio of domain names, which may infringe on others’ trademark rights (although the company says it screens for that).

-Domain registrations accounted for 37% of total revenue in first half of year. Renewal rate on domains is 73% this year, but was 69% all of last year.

-If rules for acquiring expired domain names change, it could hurt the company

-The company uses your domain name look-ups for its own purposes: “In providing registration services for over 10 million domain names, our Registrar resolves an average of over 2 billion domain name system queries per day. Our Registrar also serviced, on average, more than 3 million domain name look-ups per day from potential customers seeking to register new websites or purchase existing domains during the first six months of 2010. These queries and look-ups provide insight into what consumers may be seeking online and represent a proprietary and valuable source of relevant information for our platform’s title generation algorithms and the algorithms we use to acquire undeveloped websites for our portfolio.”

-In case you didn’t know this already, Demand Media owns “Acquire This Name”.

Here are all of the company’s subsidiaries.

SOURCE: Domain Name Wire

____
Best,
Dan

Last edited:

Domainster

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some more news & opinions in the Demand Media IPO filing at CNNMoney.com

http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/06/technology/demand_media_ipo/index.htm

Unprofitable Demand Media files for IPO
---------------------------------------------
QUOTES:
"But the company has never turned a profit.

Demand Media lost $22 million last year, and in the first six months of this year, it posted a $6 million loss on sales of $114 million. As of June 30, the company had a remaining cash supply of $34 million. Venture capitalists have invested more than $350 million in Demand, which closed its last publicized funding round in 2008."

"The much-anticipated filing spotlights the business operations of one of the media world's most scrutinized startups"

"Demand is notorious for paying those freelancers low rates, typically $15 for an article of several hundred words or $30 for a video. But the company itself is still figuring out how to make their work more profitable than that"
-------------------------------------------
Although, the US IPO market has been making a bit of a comeback lately (in terms of number of offering launches, not neccessarily stock aftermarket performance)...despite a rocky & volitile general stock market environment....it is still dubious to lauch an Initial Public Stock offering in this environment for a company whose income statement is been in the red.

"Well over 60% of the companies who closed on their IPO's in the US this year (somewhere close to 90 IPO's in total) currently see their stock trading below the initial offering price."

--------------------------
Here are links to articles at TechCrunch and DailyFinance

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/06/demand-media-ipo/

Demand Media's IPO: The Devil is in the Details

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/investing/demand-media-ipo-devil-details/19584735/

Last edited:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Their problem is the tech reps no nothing and are not helpful, that combined with it used to take a week to get a support ticket answered.

I moved all my domains away from them about 3 years ago.

The biggest thing was that their tech reps were responsible for bringing dnf down to its knees about 5 years ago when we were hacked.

-=DCG=-

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Their problem is the tech reps no nothing and are not helpful, that combined with it used to take a week to get a support ticket answered.

I moved all my domains away from them about 3 years ago.

The biggest thing was that their tech reps were responsible for bringing dnf down to its knees about 5 years ago when we were hacked.

-=DCG=-

That's interesting to know Adam.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if that IPO flops. I'd also like to know how they value their net assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom